Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does SHERRY keep once opened?

Question How long does SHERRY keep once opened?

Hello all~

After years of subbing cooking sherry for sherry [wine], my dh bought me a REAL bottle of sherry! I am very excited to use it and compare results but am unsure how long it will keep. What is your experience? www.foodsubs.com says a week in the frig once opened. Has anyone frozen it in ice cube trays? This is the size of a regular wine bottle so I don't think I can use it all up in that time. I have two recipes to use it in: CLs Ham Tetrazini and a lentil soup recipe that Kathy B posted. Any other favorite recipes using sherry??? I guess I could always just drink it too!

Thanks,
    Susan

Wow - a week in the fridge once opened? I've had a bottle of sherry in my alcohol cupboard for like a year and a half (opened) -- and I just used it recently!

Do you think that they meant this for cooking sherry only? (I mean, on "Frasier" Niles and Frasier are always drinking sherry from the shelf, not the fridge.)

I have always thought that alcohol - with the exception of wine - kept pretty much indefinitely once opened.

Well - I found this on-line:

The popularity of ports and sherries has plummeted dramatically over the years but winter time always sees a renewed interest.

If you are safely tucked up at home in this colder weather, a sherry or port is always nice. While the fortifying spirit added to these wines means that they are more robust than a normal table wine it doesn't mean that they will last indefinitely once opened. Just like a bottle of red or white wine that begins deteriorating once it is opened, so does a bottle of sherry and port.

These fortified wines will last longer and won't go off but certainly won't stay as fresh as they were when opened.

The idea of pouring a sherry or port into a decanter and keeping it on hand for yourself or guests is well and good, but I would suggest keeping it over as short a period as possible. The wine does change.

It is an easy thing to test. Next time, before an old bottle is completely finished, compare a newly purchased bottle of the same brand and type with the older opened bottle.

I am sure you will notice the difference. Whether the difference is enough to bother you is another thing.

I recommend not keeping them open for longer than two weeks.

So, if you have a bottle or decanter of sherry or port that has been open for a long time it might be best to despatch it down the drain and start anew.

So - I guess it might be time for me to "start anew" with my old bottle! But apparently it would keep for a few weeks at least without refridgeration.

Don't feel bad, Beth - I do what you do and have used a bottle of sherry that's been open in my cupboard for many MANY months.

It's always worked out fine for me, so I will probably continue to do it.

Originally posted by aggie94
    Don't feel bad, Beth - I do what you do and have used a bottle of sherry that's been open in my cupboard for many MANY months.

It's always worked out fine for me, so I will probably continue to do it.
    me too.

Thanks, Beth and Eva! I think I will give this bottle the 2 weeks in the frig treatment since DH already stuck it in there unopened . I think I will try the cupboard method with the next one. Now to find more sherry recipes.

Originally posted by valchemist

me too.
    Thanks, Val! If the BBoard Queen does it, it must be right!

Oh, I've had a bottle in the fridge for a good year. It's still more than ok for cooking.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I leave mine out for months. I usually only use it for cooking but I don't think it's ever gone "bad." I was surprised to hear that foodsubs recommends only keeping it around for a week in the fridge.

Well -- I feel better that I wasn't alone in keeping sherry for so long.

I never drink sherry - but prefer "real" sherry to cooking sherry considerably. I guess I won't worry about it too much. . .

Well, talk about timing. I'm making Grilled Striped Bass with Chunky Mango-Ginger Sauce for dinner tonight and it calls for sherry.
    I love this recipe, but haven't made it for about a year. Which means that my bottle of sherry is about a year old (sitting in my cabinet).

This recipe is wonderful. DF and I love, love, love it. I usually use sea bass.

Grilled Striped Bass with Chunky Mango-Ginger Sauce
    4 (6-ounce) striped bass or other firm white fish fillets (such as amberjack or grouper)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup Chunky Mango-Ginger Sauce

Chunky Mango-ginger Sauce

INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cups finely chopped red onion
    2 cups cubed peeled ripe mango
    1 cup chopped tomato
    3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup dry sherry
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    3 tablespoons white vinegar

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mango, tomato, ginger, and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes.

YIELD: 2-1/2 cups(serving size: 1 tablespoon)
    Sara

I keep sherry, vermouth and burgundy in the pantry all the time for cooking, and have never had any trouble with any of it. At least, not that I ever noticed.

JHolcomb, eliw23, sararosalie, &, luckylori~ Glad for the additional input! Thanks!

sararosalie~ Thanks for posting that recipe-yummers! Hope you and your DF enjoy it tonight! I look forward to trying it.

~Susan~

I'm another one who keeps an opened bottle (unrefrigerated) of such wines for a year or more - don't even ask how old my Madeira is! I was recently trying to decide what to use in a recipe, so I poured tiny amounts of the sherry, Madeira, Marsala, and Port (for purely culinary research purposes, of course) into cordial glasses and sipped each one -- none tasted "off" to me.
    Susan, I almost always use sherry in stir-fry recipes that call for rice wine (I make kind of a lot of stir-fries) and always use it when cooking with mushrooms (though I know a lot of people hate those babies): I make a couple of mushroom soup recipes -- there goes 1/2 cup of sherry right there -- and also like to sauté mushrooms and deglaze the pan with sherry.

While I may not keep "drinking" sherry very long once open, for oxidation does affect color, smell and flavor; I find for cooking it doesn't make much difference and can last years . . . .
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

You know, I think I'm going to pitch those bottles of 'cooking' wine right now, and go get the real thing. I use sherry in all my stir-fries too, Canice, and deglaze with it as well. I can't wait to try it in a glass, since I love wine, but have never had sherry. I learn something from you guys every day!
    Wendy

Run4joy,

Quite a few of us by the little 4 packs of red and white wine for cooking. Each little bottle holds about 3/4 a cup.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Originally posted by Canice
    Susan, I almost always use sherry in stir-fry recipes that call for rice wine (I make kind of a lot of stir-fries) and always use it when cooking with mushrooms (though I know a lot of people hate those babies): I make a couple of mushroom soup recipes -- there goes 1/2 cup of sherry right there -- and also like to sauté mushrooms and deglaze the pan with sherry.
    Canice~ Thanks for the tip about subbing for rice wine!!! Excellent! I usually do more stir-fries in the summer with the fresh veggies. I have just recently gotten over my mushroom phobia too!

lakelady1~ Thanks for your input!

Leigh~ I use those little 4 packs too! I wish they had the same thing for sherry.

Originally posted by run4joy
    I learn something from you guys every day!

Me too!!

~Susan~

I use the bottle stoppers that came with my FoodSaver and suck all the air out. It seems like the wines stay fresh. We don't drink it, I just cook with it, so I usually have a previously opened white, red (although I often buy the little bottles myself), marsala, and sherry. I've never noticed a problem, either.
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

Do they actually have sherry, marsala, etc. in those little bottles? I've only seen chardonnay, merlot, and so on, but that is really the way to go if I can find those single serving sized bottles.
    Wendy

I buy my sherry in TJs and keep it in the cupboard until it is used, which might be a year.
    Curleytop