Community Message Boards

Thread: How to get oil out of clothes?

Question How to get oil out of clothes?

I didn't have my apron on and spilled olive oil down the front of my shirt. I washed the shirt, but now there's an oily/greasy spot on the front that looks like a permanent wet spot. Is there any way to get this out? It's cotton, if that makes a difference.

Did the shirt go through the dryer? If so, I don't know if you can save it.

If not, try soaking it in dishwashing detergent that takes out grease. Or you could try rubbing a bar of ivory right on that spot and soaking it in warm water. I've had good luck with either of those methods.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

My mother always used LESTOIL on oil stains...

But this also works -- Place heavy stains face down on clean paper towels. Apply dry cleaning fluid (like GOOF OFF) to the back of stain. Replace towels frequently. (Carefully read and follow instructions on the product package.) Let air dry; rinse. Launder in hottest water safe for the fabric.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

There's a product we recently got at Home Depot that gets grease out of literally everything. It's designed for people who work on cars or in a shop, but might also work on cooking oil. It's called Goop and comes in a big white tube. I use it to get bike grease off my legs or shorts.

Try the dishwashing liquid. DH got oil/ grease on his clothes earlier this year and it worked great. I just really rubbed it in before washing.

I swear by Goof Off, followed by an overnight soaking in OxyClean, then laundering in hot water with Tide with Bleach. It's amazing how much stuff that combination can get out.

The Queen of Clean recommends:

Combine 1 tablespoon glycerin, 1 tablespoon liquid dishwashing soap, 8 tablespoons of water. Work the solution into grease adn oil stains. Let sit a few minutes, flush with water and laudner as usual.

She also recommends using Spot Shot Instant Carpet Stain Remover to remove greasy spots on clothes, then launder in the hottest water for fabric type, using a long wash cycle adn adding 1/4 cup of washing soda along with your detergent.

Another of her ideas is to spray with WD-40 lubricant and wait 10 minutes. Work in undiluted dishwashing liquid and launder as usual.

One more: Go-Jo Waterless Hand Cleaner can be worked into the spot, then launder as usual.

Hope you get the stain out!
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

I need to remember these remedies. DH or myself are always getting grease or oil on our shirts while eating or cooking.
    Leisa

Thanks, guys! I will try a couple of these this weekend. If it doesn't work, it's no big loss. It's a top my mom gave me the last time I went to visit, but I've only worn it a couple of times and would like to save it if I can.

I agree with the diswashing liquid. I used Dawn and squirt it full strength on the clothing. I find it works better than anything else. Believe me, I've had my fair share of oil/dressing stains on my clothes.

Ditto on the Dawn -- I keep a bottle next to the washer for all my kids clothes. It will work even if the garment has been in the dryer!

I would start with Dawn since it will be kindest to the fabric, but I have used some of the other suggestions here too. Dawn works pretty well at breaking up oil and grease and doesn't have some of the stornger solvents that could effect the dye in some fabrics, so I always start there before moving up the chain. Hope that helps.