Community Message Boards

Thread: What exactly is tapioca?

Question What exactly is tapioca?

Pardon my ignorance but what is this stuff made from? I have made tapioca pudding many times and also used it as a thickener when making fruit pies, the box says that the ingredient is "tapioca". Is it grown like rice?

I have not used the long cooking type (even though I have it in my cabinet). What is this type used for? I believe I have the medium size pearl.

TIA for any info!

You said any info! Tapioca is made from the root of a plant and that is my info---I do not know what plant or how but that is what it is

Here you go, straight from Epicurious's handy-dandy food dictionary-- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Tapioca (well, almost):

tapioca; tapioca flour

[tap-ee-OH-kuh]
    A starchy substance extracted from the root of the CASSAVA plant. It's available in several forms including granules, flakes, pellets (called pearl tapioca ) and flour or starch. The most widely available forms are tapioca flour (also called cassava flour ) and pearl tapioca. The flour is used as a thickening agent for soups, fruit fillings, glazes, etc., much like CORNSTARCH. Pearl tapioca is used mainly to make pudding and comes in several sizes, regular or instant forms and in a variety of prepackaged flavors. Pearl tapioca is available in most supermarkets, whereas the other forms are more commonly found in health-food stores and Asian markets. If stored in a cool, dark place, all types of tapioca will keep indefinitely.

...now we BOTH learned something!

Smile

Thanks for the great answers! I never would have guessed that it was from the root of the cassava plant, not that I have ever seen one.