Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you store fresh nutmeg?

How do you store fresh nutmeg?

...and how long will it keep?
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Here's what I found:

Nutmeg
    Tips For Cooking and Storing: Nutmeg seeds are large, but keep their flavor better stored whole versus ground. A robust flavor that is best when added at the end of cooking.

...and...

"Nuts for Nutmeg"
    From The San Francisco Examiner
    S.F. Eats! 11/27/2002

Swirl it into eggnog, sprinkle it on custard, shake it over squash. 'Tis the season for nutmeg.

First identified by the Portuguese when they arrived in the Spice Islands in 1512, the spice became so popular in the 18th century that some nutmeg-lovers toted tiny silver graters in their pockets for their food or drink.

Good thinking. This spice is one of the most versatile on your rack, adding a rich, warm flavor to sweet or savory dishes.

Whether in mashed potatoes, squash, vegetable purée, or an egg or cheese dish, nutmeg tastes best when it is freshly ground, and the aroma is enough to make your taste buds break out in song.

The best nutmeg has a smooth finish and dark brown color. To cull the spice, the nutmeg shell is opened, and then dried for six to eight weeks. The nutmeg kernel is surrounded by a red, netlike covering which, when dried, is the spice mace -- very similar to nutmeg, but more mild and subtle.

Remember to keep all of your spices in a cabinet or drawer for a longer shelf life. And to keep your grater handy ... you never know when you'll have the need for nutmeg.

...and...

From Morton and Bassett:

"The enemies of fresh spice flavor and color are heat, light, air and moisture. Keep all your spices away from heat…that means don't store them on top of your stove, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator or oven! Also, keep them out of the light. This will help them retain their color and flavor. The best place to store them is in a cupboard or drawer. Note that our jars have names on top of their lids for easy organization in a drawer! If you use an open spice rack, be sure to keep it out of direct sunlight. As for air, our jars and lids are perfect for an airtight seal. Moisture is the last culprit. Our jars will keep the moisture out in most circumstances, but for those of you who like to store spices in your refrigerator, just be careful about leaving a cold jar open on the counter top. Moisture can form on the jar."
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

Do you mean the whole nutmeg, or ground. I have the whole and I store it in the bag that it came in from Penzey's. It's in a dark, cool place. Not sure of the shelf life. I guess when the taste disappears.

kayla, you rock!

FUnnybone, I mean whole....dont tell, Ive NEVER bought or used it whole! Iwas afraid I wouldnt use it enough. I guess Im ready for a new adventure!
    ~Kim~

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

I think whole nutmeg stays good pretty much forever as long as you store it properly.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I bought some at Whole Foods about five or six monthes ago. I keep it in the jar it came in and it still tastes fine. I love freshly ground nutmeg!

Mine is in the original jar, in the pantry
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I keep my unused nuts in jar in my pantry. The ones I'm "working on" are in the smallest Tupperware container in the 'fridge. The 'fridge ones seem to keep forever as well. I just bring them out, grate on my microplane and plop them back in the container.
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Here's a recent thread with some more answers...
    Questions about whole nutmeg...

Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Nutmeg is illegal in Saudi Arabia. So while I lived there I would smuggle whole nutmeg into the country. I can tell you, definitively, that whole nutmeg, stored in a small glass jar, lasts indefinitely.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Ok, so I bought it today. NOW, as I look at it, Im wondering HOW to use the sucker! Do I just start grating with my microplane? Do you open it up and use something inside? If you use the outside, do you wash it first?

And here I thought I knew lots about food....Im learning all of hte time
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Just start grating with your microplane......... I do not wash it.
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Thanks

We are going to use it tomorrow night in some cocktails...
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Originally posted by shscharles
    Nutmeg is illegal in Saudi Arabia.
    Why is that????
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Nutmeg is illegal in Saudi Arabia. So while I lived there I would smuggle whole nutmeg into the country. I can tell you, definitively, that whole nutmeg, stored in a small glass jar, lasts indefinitely.
    Weird...is that because it's potentially hallucinigenic?? Or some other weird reason.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I'm curious to know why too. But, Sonja, you are quite the rebel!!
    Last edited by ErinM; 04-24-2003 at 09:32 PM.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Nutmeg in large quantities is thought to be an aphrodisiac AND an hallucinogenic. (Not unlike the huge quantities of saccherine that killed lab rats in the 70s and wound up with saccherine on OUR banned list for a long time)!

But the nutmeg thing is a hoot, isn't it? This perfectly respectable woman is an international smuggler!
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr