Community Message Boards

Thread: Trader Joe's frozen fish?

Trader Joe's frozen fish?

I've looked through the threads recommending TJs products already, and saw a few recommendations for TJs frozen fish.

What I really want to know is what people who have tried the frozen fish really think about it. It would make my life easier if I didn't have to stop at the grocery store whenever I feel like making a fish dish. Granted, sometimes there's no such thing as fresh fish (like when my friends catch it and give me some).

TIA
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

Hi!

I was wondering the same thing recently, and here's what some folks had to say:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ght=fresh+fish

It seems like most people are fans of frozen fish.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

Ive only had mahi mahi and tilapia and both were fine. It is frozen fish so of course it's not the greatest but I do buy it when I'm there becasue it's extremely cheap!
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

I've had the salmon, and it was fine. I like that I can get wild salmon without added color.

Kim

I can't remember which kinds I've tried, but I have tried 7-8 types and have been impressed with all of them. Their scallops are yummy too.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I've tried the salmon filets and the tuna steaks. I thought the tuna was fabulous and the salmon okay and I really like salmon. The salmon filets I got had the skin still on them and I guess I just don't care for that - it kind of turns my stomach.

I'd highly recommend the tuna steaks.

I think their frozen fish is pretty decent. I've tried and liked their tilapia, red snapper, halibut, striped bass, shrimp and scallops. I did get some frozen salmon there that I had to toss in the garbage. Actually, I've tried frozen salmon a few times (from various places) and have never liked it. So, it might not have been "bad" at TJ's---I think I just don't personally care for it frozen. I absolutely love it fresh, though.

I think of all the stuff they have, the ahi and the shrimp is the best, but other things are good too. I say, take a "flyer" and try one type, and see what you think. If you like it, try other kinds. I agree, it's AWESOME to have it in the freezer so some busy night you can just pull it out and have a seafood dinner with little planning. And the prices are great. But, some people seem really sensitive and don't like frozen fish, so you just have to try it, I think.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

I've only had the tuna (the albacore steaks) and they are really good. I usually do the Greek Tuna Steaks recipe from the 2002 CL Annual. Very easy and light. The tuna is very good and I'm pretty picky about seafood. Plus they sell them in packets of two which is perfect for just my husband and me.

I buy most of my fish from TJ's, all of it frozen. Just had some tuna the other night (ahi) and had some shrimp later on. If you go for shrimp, I recommend getting it tail on, uncooked, but cleaned and deveined! I also have some albacore tuna, salmon, and swordfish in the freezer, but I haven't given those a shot yet.

The fish defrost in less than 10 minutes with cold water running directly over the packets, so they're great for a quick dinner.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I buy most of my fish from TJ's too. My local market's fish/meat department smells bad, and I'm too lazy to seek out a fish market. I use the tilapia, halibut, mahimahi, snapper, and albacore about once a week.

Originally posted by MKSquared
    I buy most of my fish from TJ's, all of it frozen. Just had some tuna the other night (ahi) and had some shrimp later on. If you go for shrimp, I recommend getting it tail on, uncooked, but cleaned and deveined!
    LOL--I just went to TJ's this morning and bought some ahi and a bag of the tail on, uncooked, cleaned and deveined shrimp!
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

I think it's all relative - it happens that where I live, nearly every supermarket has excellent fresh fish. So, mostly that's what I buy, and when I do buy it, I try to use it within 24 hours or so.

I do buy TJ's fish sometimes for convenience, but I find it's best in a recipe with a lot of sauce, or in a stew or fish tacos, for example. Of course, the shrimp is fine. But if I am just doing a simple grilled or baked fish, I only use fresh, since there's nothing quite like it (around here that is!)

Just had to add my "thumbs up" of TJ's frozen fish. I just tried it for the first time last week and was very pleased. I bought the Ahi Tuna and used it to make the "Japanese Barbeque" menu from Rachael Ray's show. Anyway, it appears that the fish is "flash" frozen when caught and vacuum packed. Believe it or not, it seemed much fresher to me than what I buy as fresh at my local grocery store. No smell, very moist, and good flavor. I can't wait to try the other types.
    Christine

We had some frozen squid from TJ's the other night. Not so good - fishy smell and fishy taste. We have had frozen salmon and tuna from there, and neither have been too bad, but certainly not as good as fresh (but then again, I buy some good quality fresh fish from Whole Foods and fish markets at the Jersey shore).
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.