Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you make a pound cake in a bundt pan?

Can you make a pound cake in a bundt pan?

I'm making the Mega Vanilla pound cake this weekend and would like the presentation of making it in a bundt pan. Will this would work or would I have to double the recipe?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Loren, I'm thinking double the recipe and adjust the cooking time. Unless they make smaller bundt pans! (ooo, something else to buy )
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Hi Gracie,

My family has a traditional pound cake recipe that has been made in a bundt pan for generations. The original recipe says it makes two loaves (9x4), so I am guessing you will need to double yours if it only makes one.

Bundt pans are different sizes though, so if you are not sure, you could fill your loaf pan a little more than halfway with water (that's about the amount of batter you usually get) and pour that into your bundt pan so see how full that would be.

I use this (or similar) method of volume estimation often when I am deciding to bake stuff in a different presentation that the recipe suggests. It really works!

Good luck with your cake!

-heather

The more I thought about it, the more I thought I'd have to double the recipe. Thanks for confirming, Heather, because the recipe only makes one loaf.

Loren

Someone wouldn't happen to have that recipe handy...would they?
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

I always make the CL Lemon blueberry pound cake in a bundt pan.

C<><
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

Loren, If the mega vanilla pound cake that you are planning to make is the same one that I posted on the vanilla cake thread (see below) then it does say you can make it in a Bundt. But perhaps your Bundt pan is larger than the one suggested in the recipe (I know mine is).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mega-Vanilla Pound Cake

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cakes Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    CAKE:
    1 cup unsalted butter -- (2 sticks)
    1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons light brown sugar -- packed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon vanilla paste
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
    4 large eggs
    GLAZE:
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1 pinch salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla paste plus 1 teaspoon vanilla
    extract

CAKE: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugars, salt, vanilla and baking powder till smooth and fluffy. Add the flour and mix well; the batter will be almost paste-like. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl after each addition; the batter will be quite fluffy.

Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9- to 10-inch tube pan, 9- to 10-cup bundt-style pan, or 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Bake the cake in a preheated 350F oven for about 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven, and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, while you're making the glaze.

GLAZE: Bring the sugar, water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan, and boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.

Turn the warm cake out onto a rack. Poke the cake all over with something long and thin, like a cake tester or ice pick. Slowly drizzle or brush the glaze over the cake, continuing to brush till the glaze is gone. Allow the cake to cool fully before slicing. Serve with sliced fresh fruit, if desired. Yield: 1 cake, about 16 servings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 320 Calories; 17g Fat (47.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 104mg Cholesterol; 163mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

Hmmmm, my hand-me-down bundt pan is 12 cups. Guess that's why I use a 2-loaf recipe?

Maybe you don't need to double this for your bundt pan, Loren.

You could always put as much in the bundt pan as looked right and then make the rest in mini-loaves or muffins if you doubled it.

Good luck,
    heather

Originally posted by valchemist
    Loren, If the mega vanilla pound cake that you are planning to make is the same one that I posted on the vanilla cake thread (see below) then it does say you can make it in a Bundt. But perhaps your Bundt pan is larger than the one suggested in the recipe (I know mine is).

Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9- to 10-inch tube pan, 9- to 10-cup bundt-style pan, or 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
    Yes Val this is the one. I bought the paste right after you posted this and I haven't tried it yet.

My bundt pan is the stoneware one from PC. I'll have to check its capacity. It would be really nice not to double the recipe.

Editing to say that doubling the recipe might actually be too much for the pan, but what if it's only over by a little bit?

Loren

Many thanks for posting the recipe, Val. I'll be making this one tonight for DH, who doesn't do chocolate and will be in vanilla heaven.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

Ack!! I just checked the product specs online for the PC stoneware fluted pan (that's their name for it) and it's an 11 - cup volume.

NOW what do I do? To double or not to double, that is the question!

Any thoughts?

Loren

Do you have any mini-loaf pans, or other little pans? You could double the recipe, and then put extra in a muffin tin or mini-loaves or some other little pan.

good luck!

-heather

Could someone please tell me what vanilla paste is and where I would find it? I have never seen it in the regular baking section of the grocery store. TIA!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I bought Vanilla Paste at Marshall Fields

Originally posted by Kathy B
    Could someone please tell me what vanilla paste is and where I would find it? I have never seen it in the regular baking section of the grocery store. TIA!
    check out this thread:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...=vanilla+paste

I ended up one-and-a-halfing the recipe and it was perfect! It filled the pan about halfway with batter and rose to within an inch or two of the top. Absolutely perfect.

Now to taste it...

Report later!

Loren

I have a question that I pretty much already know the answer to, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. My cake came out of the pan beautifully and all, but I think I made a crucial error in glazing. Instead of leaving it on the wire rack like I should have, I went ahead and transferred it to a plate and glazed it there. As a result, the bottom of the cake got soggy. Is that why, or has anyone who glazed on the wire rack gotten the same result? I was so disgusted with the thing that I can't even tell you now if it tasted good or not. The family is scarfing it, so that's a good sign. Maybe I should try another bite of it... BTW, I doubled the recipe and it fit in my bundt pan just fine.

What do y'all think?
    Just another Susan

Little bopeep I did the same thing you did. I thought it would be pretty weird to glaze it on a rack because then all the extra glaze would end up on my countertop (although I could have "caught" it on a plate now that I think about it).

I used my pastry brush and kept sopping up the glaze from under the cake and rebrushing it onto the top and sides. I did this for a long time until I couldn't see any more glaze on the plate. I still had some glaze on the bottom that I didn't get up and into the cake, but it wasn't overpowering. The taste was more like an upside down cake - having the glaze on the bottom of the cake rather than on the top.

I think next time I'd use a larger-diameter skewer to make bigger holes in the cake to absorb the glaze better.

Loren