Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing eggplant parmesan

Question Freezing eggplant parmesan

There are just the two of us and we love eggplant parmesan. The recipe could serve 6-8 and we don't want to eat it every day. Does anyone think I could freeze it?

I would suggest you go ahead and try it and see if it works for you. I have never done it but I'm guessing it might be a little mushy.

Hello there! This question sparked my interest b/c I have a 9 x 13 casserole of zucchini parm in the freezer, which I hope will turn out as wonderful as fresh. I have yet to bake it, so I have not treated it like a lasagne. Let me know what you all think too....and hopefully it's positive thoughts!!!!
    Muchas gracias
    JG

I'm not an expert on freezing by any means, but if I'm not mistaken,eggplant's water content is too high for it to freeze well. I'm guessing it would, indeed, be funky.

I'm not an expert on freezing by any means, but if I'm not mistaken,eggplant's water content is too high for it to freeze well. I'm guessing it would, indeed, be funky.

Thumbs up

Yes, you can freeze eggplant parm with no problem. When my daughter makes it she always makes 2 pans...one for party and one is put in the freezer for her aunt. Her aunt will thaw it and then bake until hot and bubbley. She thaws it because the eggplants have been breaded and fried so it is basically cooked.

Eggplant parmesan is also one of my favorite dishes and it freezes very well. If you cook the eggplant and assemble the dish before you freeze it, you won't end up with a soggy mess. I've frozen some, for as long as three months, in two portion containers and in twelve portion trays. I wrap it first with a plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil. The double wrap keeps it from getting the "dreaded freezer burn" and the plastic wrap also acts as a barrier that prevents the parmesan from interacting with the aluminum foil. Thaw the parmesan before baking it.
    Melina