Community Message Boards

Thread: butter flavored shortening?

Question butter flavored shortening?

I plan to make a cookie recipe today that calls for butter flavored shortening in the dough and the icing, but I don't have any on hand. I have butter and I have shortening...can I substitute? Do you think half of each would work? The cookie is supposed to be very soft and moist so I wasn't sure if butter would make them too crisp. If it helps, the recipe is for Angel Pillows. They are a soft apricot flavored cookie with pecans that is iced with apricot frosting and sprinkled with coconut.

I really don't feel like fighting the crowds at the store today for one ingredient.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I always use half butter and half shortening in my cookie recipes that call for all butter or butter-flavored shortening. I have never had a bad batch. Every time I use all butter, the cookies spread too much and they cook too fast and become too crispy (I like my cookies soft and chewy). I bought some Crisco butter-flavored shortening a while back and was grossed out by it. The fake color and the smell was too much for me to stomach. Somehow, the traditional vegetable shortening doesn't bother me. Anyway, go for the butter/shortening combination. I hope your cookies turn out as good as mine always have.

Happy Baking!
    The road to someday leads to nowhere.