Community Message Boards

Thread: chocolate cake and lactose intolerant?

Question chocolate cake and lactose intolerant?

One of the lawyers is leaving here and everyone wanted to get a cake...but I was thinking about making a dessert so there is no question he can have it. Is it possible to make a kick @ss chocolate concoction when he's lactose intolerant?

J
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Well, could you sub lactose free milk for regular milk? Maybe even use soy milk.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

so basically any recipe would work with those subs? Is dark chocolate not a problem compared to milk chocolate?

J
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

My lil site:

Ok, so I'm not thinking well this afternoon. I completely forgot to consider the ingredients in the chocolate.

I do think milk chocolate would be a problem. What about something using cocoa powder? Does that have milk? I don't know about dark chocolate either.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I thought I had a recipe that used cocoa powder so it would eliminate that whole issue...but dark would be better.
    How many does it need to serve?
    I'm thinking individual molten cakes

I have successfully subbed the unsweetened soymilk in almost every recipe without ever having a problem.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I'm not sure how many people it's going to be and I'm almost positive they will be splashing out for a fancy schmancy cake. However, I'm thinking about something that he's going to actually be able to enjoy The chocolate is because I know he digs chocolate but I'm willing to take other suggestions! My only warning is that I'm a little decorating impaired so please nothing that requires super piping or decoration. All I care about is taste!

I'll have to pour through some recipes

My lil site:

My boss is lactose intolerant and she CAN have dark chocolate. I don't there is any milk proteins in the dark. I just gave her 2 recipes I found in the Fresno Bee yesterday. Lemme search the site to see if they put them on the web.

Found it!!!

Chocolate Non Dairy Cake

3 cups flour
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    6 heaping tablespoons cocoa
    2/3 cup canola oil
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    2 cups water
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk dry ingredients together. Mix liquid ingredients together.
    Combine the two mixtures. Pour into a 9-by-13-inch pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

-- Submitted by Cathy Furrer, Fresno

OR

3 cups cake flour
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    1 1/4 cups water
    1/2 cup shortening
    3 tablespoon water, 3 tablespoons canola oil, 2 teaspoons baking powder, mixed together right before adding to other ingredients
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (more?)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease and flour two round cake pans. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Using an electric mixer, beat until well mixed, approximately 4 minutes. Pour batter into cake pans.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to wire racks. Frost when completely cooled.

-- Submitted by Mari Barrett, Fresno

Hope these might work!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

This chocolate cake is really good, and only uses cocoa powder. It's very rich and chocolate-y, though!

Kari

Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

2 cups white sugar
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa Powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 cup boiling water

1/2 cup butter
    2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa Powder
    3 cups confectioners' sugar
    1/3 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
    1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting.

4. To make "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting: Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.

5. One Pan Cake: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350 F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

6. Three Layer Cake: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350 F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

7. Bundt Cake: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350 F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost

8. Cupcakes: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350 F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

I went to Baker's Chocolate and checked out a few recipes...

here's one:

BAKER'S ONE BOWL Chocolate Cake
    Prep Time: 20 min
    Total Time: 55 min
    Serves: 16

Ingredients
    6 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
    3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine (I think even oil will work here)
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    2 tsp. vanilla
    2-1/2 cups flour, divided
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1-1/2 cups water

Preparation
    MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in large microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.

ADD sugar; mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating with electric mixer on low speed after each addition until well blended. Add vanilla; mix well. Add 1/2 cup of the flour, baking soda and salt; mix until well blended. Add remaining 2 cups flour alternately with water, beating until well blended after each addition. Pour evenly into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.

BAKE at 350F for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks. Frost as desired.

Variation: Prepare batter as directed; pour into greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350F for 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan. Frost as desired.

People with lactose intolerance can usually consume up to an entire cup of milk with no problems! Milk protein has nothing to do with it. The amount of milk in a cake or even in milk chocolate does not contribute to lactose intolerance. Only in true milk allergies (which is very rare in adults) does one need to eliminate all traces of dairy.

Originally posted by AD
    People with lactose intolerance can usually consume up to an entire cup of milk with no problems! Milk protein has nothing to do with it. The amount of milk in a cake or even in milk chocolate does not contribute to lactose intolerance. Only in true milk allergies (which is very rare in adults) does one need to eliminate all traces of dairy.
    I believe some people are more sensitive (intolerant) than others and though SOME people can include up to a glass of milk/daily without too much gas or pain, others can not.
    You are correct that it is the lactose in milk that causes the problem unless there is a true allergy..then the caesin (protein) is usually the culprit.

SOME dark chocolate is milk-free, but not all. Your best bet is to find one that's classed as "vegan." Even if it says it's processed in a facility that also makes milk chocolate, unless he's got a milk protein allergy he should be fine.

Any of the non-dairy milks (soy, almond, whatever) will work just dandy in an ordinary recipe, as will margarine instead of butter (again, you're safer with a vegan variety if you want to be careful... a lot of regular margarines have dairy-derived ingredients added. No problem, really. Just take your favourite chocolate cake recipe and make a few subs.

It's when you want to bake without eggs that things start getting dancy!

If I have more than a small cup of milk a day, I get some pretty nasty results. On the other hand, I usuallyd on't have problems with chocolate unless I'm consuming the stuff straight up, and in disgustingly large quantities. If you're concerned about the lactose intolerance, I'd go ahead and sub lactose-free milk for any place that calls for milk. In frostings, you may want to taste-test, since I find the lactose-free milk to be sweeter than regular milk. (I'm assuming it has something to do with the milk sugars ... not sure.)

You'll probably want to steer clear of cheesecakes, though.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Here's a totally vegan recipe from The Angelica Home Kitchen - a wonderful book and an unbelievably delicious cake! The recipe seems somewhat unorthodox, but the result is very dense and rich. Yum!

Chocolate Layer Cake with Chocolate Frosting
    Serves 12

For the batter:
    2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    2 cups unbleached white flour
    1 Tbs plus 1 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 cup cocoa powder
    2 tsp cinammon
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 cup olive oil
    3 cups maple syrup
    2 tsp apple cider vinegar
    4 tsp vanilla extract
    2 cups water

For the frosting:
    6 Tbs agar flakes
    1 1/2 cup water
    3/4 cup cocoa powder
    2 1/4 cups maple syrup
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    4 1/2 Tbs arrowroot
    6 Tbs plain soy milk

To prepare the cake:
    Preheat the oven to 350F.
    Lightly oil and flour 2 9-inch springform pans.
    Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl.
    In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup, vinegar, vanilla, and water until emulsified.
    Using a wooden spoon, stir the wet and dry ingredients together; do not overmix.
    Divide the batter equally between the two cake pans and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
    Do not open the oven door for the first 30 minutes or the cake could collapse.
    Cool for 30 minutes before frosting.

To prepare the frosting:
    Place the agar flakes and 1 1/2 cups of water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer and occasionally stir for 5 minutes or until the agar is dissolved.
    Whisk in the cocoa powder, maple syrup, sea salt, and vanilla extract.
    In a small mixing bowl, dissolve the arrowroot in the soy milk.
    Add this mixture to the agar mixture, raise the heat to medium, and simmer for 1 mintue.
    Pour the frosting into an ovenproof glass pie plate and refrigerate until it becomes firm, approximately 20 minutes.
    Cut the frosting into squares and puree in a food processor until creamy.

To finish the cake:
    Remove each of the layers from the springform pans. Spread frosting on top of one layer, then place second layer on top. Frost the top and sides.

Enjoy!
    Gaja