Community Message Boards

Thread: having a yard sale, how much money to start out with?

Question having a yard sale, how much money to start out with?

having a medium-large sized yard sale...

...how much money should i start out with in my cash drawer?

also what denominations?

$20 in ones and a roll of quarters should do you fine. Keep all your prices divisible by 0.25 for ease.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

really? thats all i need to start with?

i was originally guessing around $150 in cash.

i have a lot of large ticket items- kitchen appliances, huge fine art paintings, luggage, lamps, tables, other furinture, etc.

plus all the smaller stuff too.

it is a multi-family yard sale. i was put in charge of all the moola since i was a bank teller when i was in high school. just want to make sure i have enough. $20 sounds like so little. no?

Ah - you didn't mention that you had large ticket items. Then I'd have a few 20's, 10's and 5's.

We just did a yard sale last weekend with 2 other families. I never broke into my roll of quarters and my friend who is moving and had many pieces of furniture, also had $150 to start with, but she didn't use very much of it. People only needed $5 - $10 in change for the most part.

You are right to be thinking about this, though. Nothing kills a sale quicker than "I don't have change".

Good luck!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I started with $100 in change both for a very large combining two households sale and a smaller one. That was plenty as I quickly accumulated a lot more money as people bought stuff.

just wanted to give an update:

i started with 80 one dollar bills, 2 rolls of quarters & a roll of nickels and that was plenty!

i did have a few people hand over $50 bills for small items, but by then i had a fat cash drawer.

i made a lot of cash & now i can go on my roadtrip! thanks for the help!

Just out of curiousity, how much did you make on your sale? I had one with my mom a while back, and between the 2 of us, we made $500. Not bad, when you're just getting rid of stuff you don't use anymore!

Have fun on your roadtrip!
    Dianne

ours was a one day sale, and unfortunately the morning of the yard sale the city decided to re-pave the main street that goes by our house! so no traffic was going down the street to see our signs! just construction workers!

i was really bummed out at first, but we did okay despite that. we made almost $500. and it was a beautiful day to sit outside.

there were a few rude/strange people that showed up... but most of the folks were very nice (just a few people were awful).

we are going to have another one in a few weeks at my mom's house because i am certain we can sell a lot more. also we plan on putting in a newspaper ad this time to make people more aware since we are not allowed to post yard sale signs anywhere other than our own yard or a private residence that allows us to. failure to do so results in a $200 fine!!!

Wow, glad we don't have that rule out here about the signs. We put up signs all over the place (also made sure we took them down!) and I think that is why we had such a good turn out.

You did great for your first sale, good luck on the next one! The newspaper ad will surely help with your turn out as there are a lot of people devoted to yard sale shopping on the weekends. (Me, I like to sleep in! )
    Dianne