Community Message Boards

Thread: substitute for shrimp?

Question substitute for shrimp?

I am trying to add more whole grains to our diet, and I really want to try this recipe from April 2003 Sunset, but I'm allergic to shellfish (shrimp, crab, lobster, prawns, scallops).

I've heard that monkfish can sub for lobster, but I've never tried it.

Spicy Seafood Stew

Prep and cook time: About 50 minutes

Notes: To have quinoa and stew ready at the same time, start quinoa once you’ve added the potatoes to the stew in step 1. Small squid are sold cleaned and cut into rings at many specialty stores and seafood markets.

Makes: 4 servings

1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 onion (8 oz), peeled, halved, and thinly slivered lengthwise
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1 can (32 oz) diced or crushed tomatoes
    8 oz red or white thin-skinned potatoes (about 1 in. wide), scrubbed and quartered
    1 or 2 fresh hot green chilies such as jalapenos, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and minced
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    12 oz shelled, deveined shrimp (31 to 40 per lb), rinsed
    8 oz tilapia or other white-fleshed fish, rinsed and cut into 1-inch chunks
    4 oz calamari rings (optional, see notes), rinsed
    2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    Cooked quinoa

1. Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic and stir often until onion is very limp, 8 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, 1 ½ cups water, potatoes, chilies, cumin, chili powder, and salt; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, 20 to 25 minutes.
    2. Stir in calamari, if using. Cover and simmer until shrimp and fish are opaque but still moist-looking in the center of thickest part (cut to test), 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Spoon quinoa onto rimmed plates; top with stew.

Per serving of seafood stew: 262 calories, 32g protein; 6.9g fat; 19g carbo; 4.4g fiber; 823g sodium; 156mg chol; 5 WW points.

Cooked Quinoa

In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 cups water to a boil. In a strainer, rinse 1 ½ cups quinoa under running water; drain thoroughly. Add quinoa and ¼ teaspoon salt to pan with boiling water. Adjust heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender t bite, 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 5 cups; about 4 servings

Per serving of quinoa: 238 calories, 8.4g protein; 3.7g fat; 44g carbo; 3.8g fiber; 156mg sodium; 0 mg chol; 4 WW points.

I'm so sorry that you have a shellfish allergy! I adore shrimp...
    Anyway, monkfish is a very firm white fish that I think would be a good substitute for the shrimp (of course, you won't get the exact same taste). Or you could just use extra tilapia or whatever firm-fleshed fish that you plan to use.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Gosh, all shellfish?!? How sad for you. I am allergic to shrimp, but I can safely eat other seafood. Still, I feel like I miss out on recipes because there's not always a great substitution.

I happen to love almost all seafood, but monkfish is one kind of fish that I absolutely will not eat. I had it once at a restaurant and it was terrible. That said, it IS a good substitute for lobster, because it has a very similar chewy texture. I think that's the reason I didn't like it - it has the flavor of fish, so you expect it to be flaky like fish, but it's not. If that wouldn't bother you, go ahead and use it but be warned that the texture is unlike any other fish you've probably had.

If I were in your situation, I think I would make this recipe using several different kinds of fish and calamari rings. It would still make a good fish stew, IMO!

Thanks for the help. I guess I will start by just trying more regular seafood.

I feel sorry for me too!

I used to eat scallops or shrimp once or twice a week. Then one day I developed hives wherever I would touch them...including my mouth and throat. I ate crab a couple more times after that, but then my throat would itch whenever I had it. I don't want to end up in the hospital, so I eschew it all. But I do look on longingly when others have it.

My DH won't eat shellfish, because he's afraid I won't let him kiss me!