Community Message Boards

Thread: Green Bean Casserole

Green Bean Casserole

Ok....I was asked to make this for Easter. Yes, I almost fainted (no offense to GBC lovers). I think my girlfriend suggested this for me to make to see my reaction. Plus, she grew up with this. I did not. I have never had it!

Anyway, can this be more from scratch? Any ideas? Alternative to the Durkee onion thing? Alternative to the can of mushroom soup thing?

Help me please...or she's gettin' the asparagus (which she hates).

TIA,

Karen

I hate cream of mushroom ANYTHING - and I loved this one from CL. My cheese hating - GBC loving DH loved it too. I did sub the Durkee onions for the stuffing topping, just because the DH loves them so much, and truthfully, they weren't too awful, but I can definitely give a big thumbs up to the green bean part.

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Green Bean Casserole

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: Nov/Dec 1995 PAGE: 91

INGREDIENTS FOR 8 SERVINGS:
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-sodium, reduced-fat Swiss cheese
    1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 (9-ounce) packages frozen French-style green beans, thawed and drained
    1-1/2 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
    2 teaspoons margarine, melted
    1 egg white, lightly beaten

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray, and place over medium heat until hot. Add onion; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk, stirring until blended. Stir in cheese, sour cream, sugar, and salt; cook 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.

Place green beans in an 8-inch square baking dish; pour the sauce over beans. Combine stuffing mix, margarine, and egg white in a bowl; stir well, and sprinkle over green bean mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    CALORIES 139 (30% from fat); PROTEIN 6.9g; FAT 4.7g (sat 2.1g, mono 1g, poly 0.5g); CARB 18.7g; FIBER 2.1g; CHOL 11mg; IRON 0.8mg; SODIUM 382mg; CALC 169mg

Hi Karen,

I made this dish from Food & Wine last year for Thanksgiving (or Christmas - can't remember) - JenniferJJ posted it last year. It got RAVE reviews. My DH loved the old Durkee recipe (I think it's a comfort food thing), until he had this.

Green Beans with Cremini Mushroom Sauce
    10 SERVINGS

1 pound shallots, thinly sliced
    1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    Vegetable oil, for frying
    Salt
    2 1/2 pounds green beans
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    Freshly ground pepper
    1 pound cremini mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
    2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
    1/2 cup crème fraîche
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the shallots with 1/3 cup of the flour; shake off any excess flour. In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 inch of oil until shimmering. Add the shallots in 2 batches and fry over moderate heat until very crisp, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels, then sprinkle with salt.

2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the beans until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water; drain and pat dry.

3. Melt the butter in a large, enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, cayenne and a large pinch of pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the mushrooms, cover and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons of flour and gradually stir in the stock until smooth.

4. Simmer the mushroom sauce over low heat, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche, lemon juice and beans. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large glass or ceramic baking dish.

5. Preheat the oven to 400°. Cover the casserole with foil and bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes. Uncover, scatter the shallots on top and serve.

MAKE AHEAD The assembled casserole can be refrigerated overnight. Let return to room temperature before baking. The fried shallots can be kept overnight in an airtight container. Recrisp in a 350° oven and let cool.

--Marcia Kiesel

This recipe originally appeared in November 2001.

I don't think I'd ever had one before this past Christmas when I made a recipe I saw on TV - might have been this one from Tyler Florence, though I don't know that I remember the canned onions
    I thought it was pretty good, though I do recall noting that I'd cut back on the milk next time:

Green Bean & Pearl Onion Casserole
    1 pound fresh green beans
    2 cups pearl onions
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 shallot, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    3 cups assorted wild mushrooms, sliced (such as oyster, cremini and shiitake)
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
    2 tablespoons flour
    3 cups milk
    1 can fried onions

Blanch the green beans and pearl onions by placing them into a large pot of rapidly boiling water. Cook them for about 2 minutes, until the green beans have brightened in color. Remove the vegetables from the boiling water with a strainer then plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Drain them, then remove the skins from the onions and set aside.
    Coat a skillet with olive oil and butter over medium heat. Sweat the garlic and shallot down until they caramelize. Add the bay leaves then the assorted mushrooms. Stir to combine, season with salt, pepper and thyme. Sprinkle the mixture with flour to tighten up. Add the milk and boil for 3 minutes to thicken.

Place the green beans and pearl onions in a 2-quart casserole dish. Pour the "mushroom soup" over the vegetables. Toss to make sure the vegetables are well coated. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Top with fried onions and continue to bake for 10 minutes.

HDgirl, if your friend asked for this because it's a tradition or memory from her childhood, I'd make it like it says on the can. If you substitute anything it won't be the same - to her. It might be better but it won't be the same.

My sister has to have the traditional canned mushroom soup, canned green bean, Durkee fried onions casserole or it just won't do.

My advice would be to make it, take it, and don't eat it yourself. ;-)

Thanks for the recipes. Don't know which one I'll go with but at least I don't feel lost now.

ellielk - thanks for your thoughts. Claudia will totally appreciate an updated version. Plus, she'll be happy it isn't asparagus!!

My mom's version of a green bean casserole is a staple at our holiday dinners, and it has nothing to do with those onion rings. Actually, I've never had that version.

I love this one. If you try it, let me know what you think!

Green Bean Casserole
    2 T butter
    2 T floud
    1 t sugar
    1 t salt
    1/4 t pepper
    1/2 onion, finely chopped
    1 cup sour cream
    4 cups cooked french style green beans
    1/2 lb shredded swiss cheese
    1 cup corn flake crumbs, in 2 T melted butter

Melt the butter.
    Add flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and onions until onions are translucent.
    Add sour cream, then heat briefly.
    Add green beans and stir.
    Place into 9x13 casserole.
    Top with swiss cheese.
    Put corn flake crumbs on top.
    Bake for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees.

-Linda
    Linda