Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about using Fresh Frozen Strawberries

Question Question about using Fresh Frozen Strawberries

A few weeks ago a dear friend brought me two gallons of strawberries that she had picked at a local strawberry farm.

Due to time contraints I was not able to do anything with them immediately. I washed them and dried them on paper towels leaving the stems on. I then froze them in a single layer and the next morning put them in a freezer storage bag. (This was the procedure recommended by the strawberry farm folks.)

Here's my question for you folks. You can use frozen raspberries and blueberries in baked goods by thawing them and then draining before tossing in the batter. Some recipes you can just throw in the frozen berries.

What about my strawberries? Can I thaw them, drain them and then use them in baked goods (muffins, pies etc.)? What about jams?

By the way, I have already used a few for a frozen strawberry margartia! :-) I also know that I can make a smoothie with frozen berries.

Hope ya'll can help me out.

Bonnie

I make a lot of smoothies and for some reason, strawberries seem to make the smoothest, creamiest ones.

I never thaw or drain berries when baking with them, I've never even heard of doing that - I use frozen berries almost exclusively (can never afford the real thing!) in all baked goods, even when they specifically call for fresh and I've never had any problems at all - I always just throw in the berries frozen (or nuked for a little bit if needed.)

I just saw a Good Eats on strawberries and because of their high water content and the way they freeze, Alton Brown did not reccommend using them to bake. Mainly because when you defrost them and drain, they lose a lot of their strawberry flavor and texture. I always use my frozen strawberries for smoothies like Ms. Chevious or for strawberry shortcake or as a sauce to serve over cheesecake. Not sure if I would go with baking (I do use frozen blueberries all the time to bake). Then again, you can always try it and see

But you can thaw them and make jam - I've done it many, many times.

I've used frozen strawberries many times to make strawberry cake and have never had a problem. I use the strawberries frozen, I do not thaw them out before adding them to the batter.
    Dianne

As usual you folks are a wealth of information! No matter what question I have there is always someone on the BB who knows the answer. Isn't it great?

I will look forward to smoothies and margaritas but am GLAD to hear that they can be thawed and used in jams.

Vicanddi, would you be willing to share your strawberry cake recipe???? I'd LOVE to use some berries in that!

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Bonnie

Originally posted by bbenedict
    \Vicanddi, would you be willing to share your strawberry cake recipe???? I'd LOVE to use some berries in that!

Bonnie
    Ditto. I just bought some fresh strawberries I have to do something with.
    Leisa

If you're up for another recipe.....

In a Sept. 1981 issue of Bon Appetit (yes, I meant 1981----I'm that old!), in the section where folks write in and ask them to find their favorite recipes from certain restaurants, someone asked for the Strawberry Bread recipe that they make at a place called "The Livery Stable". I remember it being delicious when I made it, although I haven't made it in years. Now that I reread it, I see that it calls for a lot of oil and 4 eggs (although it IS for two loaves). I bet fat-free buttermilk could be used for part of the oil successfully....and maybe a mixture of eggs and eggwhites? What do you think? Anyway, here it is:

Livery Stable Strawberry Bread (Bon Appetit 9/81)

(Makes 2 9x5" loaves)
    2 c. frozen unsweetened whole strawberries
    sugar
    3 c. plus 2 T. all-purpose flour
    2 c. sugar
    1 T. cinnamon
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1-1/4 cups oil
    4 eggs, beaten
    1-1/4 c. chopped pecans

Place strawberries in medium bowl. Sprinkle lightly with sugar. Let berries stand until thawed, then slice.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9x5" loaf pans. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in large bowl and mix well. Blend oil and eggs into strawberries. Add to flour mixture. Stir in pecans, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened. Divide batter between pans. Bake loaves until tester instered in centers comes out clean, about 45-50 min. Let cool in pans on rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaves out and cool completely.

Here is my recipe for strawberry nut cake. It is NOT a low-cal recipe. It's really yummy, and fairly easy.

BTW, I realized that I do thaw the berries before putting them in the cake. I haven't made this in a while so I forgot. Sorry!

Strawberry Nut Cake

1 bag (16 oz) frozen whole strawberries, thawed and drained
    2 c sugar
    1 1/4 c vegetable oil
    4 eggs
    3 c. flour
    3 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 c chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour bundt pan.

Slightly mash strawberries; set aside. Mix sugar and oil in a large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Stir in strawberries until well mixed. Stir in remaining ingredients except nuts until just moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove to wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar.

I just noticed that knunes recipe and mine are identical, except for the nuts, and mine is made in a bundt pan. Very good, either way!
    Dianne

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! Thanks Knunes and Vincanddi. Can't wait to try them out. They sound like the perfect recipe for my frozen berries!

Bonnie