Community Message Boards

Thread: Pie from Frozen Berries?

Question Pie from Frozen Berries?

I'm baking berry pie today for DH's bday, and am using frozen berries. For some reason I am drawing a blank - do I have to thaw the berries or can I just dump them in the crust frozen and put the sugar over them?

I think you will be just fine leaving the berries frozen. A lot of times when I make berry pies, I actually freeze the filling before baking. This gives the crust a chance to cook a bit before the thaws and leaks into it.
    http://www.pjrc.com

No matter how big or soft your bed is, you still have to get out of it.
    -Grace Slick, raucous rock diva

Thanks RobinC - that's what I thought (and hoped!) but figured it best to check first. Anyone else who has had problems using frozen, lemme know!

I've used frozen (un-thawed) berries to make a cobbler and it turned out great. I don't have much experience with pies, but I'm sure the frozen berries would be fine.

I have used frozen (unthawed) berries for pie since forever and they are always great. I make blueberry pie and peach pie frequently, and honestly, I am not sure there is any detectable difference between fresh and frozen. There is something wonderful about using fresh that I think is mainly psychological!

I never thaw
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'