Community Message Boards

Thread: How do I cook Lamb chops (Costco)?

How do I cook Lamb chops (Costco)?

I was feeling bold at Costco and bought a package of lamb chops--they are tiny -- looks like about 3 bites per chop. Any ideas on what method and how long to cook them? It's supposed to be pink inside right? I don't want to overdo it. I could try the grill as well -- supposed to be 100 today.

Here is a recipe I used around Valentine's Day that turned out great. Even if you didn't want to season them this way it gives some guidlines on how long to cook the chops. I used a cast iron pan. (I think Rachel Ray did also on her show that I saw)

Moroccan Rub Lamb Chops

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

6 loin lamb chops
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon ground cumin, a palm full
    2 teaspoons ground turmeric, eyeball it
    1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/3 palm full
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
    1 lemon, wedged

Preheat grill pan to high. Brush chops with a little olive
    oil. Combine dry spice blend in a small container, cover
    and shake to combine. Rub spice blend into the chops on
    both sides. Grill chops 7 to 8 minutes, turning once, for
    medium rare, 10 to 12 minutes for medium to medium
    well. Serve with wedges of lemon.

Yield: 6 servings
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 12 minutes
    Difficulty: Easy
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I made this recipe and really liked it. I did mine in a grill pan so I am sure you could use the grill. I don't remember how long I cooked them--I probably used my thermometer--but, yes, pink in the middle is the tastiest way. However, if you eat your beef well done, you may want to reconsider. Enjoy!

Greek Lamb Chops

1 tablespoon dried oregano
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    8 (4-ounce) lamb loin chops, trimmed
    Cooking spray

1. Preheat broiler.

2. Combine first 5 ingredients; rub over both sides of chops. Place chops on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    CALORIES 192 (39% from fat); FAT 8.4g (sat 3g, mono 3.6g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 25.8g; CARB 1.7g; FIBER 0.1g; CHOL 81mg; IRON 1.8mg; SODIUM 367mg; CALC 36mg

YIELD:
    4 servings (serving size: 2 lamb chops)

Cool

I guess my method is pretty much like erin elizabeth's, though I don't use a recipe. I psycho them (I pyscho anything I marinate) and slather with fresh garlic, oregano and lemon-- sometimes a bit of olive oil-- oh and pepper. Lots of pepper. And leave it overnight to marinate. Inadequate seasoning time, in my opinion, yields boring lamb chops. My alternate involves subbing herbs de provence for the oregano and not using lemon. In either case, I broil 'em, using the 10-minute-per-inch-of-thickness rule.

Will have to try the one Peggy suggested. Sounds really good.

thanks-- I will try the Greek style and I appreciate the advice about cooking time.

I tried the Greek Lamb Chops the other night and I thought they were very good. I must admit....I love lamb chops, so I can't think of a bad way to fix them. As long as you don't put too much on them. I like the taste of lamb, though. LaurieC

Re: How do I cook Lamb chops (Costco)?

Originally posted by ewatkins
    I was feeling bold at Costco and bought a package of lamb chops--they are tiny -- looks like about 3 bites per chop. Any ideas on what method and how long to cook them? It's supposed to be pink inside right? I don't want to overdo it. I could try the grill as well -- supposed to be 100 today.
    The loin chops you purchased are supposed to be cooked very briefly as the meat is very tender. You can pan sear them or grill them (BRIEFLY). I love Costco's little lamb chops - they're sublime.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

I recommend the Pesto Lamb Chops recipe out of the June 03 Cooking Light (I think). I'm not sure if it's online or not, my copy of the magazine is in a packed box so I don't have it handy, but basically i just spread some commercial pesto on the top of the lamb chops and broiled them for however long it was (10-15 min?). It seems like an odd combination but I really enjoyed it.

Tina