Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I use cooking spray instead of buttering and flouring??

Question Can I use cooking spray instead of buttering and flouring??

I'm planning to make Beverly Hills Farm Brownies posted by JeAnne next week for our meeting. The thread mentioned people had hard time getting brownies out of the pan...I don't need to take it out from the pan, since I"m planning to take pan with us. So the question is....can I just spray the pan, instead of buttering and flouring??? What difference does it make????

When I make brownies, I usually just spray the pan, leave brownies in the pan and scoop the square out whenever I want to eat.

TIA!

You could line your pan with REYNOLDS RELEASE!
    A great new foil one side is NON STICK!
    I have used it for making oven fried chicken, no stick, no cleanup!
    Curleytop

Go out and buy some Baker's Joy. I haven't tried this recipe, but goodness knows it works like a miracle on everything else.

It's a combo oil/flour spray, but works better than oiling (or buttering) and flouring the pan, IMHO.

Seriously, it rocks!
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Re: Can I use cooking spray instead of buttering and flouring??

Originally posted by nori
    The thread mentioned people had hard time getting brownies out of the pan...I don't need to take it out from the pan, since I"m planning to take pan with us.
    They still need to come out of the pan sometime, even if you don't pull them all out at once. If people are having trouble getting them all out at once (and I'm not sure that's what they meant), you'll probably have trouble getting them out one at a time too. I would just butter and flour to be safe, if that's what they recommend. What would it hurt?

another vote for Baker's Joy if you can find it.

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I've read recipes that mention spraying a pan with regular cooking spray (Pam, for example), spreading the oil around with a paper towel or pastry brush, then spraying again and dusting with flour.

If it's for someone else to share and you need to think at least a little about presentation, I'd say line the pan with foil, spray that, flour it, and then just remove the brownies, foil and all when they are done. I've seen similar ideas when the baked goods in question are sort of delicate, and the foil lets you pick the entire thing up out of the pan, instead of taking the risk of turning the pan over to get them out.

I'm reluctant to cut things in the pan, since I don't want to scratch my pans.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I second the motion for Release foil!! For me this is the greatest product of the year, I use it all the time and have had nothing stick to it at all!

Karen

I made the recipe last week and I used Baker's Joy. If you don't have that you can spray and then flour. I really find the only time I have difficulty getting brownies out of the pan is when I have difficulty waiting till they're cool enough!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I made these last week and buttered and floured. I didn't have any trouble getting them out of the pan. My problem was keeping them in the pan..... Boy are these gooooooood. I did wait until they had cooled completely.
    Maureen

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

I use parchment paper, making the lining a bit longer so that it hangs over the sides. Then when it cools, just life up on the paper - voila!

I knew about Reynolds Release, but Baker's Joy was new to me. I'll be looking for it at the store next time.

Meanwhile.....as Eva said, it won't hurt to butter and flour so this time I'll follow the recipe exactly. I guess I was just too lazy to do 2-step process, instead of just spraying once.

I can't wait to try this recipe! Looks like the great one. I'm planning to halve the recipe, though. Too much leftover is too dangerous.

Thanks!

I usually just use waxed paper on the bottom of the pan and spray.