Community Message Boards

Thread: Why would my freezer/fridge be doing this?

Question Why would my freezer/fridge be doing this?

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my fridge. I've got one of those side-by-side types where the freezer is on the left. Things in the freezer seem to get frosty very quickly. By that, I mean things in it get that thin layer of ice on the outside of the package. And they get freezer burn very quickly too. Is my freezer set too warm? Is it not sealed right? Any thoughts?

Check this site
    http://www.thefridgeguy.com.au/tips.htm

Didn't know if I could copy and paste.

1. To check the fridge temperature - leave a small bottle of water in that fridge for about 48 hours, then check its temperature. If it is above 4C - 5C then this fridge may not be operating properly.

2. To check the freezer temperature check the Ice Cream container. (If you have one) If it is too soft, the freezer is too warm. If the Ice cream is too hard the freezer may be too cold. (This may cause excessive ice frost in the freezer.)

3. Door Seals (and the fridge frame that contacts the door seals) may need to be cleaned occasionally as they tend to become sticky on the bottom part of the fridge door. This is where anything that is spilt tends to accumulate and may cause premature failure of the seal.

4. If your freezer is the type that requires regular defrosting, never use sharp knives, etc. to remove the ice. (If you puncture pipework, it will probably won't be repairable). Instead, allow the ice to melt naturally or use a hairdryer (not the hot air gun). Be careful to limit the water run off to reduce any possible electrical problem.

5. Vanilla Essence can be used to wipe down in fridge to remove smells.

6. Lingering smells can be absorbed with Bicarbonate soda in water and placed in a bowl for a few days inside fridge.

7. If your light bulb is not working and fridge doesn't seem to be working, don't panic. Wait one hour before calling repairman because fridge may have just gone on its off cycle. Light bulb works independently from the main workings of the fridge.

8. If a "frost free" fridge is not working properly (this includes most 'side by side' fridges) presence of frost on the back wall inside the freezer may indicate a fault in the defrost system.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Originally posted by SusanL
    Check this site
    http://www.thefridgeguy.com.au/tips.htm

2. To check the freezer temperature check the Ice Cream container. (If you have one) If it is too soft, the freezer is too warm. If the Ice cream is too hard the freezer may be too cold. (This may cause excessive ice frost in the freezer.)

8. If a "frost free" fridge is not working properly (this includes most 'side by side' fridges) presence of frost on the back wall inside the freezer may indicate a fault in the defrost system.
    Thanks, Susan! I think #2 might be the culprit. My ice cream is rock hard. My freezer temp was set to #6 of 7 settings. I turned it down to 5. Maybe that'll work. I didn't see a lot of frost on the back wall, so I don't think it's #8.

Gee, I was actually hoping it would be a lot more serious. I hate my fridge (it was here when we moved in) and was looking for an excuse for a new one.

Also check the door selas and make sure they are tight. That was my first thought. Warm air getting in/cold air getting out would cause the freezer to have to run more to stay cold (and would make things away from the door or leak area to be colder or harder than usual, and would cause more moisture to come in -- causing more frost and defrosting. If there is a leak, you would have more frost near the front o the freezer -- especially in the area where the leak might be. It could be as simple as something preventing the door from closing tight or a wrapper getting in the way of the seal, or it could be that the seal is old or worn. The temp alone would not cause more frost.