Community Message Boards

Thread: Toaster Oven Baking ??

Toaster Oven Baking ??

Has anyone ever baked cookies in a toaster oven? Because the dough is so close to the top element and the heat so concentrated, I was wondering whether I would need to reduce the temperature (however unaccurate it may be) or reduce baking time to prevent them from burning. I can always do trial or error, but I figured maybe I can gain from someone's else trial.

I've done this before when I had just a minimal amount of dough left over from another baking escapade.

I used the toasted oven by setting it to the required temp, and just kept an eye on the cookies. It took several fewer minutes than normal, but I suspect that the times would still vary depending on toaster over brand / size / etc. I'd just keep an eye on it

Good luck - and... what cookies are you making ?

Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

Thanks for your feedback. That is what I thought, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to completely blow it.

My no-brainer cookie recipe is my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie (with walnuts) from the former Commissary Restaurant here in Philly. I whip up the dough quickly and often will freeze it so that it will be available for fresh homemade cookies on-demand. I tried something new with this last batch. I toasted the walnuts before adding them to the dough and it did give the cookies a slightly more nutty flavor. I also under cook them, so that they are more chewy than crunchy.

Originally posted by MLE
    Thanks for your feedback. That is what I thought, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to completely blow it.

My no-brainer cookie recipe is my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie (with walnuts) from the former Commissary Restaurant here in Philly. I whip up the dough quickly and often will freeze it so that it will be available for fresh homemade cookies on-demand. I tried something new with this last batch. I toasted the walnuts before adding them to the dough and it did give the cookies a slightly more nutty flavor. I also under cook them, so that they are more chewy than crunchy.
    They sound delicious!... would you mind posting the recipe - always looking for more, excellent (and recommended) cookie recipes

I also undercook my cookies - nothing is better than fresh out of the over AND chewy delights

Kayla

Here you go:

COMMISSARY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1 c. brown sugar
    1 c. white sugar
    1 c. unsalted butter, softened
    1 t. salt
    1 t. baking soda
    1 t. baking powder
    2 c. flour
    2 eggs
    2 T. milk
    2 t. vanilla
    2 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
    18 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
    1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts (try toasting them first)

Beat sugars and butter until smooth and fluffy; add eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder; gradually beat into batter. By hand, stir in oats, chips and walnuts.

Batter may be dropped onto baking sheet, but for the fatter cookies, chill the dough first. When ready to bake, roll into balls the size of table tennis balls. Place balls on ungreased baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees, about 12 minutes.

My notes:

I make the cookies smaller so I can eat more.
    I bake for 9 - 10 minutes, depending on the size, to make them chewier.
    I always chill the dough, for a few hours, days, or freeze it for the future.

Enjoy!

Originally posted by MLE

My notes:

I make the cookies smaller so I can eat more.
    I bake for 9 - 10 minutes, depending on the size, to make them chewier.
    I always chill the dough, for a few hours, days, or freeze it for the future.

Enjoy! ...
    Thanks for posting the recipe and review!!! I cannot WAIT to try them...

... also, wasn't it someone here who had a signature informing us that there are no calories in broken cookies ... so if you want to eat more of 'em, no worries about making them smaller - just break them in half!