Community Message Boards

Thread: help...can you freeze roasted red peppers?

Question help...can you freeze roasted red peppers?

I am going away on vacation and I have some beautiful red peppers that I don't want to waste. Is it possible to freeze roasted red peppers? And if so, what is the best way to package them?

TIA,
    Julie

You can freeze them in plastic containers or in freezer bags. In the freezer they will keep about 3 months.

Back to say that you can pack them in oil and vinegar in jars and they will keep for about 10 days in the frdge, if you didn't want to freeze all of them.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I freeze roasted red peppers every year at the end of the season when the peppers are abundant and cheap. They keep very well throughout the winter months. I individually flash freeze mine-- roast them and peel, lay out on a cookie sheet, freeze, then put them in a freezer bag.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I buy 3 bags (6 each) of HUGE red bell peppers at Costco about twice a year. I roast them, then freeze the equivalent of two peppers per bag, or about 3/4 cup. They get a lot smaller when they're roasted!

I use a simple technique to cut the peppers. First, I cut a slice off the bottom, thick enough that it gets the meat from the very tip of the bottom. I stand the pepper with the cut side down. To get rid of the membranes and seeds, I angle the knife so I can make a huge comma-shaped cut down one side in order to get the "shoulder" of the pepper and one entire side. I turn the pepper and do the next side. Usually I finish in about 4 cuts. I'm left with one circle from the base of the pepper and four rectangles from the top and sides.

Fill a cookie sheet with red pepper pieces, skin side up. Make sure they don't overlap. Roast under the broiler at least 15 minutes -- the blacker the skins, the easier they are to remove. You don't want any areas that look like they were not under the broiler.

After I take them out, I plop them all in a big heat-proof bowl and put plastic wrap over the top. I let them cool down almost completely. (I usually do several batches, so I just keep plopping them down in the same bowl. It's a big glass non-stainable bowl.)

Once they're relatively cool, which takes nearly an hour since the plastic wrap is keeping a lot of the heat in, I start peeling them. Fingers work best for stubborn areas, but I usually just rub the skin side on a damp paper towel and it comes right off. Fingers turn orange and any light-colored cutting board will stain, so I usually just work right out of the bowl over a trash can. I drop the cleaned pieces in another bowl.

Then I set up my filling station. I turn the top 2" of about 10 regular ziploc sandwich bags inside out so that the top edge of the bag is protected from nasty juices that will get on my clothes when I take them OUT of the freezer. I fill with about 10 pieces of pepper (the equivalent of two peppers, if you're using the technique above for cutting). A good hint is to line your countertop with newspaper so that the pepper juice doesn't stain or damage anything - it's potent!

After I wash my hands, I squeeze the air out of the ziplocs and close them. The peppers don't fill up the whole bag, so I kinda roll the bag into a log so they freeze more uniformly. Then I put all the bags into a big freezer bag. (They look like taquitoes standing on end in there.) Into the freezer they go.

Just so you know, I've been known to use a bag of these an entire year after I processed it (it got lost in the back of the freezer, so I just made more) and it was great. That was my normal kitchen freezer, not my deep freezer.

To use them, I just grab a bag about 15 minutes before I need it and put it in a bowl of slightly warm water to defrost it. I break up the frozen parts with my fingers occasionally to speed the process.

Here's a link to my very most favorite recipe for using roasted red bell peppers. (Right now it's the last post. You'll have to scroll down to get to it.) It's my own version of a CL recipe from last summer.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...threadid=39760