Community Message Boards

Thread: pure coconut extract

Question pure coconut extract

does anyone know of a place I can buy this online? I bought imitation coconut extract in the grocery store but I want to try the real thing. thanks!

val

Hi Val

I might try your local organic / natural food store. I know Lori's Natural Foods in upstate New York carries natural extracts (great for baking), so one near you might as well.

If you end up not being able to find any locally, here's a link where you can order some:

http://www.icdc.com/~vanilla/Pure%20...%20Extract.htm
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

You can try Watkins, here's the link:
    http://www.watkinsonline.com/product...E000508BAC0FD1

If that doesn't work, just try: http://www.watkinsonline.com

I personally haven't tried this brand, but it was the only brand that came up that said "extract" and not "flavor". Right now I'm using Wagner's Coconut flavor and it seems pretty good. I found it at Whole Foods, but I don't think you have one of those near you. If you do end up buying the pure extract, let us know how it compares to the imitation.

Originally posted by tracey67
    You can try Watkins...
    Hi Tracey - I went to that site a little while ago, and it does look like they have that extract - I think it's something like $6 or $7 for a 2 oz. bottle

Hi Kayla!

yeah, I'm just wondering if it's definitely PURE extract. It says "coconut extract", but then the description says "realistic flavor...". Well...if it's pure extract then why wouldn't it have realistic flavor? I guess I'm just being skeptical since it doesn't use "pure" in its title. Does that make any sense?

Originally posted by tracey67
    Hi Kayla!

yeah, I'm just wondering if it's definitely PURE extract. It says "coconut extract", but then the description says "realistic flavor...". Well...if it's pure extract then why wouldn't it have realistic flavor? I guess I'm just being skeptical since it doesn't use "pure" in its title. Does that make any sense?
    I was wondering the same thing! That's what made me a bit apprehensive to put the link down... but here's one I found that's just $4.79 for a 2 oz. bottle delivered FedEx from netgrocer.com (it's organic too):

http://www.netgrocer.com/

If that page isn't it exactly, just type in extract up in the search bar and it's on the third page

thanks, guys. I looked on watkins before I posted here, but I didn't see the coconut. guess I just overlooked it. I don't have any local health store that I go to... I don't go on shopping expeditions, as I hate to shop. I do all my shopping online, except for standard groceries.

I will check those links you posted.

thanks again!

val

I think I purchased mine from Frontier...
    I'll go look and see what I have and what it says...

their site, I believe is
    www.frontiercoop.com

I'll post back
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Originally posted by valchemist
    ...I looked on watkins before I posted here, but I didn't see the coconut. guess I just overlooked it...

thanks again!

val
    Welcome, Val I hope you find what you need - I know I've been disappointed with immitation flavors in the past, so with luck you'll find a good coconut extract. I'm still not sure if the Watkins is actually natural extract or not, but you'll probably know better than I would!

Enjoy, and happy online shopping (it is the best and most convenient )

Kayla

thanks. I ordered it from netgrocer already!

Originally posted by valchemist
    thanks. I ordered it from netgrocer already!
    that was quick! ... hope it gets to you all right FedEx is generally great

Val, glad you found it...
    mine is by "flavorganics" from frontier and it is pure coconut extract with agave syrup as a sweetener, 2-oz.

What are you making
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thanks for the netgrocer link, Kayla. I had never heard of them before, but it looks like they have alot of good stuff. I'm bookmarking the link!

Originally posted by wallycat
    Val, glad you found it...
    mine is by "flavorganics" from frontier and it is pure coconut extract with agave syrup as a sweetener, 2-oz.

What are you making
    the kind at net grocer was flavorganics brand, too.

someday (not anytime soon since I just made the Italian Cream Cake) I plan to make a coconut cake from Cook's Illustrated. I have always wanted to make a real coconut cake, and their recipe looks great. I just finished typing it into mastercook. here it is!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Layer Cake

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    cake:
    1 egg
    5 egg whites
    3/4 c cream of coconut
    1/4 c water
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp coconut extract
    2 1/4 c cake flour -- sifted
    1 c sugar
    1 tbsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    12 tbsps butter -- cut into 12 pieces, softened but still cool
    8 ozs sweetened coconut flakes -- 2 cups packed
    buttercream:
    4 egg whites
    1 c sugar
    pinch of salt
    1 lb unsalted butter -- each stick cut into 6 pieces, softened but still cool
    1/4 c cream of coconut
    1 tsp vanilla

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with shortening and dust with flour. Beat egg whites and whole egg in a large measuring cup with a fork to combine. Add cream of coconut, water, vanilla, and coconut extract and beat with a fork until thoroughly combined. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle. Mix on lowest speed to combine, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running on lowest speed, add butter, one piece at a time, then beat until mixture resembles a coarse meal, with butter bits no larger than small peas, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. With mixer stil running, add 1 cup liquid. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, 45 seconds. With mixer still running, add remaining cup of liquid in a steady stream (this should take 15 seconds). Batter will be thick.

Divede batter between pans and smooth with a spatula. Bake until deep golden brown, cakes pull away from sides of pan, and toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Rotate the cakes after 20 minutes. Do not turn off oven. Cool pans on wire racks about 10 minutes, then loosen cakes from sides of pans with a paring knife, invert cakes onto racks and then re-invert. Cool to room temperature.

To toast the coconut: While cakes are cooling, spread the shredded coconut on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until shreds are a mix of golden crown and white, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. Cool to room temperature.

For the frosting: Combine whites, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer. Set bowl over saucepan containing 1 1/2 inches of barely simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture is opaque and warm to the touch and registers 120 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 2 minutes. Transfer bowl to mixer and beat whites on high speed with whisk attachment until barely warm (about 80 degrees) and whites are glossy and sticky, about 7 minutes. Reduce speed to medium high and beat in butter, 1 piece at a time. Beat in cream of coconut and coconut and vanilla extracts. Stop mixer and scrape bottom and sides of bowl. Continue to beat at medium-high speed until well combined, about 1 minute.

To assemble: With a serrated knife, cut both cakes in half horizontally so that each cake forms two layers. Put a dab of icing on a cardboard round and center one cake layer on the round. Place a large blob of icing in the center of the layer and spread to the edges with an icing spatula. Hold the spatula at a 45 degree angle to the cake and drag it across the surface to level the icing. Repeat the procedure with the remaining cake layers. To ice the sides of the cake, scoop up a large dab of icing with the tip of the spatula and spread it on the sides with short side-to-side strokes. Sprinkle the top of the cake with coconut. Then press the coconut into the sides, letting the excess fall back onto a baking sheet.

Cut into slices and serve. Wrap leftover cake in plastic and refrigerate; bring to room temperature before serving.

Source:
    "Cook's Illustrated, March/April 2001"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : Cream of Coconut is found in the soda/drink mix aisle. One 15-oz can is enough for both the cake and the frosting. Be sure to stir it well before using.

Wowzas, Val for typing that whole thing up! It looks great - let us know how it goes

Kayla

Val-

That is so funny. I've been thinking about a coconut cake for Easter. I've never made one on my own but my mom used to make Southern Living's "Fresh Coconut Cake" for my birthday. The cake itself is nothing to write home about but the icing topped with fresh coconut flakes and the fresh coconut filling is so wonderful.

Laura
    BACON - A Los Angeles librarian reports she finally found it necessary to revoke a gentleman's library card. Because her repeated letters to him, telephone calls, and face-to-face pleas still failed to break him of the peculiar habit of using strips of raw bacon as bookmarks.

-Boyd's Book of Odd Facts

Coconut cake is always served at Christmas in our family. Grandpa grates the coconuts himself. It is sooo moist and wonderful. Val, if you'd like that recipe as well, I'm sure I can find it!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Originally posted by badunnin
    Coconut cake is always served at Christmas in our family. Grandpa grates the coconuts himself. It is sooo moist and wonderful. Val, if you'd like that recipe as well, I'm sure I can find it!
    Well, I'm not Val, but could you post the recipe for me? Nothing like a tried and true delicious cake - especially coconut for summer too

Kayla

Here you go Kayla! I had to call my aunt last night to get details on it - I found the recipe card, but, because my grandmother had made it so many times, it was merely notes and a few measurements! I had to have the gaps filled in for me!

Gram's Christmas Coconut Cake
    1 coconut
    1 White cake mix (I'm sure you could do from scratch if you wished)
    2 c milk
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1/2 stick oleo (teehee! Use butter - 1/4 c)
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Pierce eyes of coconut and reserve the milk (strain the liquid). Remove the meat from the coconut with the method of your choice, and grate. Bake white cake according to directions. Boil milk, sugar and butter for 10 minutes. After it's cooked, add vanilla. Put one layer upside down on plate. Poke holes in cake with a fork, and add 1/2 coconut milk. Add half cooked frosting, and spread with 1/2 coconut meat. Repeat with top layer.

Note: I always thought that the liquid from the coconut was coconut water, not milk, but that is indeed what you want to be using, not canned coconut milk. Make sense?
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Here you go Kayla! I had to call my aunt last night to get details on it - I found the recipe card, but, because my grandmother had made it so many times, it was merely notes and a few measurements! I had to have the gaps filled in for me!
    Thanks, Bethany! I dug through the dozens of threads today and finally found it!

It looks simple, but delicious! Definitely something I could whip together quickly - thank you!

Kayla

p.s. you're TOO sweet for actually calling your aunt to fill in the recipe's gaps, and yes, everything you mentioned made sense

I am intimidated by whole coconuts. I wouldn't be able to "quickly whip up" any recipe that used a whole coconut. But I am sure it makes the cake sooo much better. Thank you for sharing the recipe, Bethany. It looks great.

Val - they actually sell coconuts around here that are pre-scored and come with a little band around them telling you how to get everything out. I've actually been pretty successful with them.

Val - they actually sell coconuts around here that are pre-scored and come with a little band around them telling you how to get everything out. I've actually been pretty successful with them.
    really interesting. I've never seen that. it's a great idea.