Community Message Boards

Thread: How to roast red peppers

Question How to roast red peppers

Could someone enlighten me on the best way to roast red peppers in the oven and how to easily remove their skins? Thanks.

It's actually very easy and the peppers (I think) taste so much better!

Cut the peppers in half and clean out the seeds and innards. Place them on a baking sheet skin side up. Place the sheet in a 450-500 degree oven set on broil. The skin will start to blacken and soften in 7-10 minutes. Once the skins are brownish-black, remove from the oven and immediately place the peppers in a large ziploc bag. Close and let sit for 20 minutes or so (or until the peppers have time to cool and "sweat"). Once they have cooled you will be able to peel the skins right off. What you will have left is a moist, wonderfully cooked pepper. Yummy!

I do this at least once a week and leave the peppers in a tupperware in the fridge. Great for sandwiches!

Luika,

Cut them in half and remove the seeds. Then put them skin sides up on a broiler pan. You might need to flatten them some. Turn on the broiler and let them cook until the skins are black (they will blister). Then put them in a zip top bag for 15 minutes. The skins should just peel right off.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I do these the same way HOWEVER even with an exhaust fan on full blast, they set off the smoke alarm. I need to disconnect mine beforehand. You can also do these outside on the grill with skin sides down. I do this in summer cause it's easier than screwing with the smoke alarm. they are very good and easy if it weren't for the smoke.

I'm actually going to admit to something that very likely makes me a roasted red pepper heretic.

I've always hated removing the skin after roasting -- and I also hesitate EVER removing vegetable skin, due to the nutrients lost from the flesh just below the skin. So...

I roast mine in the oven - just until lightly browned (that's generally at about 450F for about 15-20 minutes; I don't use the broiler). They're generally SOFT and sweet and delicious. The longer baking time carmelizes a great deal of the sugar in the flesh and makes the peppers simply divine.

When they're done baking, I just use them "as is" (skin intact). If any small parts of the skin happen to have burned, I cut them off. But generally I don't have much trouble.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I do something similar to what Leigh and Luiza do, except I line the baking sheet with aluminum foil. When I take the peppers out of the oven, I make a little packet out of the foil, folding it up and over to enclose the peppers and their steam. This way I don't get pepper juice burned/broiled onto the baking sheet, and I don't have to spray with cooking spray which also seems to bake on.

Luika,
    The other day I had my very first experience with roasting red peppers, and they turned out fabulous! Everyone has already filled you in on the basic technique (remove seeds/membranes, flatten, broil, and let steam in plastic bag)...it really is very easy and delicious (much better than the jarred peppers). Enjoy!
    Amy

They are easy to do with just about any method. Including assigning DH= to do it over an open campfire on a hotdog fork! But when I'm at home and I am the one doing it I simply turn on one of my gas burners and sit the pepper on the grate above it. Turning it occasionally. I've only ever had 1 pepper split and make a mess.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Thank you to EVERYONE!

I have a recipe which calls for jarred roasted red peppers. I couldn't find them in the store so purchased fresh peppers instead. I'll be roasting them this afternoon! It's always amazing all the little tidbits of information (and different techniques) everyone uses in cooking.

Now that I have this know-how, I'll save some money (and get increased flavor) by not purchasing the jarred variety!

THANKS AGAIN!

FYI: The same method is used for any kind of peppers, green, yellow, red, purple and of course Anaheim Chilis. I always use roasted Anaheims in tacos and burritos! I usually put my hot roasted peppers in a brown paper bag to cool!
    Curleytop

I flatten them and broil until blackened in the toaster oven. I don't uusually like to put hot food in plastic bags and brown paper bags (old fashioned method) are scarce so I put them to cool in a mixing bowl with a dish on top to cover. When cooled they peel easily and the taste is far superior to the jarred variety.
    Lee