Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter-Banana Crispy Rice Bars

Thumbs up Peanut Butter-Banana Crispy Rice Bars

Julia isn't feeling well and doesn't have much of an appetite. I thought I might tempt her tummy with this tasty, healthy treat. I just took them out of the oven a little while ago and I tried a sample. They are very good. These aren't the typical decadent bars I am known for posting. They definitely have a "healthy flare" to them in their taste and texture. But that isn't a bad thing. They are dense and tasty.

the nutritional info below is correct and the bars are very good-sized. (I just used a half cup of chips to keep them healthier, but the stats below are for the full cup.)

I have only tried them warm and I haven't given a taste to Julia yet, so I will report back later with some further reviews...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Peanut Butter-Banana Crispy Rice Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    1/8 teaspoon sea salt
    1 cup Rice Krispies«
    2 ripe bananas -- mashed
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup natural peanut butter
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 large egg
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

2 In a mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, pastry flour, wheat germ and salt. Stir in cereal.

3 In a food processor, combine bananas, sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter, oil, egg and vanilla. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and stir just to blend. Stir in chocolate chips.

4 Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. (Mine were done in 20 minutes.)

Source:
    "Mimi's Recipe Exchange"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 250 Calories; 9g Fat (32.0% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 63mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
    Last edited by valchemist; 08-04-2003 at 12:31 PM.

Those sound good, val. Is the banana flavor real pronounced or is it more to make them moist? Would you say they are tough enough to hold up as a hiking snack?
    I'm always looking for things that are not too fragile and that don't get sticky. I get sick of M&M's and granola bars. Val

You can definitely taste both the PB and the banana. but neither is overpowering. they'd be PERFECT for a hiking snack. high energy and not fragile.

A couple more notes...
    I didn't have whole wheat pastry flour, so I just used regular whole wheat flour. The original recipe called for "crispy brown rice cereal" but I couldn't find that so I used rice krispies. The bars aren't all that krispy and I think adding an extra 1/2 cup or cup of rice krispies would be good. but the bars are good as is!

I hope little Julia is feeling better
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thanks Val. I just bought rice crispies as that's also all I could find. I will make these tomorrow. My DH always takes a brownie-type cookie for dessert in his lunch and these sound like they'd be good for that also.

Did you ever try the cherry granola bars from EW? they are a favorite here, but we need variety. or the apricot oatmeal ones?
    I expect you have but if not I'll post them tomorrow. Val

Ana, Julia is starting to feel a bit better. She has (had?) a stomach virus.

Val, I haven't tried either of those recipes. I do have the recipe for the apricot bars, though. I'd love to see the cherry granola ones when you get a chance!

Let me know how you and your family like these.

Val---did you use the full amount of oil when you made it? Just wondering if I could cut that down some without sacrificing the recipe. Sounds like something my kids would love. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

you're welcome, heather.

yes, I used the full amount of oil. I think it is needed. if you want to cut down on the fat, I would suggest using only 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, as I did. that worked out fine.

here is the nutritional info using 1/2 cup chips.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 236 Calories; 8g Fat (30.9% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 63mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Good idea. I'm sure 1/2 cup of chips is plenty.

I would like to see both of the granola bar recipes. I can't seem to find either....Could it be that I missed something The DH likes granola bars for his afternoon snack at work. In the mean time I will try these you posted, Val.

bar cookies

Well, now I feel like an idiot!. I found the 2 cookie recipes & had the vague feeling that I had seen them here before although I did not remember typing them in. Found a thread from last spring where Valchemist posted both of them. "cherry bars" are actually "cranberry-granola blondies" but I've always used dry cherries instead so my brain morphed them into 'cherry bars". whaaatever... they are very good, not too sweet. we use them as a hiking snack and sometimes with peanut butter for a backpacking breakfast. I use dry cherries either sweet or tart. the apricot oatmeal ones are stickier. be sure to use the "all fruit" preserves rather than regular preserves which turn out too sweet.

Apricot Oatmeal Bars
    Serving Size : 15

1 c quick-cooking oats
    1 c flour
    2/3 c packed light brown sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 c vegetable oil
    1/4 c apple juice -- (or cranberry juice)
    10 ozs apricot preserves -- preferably "all fruit" (1 scant cup)

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly oil an 8 by 12 baking dish or coat it with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large bowl, work together oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda with your fingertips until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Drizzle oil and fruit juice over the oats and mix in with your fingertips until evenly moistened and crumbly.

Set aside 1/2 cup for the topping. Press the remainder evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread apricot preserves over the top. sprinkle with the reserved oat topping.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden.

Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.

Description:
    "My note: I bet these would be good with any kind of preserves, not
    just apricot."
    Source:
    "Eating Well, July/August 1995, page 79"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 168 Calories; 4g Fat (21.3% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 68mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES :
    These pretty streusel-topped bars are quick to make and easy to transport. Made with unsweetened apricot preserves, they are a good source of potassium and beta carotene.

Nutritional Info: 195 calories, 3g protein, 4g fat, 36g carb, 55mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol

Cranberry Granola Blondies
    Serving Size : 20

1 c flour
    1 baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
    1/4 c vegetable oil
    3 egg whites
    2 c lowfat granola -- (with raisins)
    1 c dried cranberries -- (or chopped dried cherries)

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish or coat it with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat together brown sugar, oil, and egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended. Stir in granola and dried fruit (the batter will be quite thick).

Transfer the batter into the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are golden brown and feel "set" when lightly pressed in the center.

Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 20 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.

Source:
    "Eating Well, July/August 1995, page 76"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 143 Calories; 3g Fat (21.1% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 77mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES :
    Packed with dried fruit and cereal, these firm bars are excellent travellers, full of complex carbohydrates, vitamins, and trace minerals.

Nutritional Info: 130 calories, 3 g fat, 2 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 103 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol

Thank you, I actually did have the cranberry one. Found it looking under cranberry instead of cherry I will try these soon.

I printed off the Peanut Butter-Banana Crispy Rice Bars last night and made them since I had all of the ingredients on hand. I subbed regular whole wheat flour, too, and used 2 c. of Rice Krispies as suggested. We ate them for breakfast this AM. I used the full amount of chocoalate chips.

We all liked the flavor very much, but I was undecided about the Rice Krispies. They were not crispy, but more a very chewy texture...more so than the rest of the bar. The kids asked me to leave the cereal out next time, but they did go ahead and finish theirs. I guess I'll make it without next time and see how we like them. The flavor was great, and makes it definitely worth tinkering with the cereal part! Thanks for posting the recipe!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

These would probably be great with raisins instead of choco chips, too, and better for you. Can't wait to try them.

Great idea Susan!!

oops. sorry. I actually thought more krispies would be better. but I agree that the bars would be just as good if you left them out completely.

ok, I see what kathy means about the rice krispies. they were crisp on the first day, but now they are chewy. not bad, but just not what they are "advertised" to be based on the recipe name. Leaving them out wouldn't be a bad idea. (since you made them the night before, kathy, I guess you never tasted the crispness. I actually liked that crunch on day one.) But if you plan to serve them all on day one for some reason, leave the krispies in.

Thumbs up

I made these yesterday and they're good. I used 1 cup white flour and 1 cup whole wheat; regular peanut butter; a little extra vanilla; and 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips. My bananas were only medium sized, so I think I should have added another banana. They're a little drier than I would have liked and I think some extra banana would have helped. Of course this didn't keep me from eating about a fourth of the pan! For those that want to omit the Rice Krispies, I wonder if oats would work in their place.

I think oats would be a great idea!

mine weren't dry at all, so I think you are right that the small bananas caused that. good to know the increased amount of whole wheat flour worked.

Val - Must thank you for this recipe. It looks like a winner. I might even be a fan of the rubbery krispies on the second or third day
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

you're welcome. yeah, the krispies aren't bad, actually. but I am liking Linda's oatmeal idea. I think the oat texture would be great and oats are more healthy (less processed) than rice krispies.

I ran the revised recipe (with 1 cup ww flour and 1 cup oats) through mastercook. here is the info...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Peanut Butter-Banana Crispy Rice Bars - revised

Recipe By :

1 c all-purpose flour
    1 c whole-wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    1/8 teaspoon sea salt
    1 c rolled oats
    3 ripe bananas -- mashed
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 large egg
    1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips

1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

2 In a mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, pastry flour, wheat germ and salt. Stir in cereal.

3 In a food processor, combine bananas, sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter, oil, egg and vanilla. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and stir just to blend. Stir in chocolate chips.

4 Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.

Source:
    "Mimi's Recipe Exchange"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 242 Calories; 9g Fat (30.2% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 63mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.
    Last edited by valchemist; 08-06-2003 at 11:20 AM.

Originally posted by valchemist
    I think oats would be a great idea!

mine weren't dry at all, so I think you are right that the small bananas caused that. good to know the increased amount of whole wheat flour worked.
    Of course someone could argue that the extra whole wheat flour caused them to be dry. But they're not super dry. I think the extra banana would do the trick. I also think if I used the oats, I would also go ahead and use 3 bananas.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that I added 1 t. cinnamon to the dry ingredients. This made them taste similar to those Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins that BlueMoose posted a long time ago.

good point. I think I will go back and edit to include 3 bananas.

Thumbs up

I made these yesterday using all whole wheat flour and 2 egg whites. I think I'll add a third banana next time, and maybe try the oats. But we liked the results so far.

I made these yesterday. I was in the mood to bake, and PB and bananas are two of DH's favorite items in the world.

They are good, but they are *definitely* energy bars, IMHO. From the name & description, I was expecting more of a bar cookie. They are extremely dense, packed w/carbs and at 250 calories, I can only justify if I'm doing a killer workout that day. We do like them, though. The good news is that they're so filling, you can really only eat one (instead of peanut butter cookies, where we typically eat 10 so the total calories probably come out the same!) Since it's just me & DH, I froze a bunch of them. Hoping those turn out OK.

Originally posted by SusanMac
    They are good, but they are *definitely* energy bars, IMHO. From the name & description, I was expecting more of a bar cookie.
    yes, you are right. I was trying to get that point across when I said, "These aren't the typical decadent bars I am known for posting. They definitely have a "healthy flare" to them in their taste and texture. But that isn't a bad thing. They are dense and tasty. "

but I think your way of putting it is more definitive.

I tried the revised recipe (below) today. It came out very well. The taste and texture were great. I actually thought the texture of these were noticeably better. The extra whole wheat flour and the oatmeal worked out fine.

only problem that the PB flavor got drowned out by that extra banana. I think next time I will used 1/2 cup of PB instead of only 1/4 cup. This is how the nutrition would look if I did that:
    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 240 Calories; 9g Fat (32.4% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 83mg Sodium.

Peanut Butter-Banana Bars - revised

Recipe By :

1 c all-purpose flour
    1 c whole-wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    1/8 teaspoon sea salt
    1 c rolled oats
    3 ripe bananas -- mashed
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 large egg
    1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips

4 Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

Source:
    "Mimi's Recipe Exchange"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 242 Calories; 9g Fat (30.2% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 63mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

I made these the other day and they're very good! I made a bunch of changes from the original recipe, though. I used regular oats instead of the crispy rice cereal, whole wheat pastry flour, toasted wheat germ, Egg Beaters instead of a whole egg, 1/2 cup PB, and 1 cup mashed banana (not sure what the measurement for 3 bananas would work out to). I like these bars a lot. They have a nice texture, kind of dense and chewy, and the oats make them very hearty, but of course I can't compare with using the cereal. The PB/banana combo is really good too, and I was able to notice both flavors with the amounts of PB and banana I put in. I like the chocolate chips in them, but I think the bars would be just as good without them. Oh, I froze the bars I made to pull out for quick snakcs, and I found out they don't freeze rock solid so I've been eating them straight from the freezer. Very refreshing on a hot day! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Val!

Kari

I finally got around to making these this past weekend-WOW-all that time wasted when I could have been eating these. We had a lot of people in and out of our house all weekend and every single person loved these!! The DH has all ready asked me to make some more.

glad you liked them, Terry!

did you try the rice crispy version or the oats version?