Community Message Boards

Thread: When are bananas too ripe for cooking?

When are bananas too ripe for cooking?

I just peeled some very ripe bananas. Some of the insides have started turning brown and are a different texture than the usual white/yellow color. They smell ok. Are these too ripe for baking with?

I bake with bananas like that all the time and have never gotten sick. IMO, they should be fine.

I toss them out when they are wet and soggy. Otherwise, the browner the better.

I too have used such bananas in baking without any problems and think they have great flavor. I basically throw them away only if they have fruit fly infestations, which is usually the next step after what you have described. :P Just make sure whatever it is is baked thoroughly!

Thanks to all of you for your QUICK replies!
    My banana chocolate chip bars are in the oven. One of the bananas was brown all the way through and very yucky looking, but it smelled like a banana. No flies either. This is by far the ripest banana I've ever baked with. I'll let you know if we keel over!

HOW will you let us know if you "keel over"?

My dad always said there is no such thing as a rotten banana...they just get riper and riper!! I'm not sure I would go that far, but the riper they are, the sweeter they are for baking. Many recipes actually call for "very ripe" or "overripe" bananas to achieve the best results. At some point they do start to disintegrate (sp?) and the contents are rather watery, but until then....bake away!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Talking

I fed them to my kids first. Good mother, huh?

The kids didn't keel over or complain about the taste (my older son had two) so I suppose they are ok. I had a little. They were a little moister than usual but other than that they seem ok. They'll have to be -- I'm taking the rest into the school teachers tomorrow .

Thanks again for the advice!