Community Message Boards

Thread: eggs for a large group..

eggs for a large group..

I'm planning some meals ahead of time for overnight guests...

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully made eggs "poached" in muffin tins in the oven?

Besides a strata, which I'm not crazy about...any other easy breakfast/egg ideas would be welcomed.

TIA
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I know one of my Donna Hay cookbooks has some 'mini' frittatas that are made in muffin tins. I'll post if you're interested.

YP
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

A friend of mine made these while we were visiting her and they were very yummy. Nicest part is that they're quick 'n easy to do and you can vary as you like... (All comments are hers.)

Sally's Breakfast Thingies
    Set oven to 350º.
    Lightly oil muffin tin.
    Put spinach in bottom (I use frozen crumble kind, but you can thaw a block too)
    Put slice of ham in folded to fit or half a slice. Remember you have to leave room for an egg.
    Crack egg on top. You can poke the yoke or leave whole, depending on how soupy you want it.
    Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
    Sometimes I add a small piece of tomato after the ham. You can come up with your own combos.
    Bake for about 15-20 min. or until the egg has congealed to the consistency you like.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

Thanks...
    YP, which title..I have one of her books...guess with all my cookbooks, I should go through there first, huh

But you guys are never wrong...so if you posted it, it means it's been tested, tried and enjoyed

how about these? they were posted by oskie. you can even make them ahead (see terry's notes).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Egg "Muffins"

Recipe By : posted by oskie
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 tbsp butter
    1/3 c bread crumbs
    8 large eggs
    1 c ricotta cheese
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 c minced scallions
    Black pepper
    2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350. Generously spray bottoms and sides of 8 nonstick muffin cups w/ spray then place about 1 1/2 t. butter into each cup. Place the pnas in the preheating oven for a minute or so to melt the butter, then take them out and divide the breadcrumbs among them.
    2. Combine eggs, ricotta, and salt in a blender and whip until smooth. Stir in the scallions and a generous amount of pepper.
    3. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared cups, filling them right up to the rim. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 min. then reach in and sprinkle each muffin with a little parmesan. Bake for another 10 minutes until the tops are puffy, golden, and just barely firm to the touch.
    4. Remove the pan from the oven and let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 min, during which time they will deflate a little. Run an knife around the edges and lift or invert each muffin on to a cooling rack or plate. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

Source:
    "Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 195 Calories; 15g Fat (68.3% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 219mg Cholesterol; 336mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 Fat.

NOTES : oskie: Omitted the scallions (mom's not a fan and since it was her day, I thought I'd be nice); used flavored breadcrumbs instead of plain - this worked, but I should have cut back on the salt in the eggs, as they tasted overseasoned to me; Mollie suggests adding halved cherry tomatoes, red or green pepper, or bacon when you stir in the scallions, which sounds like a great idea; bring empty pan to oven rack and THEN fill with egg mixture - trying to carry a very full muffin pan to the oven is too difficult to attempt, at least for me during the breakfast hour!
    TerryTx: These were great! I made them yesterday afternoon and reheated this morning in the microwave and we really loved them. I can't even imagine how much better the would have been right out of the oven. I did use the scallions and also added a little Northwood Fire to the egg mixture. You could use any seasonings that you like with scrambled eggs.

I have an egg casserole dish that we have discovered freezes ok once it is baked. It has ham and cheddar cheese in it. Also, I have one that is like a glorified scrambled egg dish with bacon and mushrooms, mushroom soup, etc. Let me know if those interest you-I would be happy to send them on. Another thought-that hashbrown breakfast pizza would be a good idea too. Most of the prep can be done ahead I think. Sue

Originally posted by wallycat
    Thanks...
    YP, which title..I have one of her books...guess with all my cookbooks, I should go through there first, huh
    New Food Fast, page 120.
    Adele

YP, I don't have that one
    If you have time and it's not lengthy, I'd love to see it

slawrence, both of those sound good and even if I don't make them for guests, I'd make them for me

Thank you everyone!!

Those recipes sound like exactly the right thing I need for our weekly brunches (8 to 15 people). I was searching for ideas but these sound perfect for us. Thanks so much, and I'd love those other recipes you wrote about.

Daniele
    newcook

If you really want to do poached eggs, you can poach them ahead of time and keep them in the fridge for a day. Then to warm them up, just put them back in some simmering water for a minute. This also works if you're not making them ahead but want everyone's eggs to be hot at the same time...

-j

Wallycat, I will post those tomorrow. I just put the puppy in her kennel and if I go back down there it will cause a ruckus. Sue

wallycat check out this thread I started a few days ago.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ggs+florentine
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Originally posted by syzygy
    A friend of mine made these while we were visiting her and they were very yummy. Nicest part is that they're quick 'n easy to do and you can vary as you like... (All comments are hers.)

Sally's Breakfast Thingies
    Set oven to 350º.
    Lightly oil muffin tin.
    Put spinach in bottom (I use frozen crumble kind, but you can thaw a block too)
    Put slice of ham in folded to fit or half a slice. Remember you have to leave room for an egg.
    Crack egg on top. You can poke the yoke or leave whole, depending on how soupy you want it.
    Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
    Sometimes I add a small piece of tomato after the ham. You can come up with your own combos.
    Bake for about 15-20 min. or until the egg has congealed to the consistency you like.
    I make something like this, using (cooked)gimme-lean sausage flavor as the bottom layer, also shredded sharp cheddar on top.
    Wallycat, if you make any variation of these they reheat nicely. Just don't overcook when you 1st make them.
    Ellyn

here is a recipe from the may issue of Gourmet. it got great reviews on the Epicurious website.

BAKED EGGS WITH SPINACH

Active time: 25 min Start to finish: 40 min
    1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 1/4 lb spinach (2 bunches), coarse stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    4 large eggs

Special equipment: 4 (8-oz) ramekins
    Accompaniments: bacon and buttered toast

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Cook onion in butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook, covered, stirring 2 or 3 times, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove lid and cook, stirring, until excess liquid is evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Add cream, salt, and pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.

Arrange buttered ramekins in a shallow baking pan and divide spinach among them. Make an indentation in center of each and carefully crack an egg into each indentation. Bake in middle of oven until whites are just set, about 15 minutes.

Serve eggs in ramekins with bacon and toast.

Cooks' note:
    • The eggs in this recipe will not be fully cooked, which may be of concern if salmonella is a problem in your area. As an alternative, use pasteurized eggs (sold in cartons) or bake eggs until yolks are fully set.

Makes 4 servings.

Gourmet
    May 2003

Can the Egg Muffins be eaten out-of-hand, or do you need a plate and fork? The reason I ask is that this sounds like a great on-the-go breakfast for my boys. They both like eggs. They are so NOT morning children and getting them to eat anything at the table before we leave for work/preschool is next to impossible. (I can barely get them out of bed and dressed! Heaven help me when they become teenagers!) Adding to the problem is their dislike of sweet breakfast items. I can get them to eat a Nutrigrain bar occasionally. I usually just make them a peanut butter sandwich, (no jelly) or sometimes cheese on bread.

I had a coupon so I bought some Lean Pockets scrambled egg and ham thingies and they like them. So I think they would enjoy these muffins - better for them too.

Thanks,

Renée
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.

Renee , the Egg Muffins hold together pretty well so I'd think your boys could eat them on the go, They have a moist texture, so just send along a couple of napkins with them and off they go!
    I don't need time. What I need is a deadline.
    -Duke Ellington

Originally posted by wallycat
    YP, I don't have that one
    If you have time and it's not lengthy, I'd love to see it
    Sorry Wallycat, totally forgot about this thread! I will post the recipe tomorrow at the latest as I'm about to head out!

YP
    Adele

Okay, here it is.

Little Frittatas served hot or cold are great to serve at a picnic or portable occasion. A good base mixture is 6 eggs, 1 1/2 cups cream and cracked black pepper. To this, add good things such as crispy bacon, parsley, grated quality cheddar, pesto, roast pumpkim or potato pieces. Pour mixture into deep nonstick muffin tins and bake at 350 for 20-30 mins or until the frittatas are firm.
    Adele