Community Message Boards

Thread: Frozen Mashed Bananas?

Frozen Mashed Bananas?

I have several bananas at home that are the perfect ripeness (nearly spoiled) for banana bread, but I have no time right now to make the bread.

Has anyone ever tried mashing bananas and freezing them for use at a later time? I know that the peels on whole bananas get black if you refrigerate/freeze them, but how about the fruit itself?

Too busy to bake - I need a life.

I freeze bananas all the time! The best part is when you defrost and peel them, the banana comes out pretty mushy!

JeAnne
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

I peel them and break into 5-6 chunks, then freeze. The frozen chunks get used for both baking and smoothies, and I can take out just as much as I need (2-3 chunks for a smoothie, 6-8 for a cup of mashed banana).

Terrific! Thanks for the great advice!

I like to peel & freeze bananas even before they are over-ripe. You can keep them in a ziploc & eat 'em for a snack. Frozen bananas are so good (good dipped in chocolate too, he he...) and a healthy alternative to ice cream or popsicles when a craving for something cold & creamy hits!

Jennifer

frozen bananas are the yummiest-well those and frozen green grapes. bananas freeze so well too, that you definetly should freeze, rather than waste, the bananas.

My Vietnamese hairdresser told me that in Vietnam they mash thier overripe bananas and spread the banana out thin then freeze them. She said that was her favorite snack when she was a child.
    I've tried it and it's pretty tasty!

i'm with gertdog - that's how i handle the banana dilemma!

I feeze them whole. When I need a bananna for bread etc., I just defrost them on the counter or in the microwave. When defrosted, I just snip off the end and squeeze out the bananna. It is pretty mushy. The only bad thing is that I often have frozen banannas flying out of my freezer! People do tend to ask about them.

Rae,

I'm with you. I just toss them in the freezer whole. I just moved them to the chest freezer, but I need to do some baking soon. I have 8 at the moment.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

And of course after getting all this wonderful advice about how to store bananas, I managed to find time to bake the banana bread last night after all! Of course the last loaf didn't come out of the oven until 11:10 p.m., but the house smelled yummy and I couldn't wait to have some banana bread this morning.

I'm very glad to hear that you can freeze frozen bananas for later use, and although I didn't do it this time, I'm CERTAIN there will be many other occasions to do so.

Thanks, all!