Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom Teeth & Sedation

Wisdom Teeth & Sedation

I was at the dentist this past week, and he told me I would need all of my wisdom teeth removed. He was surprised that they had not caused any pain, discomfort or other problems yet. I'm only 21, so they have not grown in yet, although one is just beginning to come through, and the others are close. He told me they use IV sedation and pain medications for afterward, which I hear are extremely helpful.

I will be having it done on Aug. 11, and I am worried mostly about the pain. Has anyone here had anything similar? Is there anything that could be compared to the type of pain?

I did have to have an impacted tooth removed once, but they just numbed my mouth. I didn't have much pain; my lips and mouth were feeling numb with a little discomfort. However, this sounds a lot worse, 4 teeth requiring IV sedation. There was something mentioned about the IV sedation taking or lasting 15 minutes. The dentist told me that the surgery is about an hour and a half. I hope I'll be out for more than 15 minutes!

Also, I'll be starting the fall semester in college on Aug. 25. I'm wondering if two weeks will be enough time to recover.

I would appreciate any feedback or experience. It's really helped to hear the experiences of others so far, and I just need some extra reassurance, as it seems like a rather major experience for me.

I had all 4 removed (they never came through) when I was 17.
    It was done as general surgery. Except for having a swollen face, nothing hurt.

DH just had a wisdom tooth pulled a few months ago and he said it didn't hurt. He did develop a dry socket which he said was uncomfortable but not horribly painful.

Good luck!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

All of my wisdom teeth were impacted, and quite frankly it did hurt quite a bit, at least for a few days. I assure you I was asleep for the whole thing, though!

I highly recommend bags of frozen peas for your recovery. Unlike ice packs, they're very lightweight, and since the peas are like little ball bearings they conform easily to your jaw. Get two bags and keep one in the freezer while the other is on your jaw, then rotate them out.

I only had two wisdom teeth, the other two never formed (guess I'm not as smart as I'm supposed to be ). I had the IV sedation, was out for the ENTIRE thing including the move to the recovery area of the oral surgeon's office. The other thing he gave me was long acting novicane. That way I was able to get the pain medication filled, taken and working before it wore off. I seem to remember having the teeth pulled on a Thursday or Friday and I went to a wedding on Saturday or Sunday (it was about 16 years ago). I bought gel-type ice packs. They also formed well around my face.

Good luck (its not as bad as you are fearing)....

Tyra
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Hi, I'm new. My husband had all 4 of his out at his dentist office without sedation. It was not pleasant. Mine were impacted, so I went to an oral surgeon. The sedation was fast and gentle. I didn't remember a thing. I was sore for a few days, but it wasn't that bad. You might want to stock up on some pudding for a while--my mom would thin it down. My surgeon hit the roof of my mouth and made a sore spot. That gave me more trouble than the teeth.

I wish you well. I'm glad you're getting this done before you get the headaches.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

AD, speaking as the world's BIGGEST scaredy cat, I had all my wisdom teeth removed at once, and while I won't say it was fun, it was definitely NOT horrible, and the recovery, while uncomfortable, was not really painful either. Just soreness. They have great pain meds now for that kind of pain.

The IV isn't bad (needles used to be my biggest fear!), and I guarantee you you will be out for the whole thing. Please don't worry. You'll be just fine. I've found that the fear and worry is far worse than the actual procedure. Good luck and let us know how you're feeling.

I had mine out when I was 17. All I remember about it now is that getting the gas was the BEST of experience of my entire life. I swear, I would do that part again in a heartbeat. I don't remember being in too much pain...what I do remember is that I had this dull throbbing pain that lasted for three weeks. Nothing bad, but it made it hard to want to chew. The first few days I lived on ONE package of ramen noodles.

I agree totally with what Grace said. She is a wise woman. Listen to her!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I've gone all the routes for dental surgeries and the IV sedation is a modern miracle! It always used to be a thing to be dreaded years ago, but now procedures are easier.

DS2 just had oral surgery for removal of a tooth and jaw bone work and other than being a bit groggy afterwards and using bags of frozen peas for ice packs was fine. He was eating applesauce and spagettios, a hang over from college days. DD had surgery and she would panic at the dentist office. With the sedation she was absolutely fine. Your mouth doesn't ache quite as much since you are not tensing up during procedures which eases the afterpain a lot. I had all my wisdom teeth out when I was in college and it was a miserable experience...but that was ahem....years ago.

This is now an experience that puts fear to rest. Hope all works out for you.
    Joan

I had one wisdom tooth pulled a few weeks ago. Like you, I worried about recovery and planned on eating soft foods for a week. The reality was, it was not big deal. In fact, I stopped bleeding after an hour and felt absolutely no pain, just a mild soreness that was remedied with a steady stream of Advil. I was fine by the next day.

Your case sounds a little more severe. My guess is that you will have to take a lot of ibuprofein afterwards and eat soft foods for a week. Rather than being in pain, you will probably find it more of a nuisance.

The good thing is, the procedure itself isn't that bad. Once you're all numbed up you won't feel anything. The worst part is getting the numbing shots, but you don't want them to skimp on THAT.

Thank you SO much for your replies. It really is helpful to hear all of your experiences! I guess everyone is different as far as pain sensitivity, reaction to drugs, and recovery time. I know I'll be on a liquid diet for a little while, but it's too far away to worry about that.

Thanks again for the replies!

I know i'm a little late in replying but i wanted to throw something else in. I had surgery to remove all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth. I don't remember feeling any pain at all until the next day because I was so out of it the day of the surgery.....I just slept all day which was a nice break from my normal busy day! Anyhow, my doctor recommended something for me which really helped, I think. He told me (this will probably sound silly) to eat a lot of ice cream for the next several days. not only is it soft and easy to eat (and tastes darn good!) but it really helps with the swelling because you'll have something cold directly on the incision site. So live it up and enjoy your ice cream!

I had all 4 of mine taken out by an oral surgeon about 5 years ago. I did not want to be put out so I was awake for the entire thing. They numbed me up really well (I think those shots were the worst part!) and all I felt was a some pressure while they were removing them. My lower two wisdom teeth were impacted and those were more sore then the top ones. I think it took all of 45 minutes for the procedure from start to finish. Eat soft foods afterwards. I did for at least a week. And don't drink from a straw. I didn't have any bruising and I wasn't very swollen, but I was sore for a few days. But the pain meds they gave me took care of that. It's really not that bad of a procedure!
    "What I do today is important because I am paying a day of my life for it." ~unknown

I will vie with Grace for the title of world's biggest scaredy cat. I had 4 impacted teeth removed while under IV sedation. Rather than pulling them out in one piece, the surgeon drilled them into small pieces then removed those, to avoid having to leave big empty sockets in my mouth (by removing small pieces he only had to cut a small slit in the gum). I don't know if that is standard procedure for impacted teeth, but it seems to have worked well in my case.

I did have pain and soreness for the first day or so, but one dose of Vicodin convinced me it was Tylenol-level pain, not prescription painkillers. The Vicodin made me throw up and it was unbearable- especially during those first few hours when my mouth and jaw were too numb/sore to open much. I only took one dose then switched to regular Tylenol for a few days. Then it was fine. So do think about your choice of post-op painkillers.

Given that I'm a chicken, I will say that it was not nearly so bad as I thought it would be.

As I type this, I'm remembering another thread on this in the past- if you try searching for "wisdom teeth" you might find some additional thoughts.

When I was 20 I had five (yep, you read that right, five) (if you think that's freaky, keep reading) wisdom teeth removed. They were getting infected and all, so it was an urgent deal, done through an oral surgeon under full anaesthetic. I was fairly groggy for a couple of days, and slurped a lot of soup and ice cream, but didn't have any "pain", just a little discomfort.

I also used lots of arnica drops before and after the surgery, which I give credit to helping keep the bruising to the absolute minimum - I tend to bruise really easily, but all I got was a small yellow bruise on my right jaw a week later.

In a month I'm having my sixth wisdom tooth removed. Yes indeed folks, it seems my special talent in life is growing wisdom teeth. Shame there isn't much of a market for them. Since there's only one this time, I'm going to a dentist rather than an oral surgeon(but having lots of lovely sedative tablets beforehand).

I've advise having someone around you for the first day at least, if you can, because you don't feel like doing much, and you drool a lot - it's nice to have someone wipe your face when you can't feel it.

Gee, I must be the only one - to have had them pulled (four impacted) without aid of general anesthesia (sp). I had them done at age 18 at an oral surgeon with novocain. I had been put out previously for other surgery and remember that I had been violently ill (vomiting) when I came to. I decided I didn't want to be vomiting with stitches in my mouth.

I didn't think it was that bad. Also, I don't recall if anyone mentioned this, but don't suck hard on anything (like a straw), you will or can develop "dry sockets".

The hardest thing was after eating soft foods and not chewing for five or so days, when I got my stitches out and could eat food again, I could barely open my mouth to get anything substantial in LOL!
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

My experience is a little old--30 years ago--but is very similar to 19-year-old DD's which was just last Tuesday. She had all four extracted by an oral surgeon. She chose not to have general anesthesia because 3 years ago, when she had her tonsils removed, she had a droopy eyelid for six months after the surgery--supposedly an after-effect from the anesthesia.

She took one prescribed Valium an hour before her appointment on Tuesday. She was quite relaxed. They administered nitrous oxide and novacaine in the office. The surgery took 45 minutes. Narcotics and ibuprofen were prescribed tor pain. She has not taked the narcotic since Wed. a.m. but says that they are still sore. The swelling has gone down--is supposedly worse at 72 hours after surgery--and she is eating almost anything.

My understanding is that it will go smoothly unless an infection develops from "dry sockets". Advice to DD was eat only cold or room-temperature foods the first day and do not smoke for 5-7 days.

Good luck!!!!
    Michele

Garnett had long known. . . that God's world and the better part of daily life were full of mysteries known only to women.
    --from "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver

Originally posted by gertdog
    I did have pain and soreness for the first day or so, but one dose of Vicodin convinced me it was Tylenol-level pain, not prescription painkillers. The Vicodin made me throw up and it was unbearable- especially during those first few hours when my mouth and jaw were too numb/sore to open much. I only took one dose then switched to regular Tylenol for a few days. Then it was fine. So do think about your choice of post-op painkillers.
    This was similar to my experience. I too am a chicken. The I.V. wasn't bad. I remember nothing about the actual procedure and didn't have terrible pain or swelling. They gave me Darvocet and, I have to say, that was definately the worst part of the experience. I didn't actually throw up but experienced a lot of dizziness and "room-spinning". The doctor just put me on an Advil/Tylonol combo (OTC) which worked out fine.
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

Originally posted by gertdog
    The Vicodin made me throw up and it was unbearable- especially during those first few hours when my mouth and jaw were too numb/sore to open much.
    I had a similar experience...I got all four of my impacted teeth out when I was 17, and they gave me Tylenol with codeine for the pain. I had already popped about three when I started reacting...and let me tell you, the pain of the procedure was NOTHING compared to the awfulness of trying to throw up when my mouth was swollen shut...I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say, if it can't come out of your mouth, it will find another way out... my point is, make absolutely sure you aren't sensitive to any drugs they give you, including the anaesthesia and post-op meds.

Otherwise, my procedure was not a big deal. I had a Valium IV, which made me sort of "other-worldly" but not unconscious. I just didn't really care about what was happening. My teeth also came out in little bits. And my face was really swollen for a few days, but the pain was only really bad the first night.

So, my tips for a smooth procedure:
    1)see above warning about the drugs
    2)get ALL FOUR (or however many you have)taken out at once! You're not going to want to return a 2nd time if you only have 2 done!
    3)get someone to drive you home and hang out with you for the first day. You probably won't really feel like doing much.
    4)don't worry. Horror stories are exaggerated usually, and most people have no problems.

Oh, and don't wear anything nice...you'll be drooling uncontrollably.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

Thanks for all of your responses. It has been very helpful, and I'm a lot less nervous now that I know what to expect. My mother will be with me, and I live about 5 minutes from the dentist office, so that part should be okay.

Bosunswife, you mentioned not being able to open your mouth much after you had stitches taken out. I don't recall reading or hearing anything about stitches? Does that mean I'll have to have a second procedure done to remove stitches? The idea of not being able to eat solid food until stitches are removed, and then having trouble opening my mouth really scares me!

I found the other thread, and it was extremely helpful (especially a tip about using clove oil, in case I get one of those dry sockets). I am hoping I will not need any narcotic pain-relievers as I cannot handle the side effects. I can endure almost any pain if I do not have to deal with any abdominal bloating, trapped gas or constipation!

Thanks again!

Originally posted by AD
    Bosunswife, you mentioned not being able to open your mouth much after you had stitches taken out. I don't recall reading or hearing anything about stitches? Does that mean I'll have to have a second procedure done to remove stitches? The idea of not being able to eat solid food until stitches are removed, and then having trouble opening my mouth really scares me!
    I'm not Bosunswife, but I can give you an answer to your question...when I got mine done, I had non-absorbable stitches that had to be removed about a week later. The stitches themselves didn't interfere with eating, but I did have trouble opening my mouth wide for a couple of weeks. I think it was because my mouth was held open for the long procedure, and the muscles just get stiff. It wasn't painful and din't keep me from eating solid food. I just had to eat very little bites!

Your dentist or oral surgeon will be able to give you more concrete answers to your questions about the actual procedure and what kind of sutures they'll use.

You'll be fine! Let us know how it goes...
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

hi there!

dont think of getting your wisdom teeth removed as a MAJOR life experience... it will be allright.

i am 24 and getting all 4 of mine removed in exactly 2 weeks! they are not impacted, and never really cause me any major pain, but a few of them have cavities since they are so hard to clean back there. it was either get fillings, or get them removed. i opted for the removal because i do not want to have problems later on in life since i hear all these horror stories of wisdom teeth extraction later on in life.

my oral surgeon gave me a choice- either do the IV sedation (general anaesthesia) or to be awake with just some numbing around the teeth(local or regional anaesthesia). i opted to be awake! i do not want to be put out and hooked up on an IV just to get my teeth pulled. he also suggested that it would be better to be awake. he said the only time he really likes to use the general is when someone is freaking out too much to have it done, or if there are complications (impactations or roots wrapping around the jaw bone). i just do not like the idea of being "put out" even if it is safe. especially in a dentist's office.

my oral surgeon also told me that if i have the local anaesthesia, then the procedure will only take about 20 minutes- 5 minutes a tooth. but if i got the general anaesthesia, then it would take 1 hour 20 minutes because there is a lot of prep work getting me ready to be put out, and then the time period of me "coming to" and being ready to leave.

since i am getting this done before you, i will report back on how it went! i am okay with it. i think a lot of it is mental, just thinking about teeth being removed from your mouth. but i plan on going to my happy place in my head and letting mind take over matter. oh yea, i am bringing headphones so i can blast music and not hear that awful grinding and cracking that will be going on.

Re: Wisdom Teeth & Sedation

Originally posted by AD
    There was something mentioned about the IV sedation taking or lasting 15 minutes. The dentist told me that the surgery is about an hour and a half. I hope I'll be out for more than 15 minutes!
    yes, the whole surgery will only be about 15 minutes. it does not take long for them to do it. since you are getting put out, there is a lot of prep work involved with getting you ready, thus the hour and a half time frame. but the actual surgery should not be long at all. you should double check with your surgeon to make sure. i know my surgeon went over all this stuff with me about 2 months ago when i made the appt. i had to sign all kinds of forms verifying that he went over this material with me.

just wanted to add, you will be fine to go back to school 2 weeks afterward! most recovery times are 24-48 hours.

in fact, my old boss got his pulled ON HIS LUNCH BREAK, and went back to work immediately after. he was out of the office for maybe 1 hour getting it all done. he was very swollen and a little groggy, but he worked the rest of the day no problem!

the only thing to really be concerned about is dry socket... no sucking of any sort! do not drink milkshakes with straws!

AD, I had my wisdom teeth out when I was your age, and just this year had a molar pulled. I just had injections around the teeth to numb me up. It has only taken a few minutes to get the tooth out, in my experience, and being numb, all I felt was pressure--no pain. After the anaesthetic wore off I had a little swelling and tenderness, but not pain. I didn't need to take any of the pain medication I took home with me. My problem has been that the bleeding doesn't stop--extraction in the morning, still bleeding at ten o'clock at night--but I discovered this last time that putting a tea bag over the socket really did work to stop the bleeding.

I think all of us have a fear of dental work, but the anxiety and dread we have while waiting for the appointment are much worse than the actual procedure.

Just thought I should mention - the reason I had general anaesthesia is that locals tend not to work very well on me, and both the oral surgeon and myself felt under these circumstances it would be best for me to be completely knocked out for five teeth being removed. I didn't have any painkillers afterwards.

Over the course of doing some crown work, my dentist has since found the "right" balance (well, I hope it'll work just as well for an extraction!) of sedative dosage to allow the local to work reasonably well.

Don't fret about the stitches - they're removed during a routine follow-up, and it doesn't hurt to have them removed at all. It just kind of tickles.

Thanks again for all the responses and support! I feel a lot better! My appointment is not until August 11 at 10:00 AM, but I'll let you know after the procedure when I am alert. Again, I appreciate all of your comments!

Smile i'm back!

hey AD!

i just got back from the dentist's office 5 minutes ago- all 4 wisdom teeth are gone!

it was very quick, and totally painless. i felt slight pressure, but even with that it was not as extreme pressure as i anticipated.

one tooth didnt come out all the way, part of the root & root tip was still there so he had to dig a little bit to get it out.

the whole thing took about 25 minutes- 10 minutes of prep work (going over the procedure again, giving me shots of novicane & waiting for it to kick in) and about 15 minutes of actual teeth pulling.

i paid my co-pay, went to the drugstore & picked up motrin. i am suppose to take 400mg of it.

i did not have any stitches. he says you only need those if there is a large flap of gum that needs to be sewed (usually with extensive digging with impacted teeth and such). with me the gum flaps were small so he left them alone.

he also did not prescribe an antibiotic. i am allergic to a lot of them, and he doesnt feel i need it.

just had a huge vanilla shake from mcdonald's (no straw- spoon) and dripped all over myself.

but other than that i am okay- SO FAR. he said as long as i take the motrin NOW before any pain kicks in, it should be a pretty good recovery. i was actually humming during the surgery and making jokes with the surgeon. he is a humorous guy himself, so he appreciated my good spirit about it all.

a lady got hers removed before me, and she was put out and she was coming to while i was getting ready for mine. she said she felt like she was going to throw up (i heard this is common with general a.) and wanted to go home and sleep because she didnt feel good.

i understand that everyone is different, and your experience may not be the same as mine, but i just wanted to let you know that it is not as bad as it seems. you should be fine my dear.

Hey AD, I just had mine out last year and they were impacted. I had IV sedation and I would recommend it. Pulling out impacted teeth makes a lot of unpleasant noise. I didn't want to hear them yanking and breaking them out. The only bad thing was that they use these rubber stopper things to keep your mouth open. Most of the soreness I felt was from them jacking my jaw open. I did experience some bruising and swelling, but I was fine in 4 days. I had it done on a Monday and felt alright by Monday morning.

One thing no one else has mentioned was the smell of the healing gum sockets. It's the most disgusting smell/taste in the world. You will have some NASTY dragon's breath while those holes heal over. It just comes with the procedure. After a week or so they will give you this water pick to squirt out any food that gets caught in there, so that helps the smell. But the taste/smell of the blood, clot, healing, etc... is soooooo gross at first.
    The way to become boring is to say everything.
    -- Voltaire

AD,

You are going to be fine. I was and I am the biggest ween1e. About 7 years ago, I had braces and an impacted eye tooth. Once there was room for the tooth to be brought down, I was referred to an oral surgeon. While I was there, he asked if I wanted my 1 and only wisdom tooth removed at the same time to avoid any problems in the future and I decided what the hey since I was going to be there anyway. He even cracked a little joke about my either being highly evolved or short on wisdom as we are evolving our way away from wisdom teeth.

I don't remember which type of sedation I had but he and his staff did a great job and I had vicadin (sp?)

Good luck!
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out at one time and they used IV sedation on me. I wouldn't have had it done any other way, since I'm a bit squeemish when it comes to these things. I wasn't out very long and I think the 15 minutes thing is that they give you enough drugs to put you out for a majority of the time and then they start to give you the drugs to help wake you up, but you won't fully wake up until the doctor is completely done. Also, in my experience, I woke up crying. Don't worry if you do, it is an uncontrollable response to the sedation drugs. I don't know if that happens with everyone, but it can happen. I remember that I just couldn't stop and I couldn't understand why I was crying - I wasn't sad, in pain or anything.

I had a headache for a week straight after the surgery, but again, that is just my experience. I was also given a prescription for a pain pill, but I only took it for the first day or two, as they really made me feel much worse than the headaches I got.

I would recommend that, if the doctor doesn't give you a syringe to clean out the holes left from the surgery (you will have stitches for about a week, though), buy a syringe at the store (the kind used to give medication to a baby - got mine in the baby section of the grocery store). Make a solution of salt and warm water and use that with the syringe to clean out the holes after you eat. You could use plain water, too. The holes will remain for a good several months, so you'll want to keep them clean. My doctor didn't give me the syringe, so I got one myself. It really helped and made my headaches go away (again, that is just my experience and doesn't mean that you will also get headaches). Most people I know who had this procedure done were given the syringe, so you might want to ask for one before your surgery - you probably won't even think about it afterwards.

Originally posted by m4star
    Pulling out impacted teeth makes a lot of unpleasant noise. I didn't want to hear them yanking and breaking them out. The only bad thing was that they use these rubber stopper things to keep your mouth open
    do what i did- wear headphones & jam to your favorite tunes! i had morcheeba in my portable cd player, so i didnt have to hear the awful noises. at one point i was curious to hear what it sounded like so i turned my volume down on the headset and it was not too pleasant to hear so i turned that music back up!

i too had the rubber jaw opener things, but it didnt bother me. maybe it is because i have a big mouth anyways!

it has been almost 48 hours since my surgery, and i am doing allright. i had cajun crab legs for dinner last night (my request, crab doesnt involve a lot of chewing), mashed potatoes, veggies & a salad. i just had to take smaller bites & chew slowly. the 24 hours i only had chocolate pudding, tomato soup, yogurt & ICECREAM!

i have had a slight headache off and on since the surgery, but other than that the motrin is seeming to take care of all the pain.

about the syringe, correct me if i am wrong on this one, but you do not want to use that for the first couple of days because you may pull out the blood clot & get dry socket. my doctor did not tell me anything about a syringe, just to rinse with salt water after i eat and make sure food is not sitting in those holes (and those holes are DEEP just to let you know). just ask them about it before just in case.