Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with the ham bone?

What to do with the ham bone?

I have a big flavorful HoneyBaked Ham bone left from yesterday, any recipes out there I can use to take advantage of this? Beans? Soups? I'll take anything you have!

Split Pea Soup comes to mind I'll have to dig up a recipe though!
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

I'd toss it in a crockpot with a pound of pinto beans, chopped onion, garlic and pepper. Then indulge with some cornbread. Yummmmmmmmm!

Sounds good right now, our weather is yucky.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

This is the one I use. Sometimes I half the recipe if I don't want to freeze it for later use.
    I will also make it this week, after all the ham has been cut off the bone!

* Exported from MasterCook *

SPLIT PEA SOUP

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:30
    Categories : Beans Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 Pound Green Split Peas -- Washed & picked
    8 Cups Cold Water
    1 Meaty Ham Bone
    3/4 Cup Onion -- Chopped
    3/4 Cup Celery -- Diced
    3/4 Cup Carrots -- Raw, Diced
    1 Clove Garlic -- Sliced
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Bay Leaf
    1/4 Teaspoon Marjoram
    1/4 Teaspoon Thyme
    1 Dash Cayenne Pepper

Combine all ingredients in heavy kettle with a tight-fitting lid. Bring water to boiling point. Cover. Reduce heat. Simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Split peas require no soaking.
    Remove ham bone. Take off meat; cut in pieces and add to soup, not sieved but stirred well. Thin to the desired consistency with a little more water.
    Can be cooked in large quantities and frozen for later use.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Curleytop

bumping
    Leisa

The last ham bone I had, I boiled along with an onion, for several hours, removed the bone strained the broth into a pitcher and refrigerated it overnight. I threw away the fat that rose to the top and then used the ham broth to make a pot of red beans. They were really good and lower in fat than they are when I cook the beans and the ham bone together. I think you could freeze the broth too.
    Mary Ann

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I'd make ham stock beforehand, as masimmons suggests, and make a big pot of gumbo.

Since it's from a Honey baked ham, though, I wonder if it would be necessary to rinse off any sugar that might be on it? Anybody ever had a problem with 'too sweet' ham stock?
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So it's okay to do a ham bone in the crock pot? I guess if chicken bones do okay, ham bones would too. I've just not done it before. What about the split pea soup in a crock pot? Would the peas get too mushy?

Little Bit is right....a Honey Baked hambone is too sweet (for my taste anyway) for any kind of bean/pea soup. I've tried and it was pretty bad...but maybe if you rinsed it. Maybe others have had better experiences tho.

My hambone solution is one my kids always hated - the dreaded ham soup!!! Boil the ham bone until it starts to fall off the bone. Remove the meat from the bone and put it back in the broth. Throw in some cubed potatoes and green beans. Enjoy!!

Originally posted by dixie
    Little Bit is right....a Honey Baked hambone is too sweet (for my taste anyway) for any kind of bean/pea soup. I've tried and it was pretty bad...but maybe if you rinsed it. Maybe others have had better experiences tho.
    I've used the honey baked ham bones a lot of times, just rinse it first and you'll be fine.

Also for anyone that is curious, you can buy ham bones from honey baked any time of year for soup or bean recipes they also sell split pea and mixed bean soup starters. The mixed bean is very good!
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will most definitely rinse it off first.

Swquilts ~ when you do the pinto beans, are they the dried? Do you soak them first?

Masimmons ~ do you have a recipe for the red beans? Can ya tell I'm a bean fan.

Any other recipes for beans out there? I'm going to have to pass on the pea soup, no one here eats peas.

I've made black bean soup with a Honey Baked ham bone without rinsing and it was very good. I froze it in individual containers for myself because no one eats it. Hopefully will be making it again by the end of the week if the requested ham bone doesn't get pitched.

I shared a non-bean ham bone soup on the following thread:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...&highlight=ham

Good luck!

My mom used to boil the bones and make a stock and then make a barley soup with barley[duh], onions, carrots, celery and potatoes. It's very good.
    laurel3

My mom used to make a split pea soup that's kind of different. All my old childhood friends have asked for the recipe and this is my oldest son's choice for a birthday present. My mother used to make in in a pressure cooker but I do it in a slow cooker. It requires the ingredients to be pureed in a blender at the end.

Split Pea Soup

1 soup bone
    1 onion, quartered
    1 pkg. green split peas, picked through
    1 clove garlic
    1 stalk celery, cut in 2" pieces
    1 carrot, cut in 1" pieces
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1 lb. all-beef hot dogs

Put first 6 ingredients in slow cooker and let simmer until peas are mushy and carrot is soft.

Remove bone from pot and remove any meat still clinging to the bone. Throw away bone.

Put meat and remaining ingredients from slow cooker in blender in 2-3 cup portions and puree. Pour puree in another pot or bowl to hold.

When all cooked ingredients are pureed, return to slow cooker along with tomato sauce and hot dogs cut in coins. Stir until tomato sauce is thoroughly mixed in. Heat until hot dogs are heated through or about 1/2 hour.

I sometimes add half the hot dogs and reserve the others for when I'm reheating the soup.