Community Message Boards

Thread: Fresh Tart Cherries for Pie...

Fresh Tart Cherries for Pie...

Hi,
    I was pleasantly suprised last night at my farmer's market when they had sour cherries by the quart. (The vendor said that the cool spring and late summer contributed to the late cherry season.) I bought 2 quarts (I practically needed a bank loan , but I'm hoping it will be worth it.) I want to make a cherry pie. I've never used fresh cherries before, only sour cherries in the can.

Any tried and true recipes using fresh cherries? Any tips? What is the best thickening agent for cherries? Tapioca? I really want to do this right. My DH loves cherry pie, besides I don't want to waste $9.50 worth of cherries. YIKES!

Renée
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.

sour cherries are the BEST!

I'm a long time fan of sour cherries -- they make fabulous jam and absolutely delicious pie! We have friends that every Christmas hope against hope for some jam from us. Of course, that's if you like sweet/tart combinations of things, which my family does.

Their season seems to be a week or two later than other cherries (in MA). They are juicier, so whenever I make a pie I use an additional T of tapioca. I don't have a recipe on me, but if memory serves, you need about 4.5 cups pitted cherries for a pie. I use a scant 1/2 cup sugar for a bing cherry pie so for sour cherries I'd use 1 cup sugar plus the extra tapioca. If you don't use the extra tapioca, you'll just have lots of juice, no harm there. But you will want the extra sugar.

As a matter of fact, I've got some pitted in the fridge right now. The rules in our house are that if you prep the fruit/vegs/whatever, you can influence what I make with it. Our DS just decided on PIE!

Let us know how yours turns out?!

I love fresh cherry pie!! I have a pie cherry tree in my yard, along with a bing cherry. Unfortunately my pie cherry tree is getting waaayyyy too much water and seems to be getting drowned, so it hasn't grown much at all. It's still a baby sapling trying really hard to produce a lot of fruit. I think I need to move it so I can finally get some good fruit production. Anyway, I digress.....

Thickening fresh fruit pies. I am not fond of using tapioca. I don't like the texture that it leaves. Arrowroot starch is pretty good. I've also seen recipes that use about 1/3 cup flour as a thickener.

But my favorite thickener to use is King Arthur's pie filling enhancer. They describe it as "a blend of thickener, superfine sugar, and ascorbic acid (to highlight the flavor of the fruit). Use enhancer in your favorite fruit pie, and get perfectly thickened filling -- not gluey, not cloudy, and NOT WATERY!"
    http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibi...35291418574807

Good luck!!
    http://www.pjrc.com

No matter how big or soft your bed is, you still have to get out of it.
    -Grace Slick, raucous rock diva

Try this link: http://www.cherrymkt.org/recipes/pies.html

Lots of other cherry recipes in the index, some for sweets, some for tarts. I live near the home of the National Cherry Festival, and all things cherry rule around here. Unfortunately, the sweet crop was a bust due to late frost, and the tarts are splitting due to too much rain at one time. There are some at my neighbor's across the street (they have an orchard & sell out of a stand), so I hope to get some to make jelly. Mmmm...

from elsewhere on this BB

We've missed the Traverse City Cherry Festival, but we're going to make it one of these days (my in-laws have a place near Point Betsie). In the meantime, how about this recipe for pie? I just realized I had it -- I had copied it from elsewhere, perhaps from this BB? I haven't made it, so I'd love to hear how it turns out!
    ---------------------------
    "This is the one I got at the Traverse City Cherry Festival a few years back..."

TRADITIONAL CHERRY PIE
    Makes 8 servings.
    2 (16-ounce) cans unsweetened tart cherries or 4 cups fresh or
    frozen unsweetened tart cherries
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca or cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    Pastry for 2-crust, 9-inch pie
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine

If using canned cherries, drain them well. Discard the juice or save for another use. If using fresh tart cherries, pit them. If using frozen cherries, it is not necessary to thaw them. Combine cherries,
    granulated sugar, tapioca and almond extract in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Let stand 15 minutes.
    Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; fill with cherry mixture. Dot with butter. Adjust top crust, cutting slits for steam to escape, or cut top crust into strips and make a lattice-top pie. Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven 50 to 60 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
    Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you. (one of the winners from the Washington Post Style Invitational)

Thanks for all the recipes and tips. I used tapiocca and did not precook the filling. The pie turned out great!

Renée
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.