Community Message Boards

Thread: Oxy Clean or Clorox?

Question Oxy Clean or Clorox?

Which would you use?
    Last year I first saw the TV infommercials with the excited 'Billy', showing us the way Oxy Clean works on many things, dissolving the brown/rusty stuff off of that lace curtain, etc.
    Recently, I saw 2 different Clorox commercials, saying Clorox works better. I did buy a big bucket of Oxy Clean and haven't even opened it yet. Have any of you used it with success?
    Does it work like the infommercial says? Thanks for your help.
    Zinnia

I have some, and I use it in every load of white/light clothes. I let them soak for 30 minutes or so. This gets most things about, but doesn't ruin any colored clothing. Personally, bleach is a last resort.

You can also use it to clean carpets and other fabric items.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Zinnia,
    Are you talking about Clorox bleach or the Clorox version of Oxy Clean ( I forget what it's called). I'd assume they are both the same.
    I've used Oxy Clean only once (it was on sale) and wasn't really impressed with it.

Crystal
    "Feelin' Guilty
    For finding a Cheerio in my bra and then going ahead and eating it." Dooce

I would use the OxyClean first. You have to dissolve it in hot water and I have found that sometimes a long soak is needed -- even a second round. The OxyClean is color safe where as regular Clorox is not. It doesn't get everything (not a carpet miracle in my book), but it works with enough things that I keep it around.

I think Clorox does make some sort of Oxi-clean like thing, probably the same exact ingredient (which is basically dried hydrogen peroxide, from my understanding).

OxiClean is iffy for me - works great with some things, not at all with others. Stains have to be "organic" for it to work (wine, grass, sweat, baby spit-up, etc..).
    It works best if you let things soak in it for a while (I usually do overnight). I haven't seem much improvement when I just put a scoop in the washer.

I use Oxyclean in every load of white or light clothes and I have been very happy with it. If we have things that are stained (instead of just the usual kid grime) I do let them soak before washing. I use clorox on whites that I absolutely can't get clean, but try to avoid using it as much as possible because so many white clothes are treated with brighteners and chlorine bleach makes them turn yellowish. I think the clorox commercials are probably right, it does work better when you are working with plain, untreated, whites, but the oxyclean is more versatile so I don't have to be quite so careful about what goes into each load.

Claire

I'm a true believer of oxy-clean, it got red wine out of a cotton sweater. I disolved it in hot water first, added cool water and soaked it. I use it in the wash water of my whites and think it makes a difference.

Oxy Clean is nature friendly - chlorine bleach does horrid things.

Originally posted by Svadhisthana
    Zinnia,
    Are you talking about Clorox bleach or the Clorox version of Oxy Clean ( I forget what it's called). I'd assume they are both the same.
    I've used Oxy Clean only once (it was on sale) and wasn't really impressed with it.

Crystal
    Crystal,
    The commercials I saw were comparing just reg. plain Clorox bleach with the Oxy Clean for doing laundry. I have seen the Clorox Oxy-type ones too for stains on carpet, etc. I will give it a try-I have used Clorox in the wash before and will give Oxy Clean a try.

This may sound weird, but I have some (cheap-type) white mini blinds that are dingy and yellowish. I was thinking of dissolving some Oxy Clean in a tub of hot water and laying my blinds in there for awhile and see if they come clean.. Have you ever tried cleaning those darn things by hand?-it would take a week for me to clean them, lol! I wonder if I lay the blinds in the tub of hot, Oxy Clean water, if they will magically come clean?? Hmmmmm..
    Thanks for all of the help and advice everyone, Zinnia

Thumbs down oxy clean vs. clorex

sorry, i wouldn't use either. the chemicals that are used in these products are very harmful. not only to ourselves as adults, but very, very harmful to children.

i have found a direct marketing company that sells items that are harmless to children and are ecology safe. let me know if your intersted and i'll forward on this information to you.