Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Marinated Hot Dog Recipe From Southern Living

ISO: Marinated Hot Dog Recipe From Southern Living

HELP! Last year I made a recipe out of Southern Living called "Marinated Hot Dogs"--my kids loved it. It had a can of cola in it, along with brown sugar, ketchup, onion, vinegar, etc.

Unfortunately, my husband has thrown that particular issue out and I have tried numerous times to recreate the recipe from memory but it is just not coming out right.

If someone can please look through their old issues I would appreciate it.

The issue came out in 2002, the front cover had azaleas on it (I think) or it had a big article about azaleas. The recipe was under an article called "Top Dogs" and I swear it was around page 175 or something. I've done a search on the internet and the Southern Living site and cannot find anything.

Thanks for your help.
    Christine

I did something similiar to you, once. I had a picture from the magazine and what I thought was the recipe- it was not the right recipe. So, I wrote Southern LIving, told them what the picture looked like and what month/year it was from. They found the recipe and emailed it to me!

That's my suggestion for you! I think I just found a contact address at Southern Living's website.

HOpe it works!
    Christina <><
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

Christina,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I've gone ahead and contacted SL; however, they may take up to 2 weeks to respond. I really wanted to make it tonight. Maybe someone will come through for me!
    Thanks,
    Christine

I don't know if this will have what you're looking for, but here's a link to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council website.
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

I have the annual. I'll look it up when I get home. You may have to put it off until tomorrow night, though, since I won't be able to post until after kickboxing (I'm done at 7 PM).
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

JHolcomb,
    Thanks, appreciate it. I found a reasonable substitute on the web today (Bourbon Hot Dogs). When I ran across it, I then remembered that the SL one did call for bourbon OR cola in place of the bourbon. So, it actually might be called Bourbon Marinated Hot Dogs. Even though I found this recipe, I still would like the SL one because this one is not quite the same.
    Christine

Here ya go...

Bourbon Sausage Dogs

2/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
    2/3 cups ketchup
    1/2 cup bourbon or cola soft drink
    2 tbs minced onion
    1 (16 oz) package bun length smoked sausage
    8 hot dog buns
    Coleslaw

Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large skillet over low heat; add sausage. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Serve on buns with coleslaw.

Do you need the coleslaw recipe? Let me know.

Jen
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Oh thank you Jen!!! No I don't need the coleslaw recipe--I actually tried that once and it wasn't too good. But thanks for this recipe. The measurements of the one I had last night were not quite the same and it was a little on the sweet side. Thank you!
    Christine