Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO non spicy bean recipes

ISO non spicy bean recipes

Hi. I posted on the healthy living board yesterday that I've been having stomach issues lately. So, I've been sticking to a really bland diet. The trouble is...one of my favorite thing in the whole world is a bean burrito! I'm craving beans! Does anyone have any bean recipes that aren't spicy and that don't have cheese?

Strange request, but I figure if anyone can help me out, you all can!

Thanks a bunch!
    Chrisi

Are you feeling any better??? sure hope so.

No great ideas here...except a can of re-fried beans heated through...maybe mix with some home-made or jarred salsa (if you're so inclined) and place in a corn tortilla (or flour if you prefer).

I make my own re-fried beans and can tell you what I do, but canned is easier if you're not feeling that great.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I think you could modify any bean recipe to leave out any spicy ingredients and cheese.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

What about red beans and rice? I don't have a recipe, unfortunately, but my ex used to make a really good red beans and rice that was rich and flavorful but not spicy. Someone here must have a good recipe, I would think...

Also, you could look at the recent bean thread for non-spicy recipes. As I recall, there were a lot of good recipes on that thread.

"In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

The Black Bean Stew recipe in August CL (page 128) is mild. I made it tonight and ended up adding garlic, chives, oregano, and extra pepper to get it up to snuff, but the original version (perhaps minus the chipolte paste) might be a good one for you.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Maybe a mild pasta e fagiole? I'm thinking tomato paste (not a spicy sauce), with just a touch of garlic, basil, and oregano, over small pasta shapes. Or wrapped in a flour tortilla for Burritos Italianos?

You could also try sauteeing some flavorful veggies (onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms) and mixing them into your mashed beans.

Let us know what works for you.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Chrisi, how about CL's Zippy Black Bean Burritos? You could use plain diced tomatoes instead of the tomatoes with green chilis, and leave out the cheese. You could also cut down on the other seasonings a bit if needed. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks to Terrytx who posted this on another thread - I just copied and pasted .

Zippy Black-Bean Burritos

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. September 2001. Page: 164.
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Meatless Sandwiches, Burgers, Wraps

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 can (10-ounce) diced tomatoes and green
    chiles, undrained
    1 can (15-ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
    4 flour tortillas (10-inch)
    1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded cheddar
    cheese
    Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)

Directions.
    1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, cumin, oregano, and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar and tomatoes; reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

2. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/2 cup bean mixture down center of each tortilla using a slotted spoon. Sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup cheese, and roll up. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired. Yield: 4 servings: (serving size: 1 tortilla).

Chrisi,

Hope you are feeling better! Do you like white beans? This is a fairly bland recipe from Laurel's Kitchen, by Laurel Robertson

Greek Beans

Cover a cup of white beans with water and add a carrot, an onion, and a stalk of celery (all chopped coarsely) and a hearty pinch of oregano. When the beans are tender, stir in 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and a pinch of paprika.

I also have a recipe for Cuban black beans, from a former co-worker of mine. These are not spicy, nor are they meant to be, but they are very tasty. She says that you can't skip the overnight soak or they won't taste right. She would bring these for potlucks and we always ate the entire batch!

Cuban Black Beans

1 pound black beans (approx 2 cups dried)
    2 green peppers
    1 large onion
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup vinegar
    salt to taste

The night before soak beans in cold water with one of the green peppers quartered. The next day start boiling the beans in the same water they were soaked in. The beans should boil for at least two hours, or until very tender. Do not add anything to the beans until they are tender. Then add the other green pepper cut up, the onion cut up, the garlic, pressed, the olive oil, vinegar, and salt. Simmer until onions and peppers are cooked (about another hour or so). Serve over white rice. They freeze very well, and thaw best in the microwave (add a little water before warming).

Courtesy of Virginia Garcia-Velez

Feel better soon,

Kyra

Chrisi,
    I don't have a recipe for you, sorry. I just wanted to say "hi". I miss you when you aren't around and I am sorry to hear you are having tummy troubles. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for all of the ideas! I'm actually feeling human today....of course, I've had toast, graham crackers, apple juice and a Slim Fast (good eats! ). So I'm hoping that after a few more days of taking it easy on my tummy I'll be back to "normal", whatever that is!

Hi Virginia!