Community Message Boards

Thread: Why are my cookies so flat?

Why are my cookies so flat?

Every time I make chocolate chip cookies, no matter what recipe I use, they turn out totally flat. What am I doing wrong??

are you sure your baking soda is fresh? also, i have noticed i get much flatter cookies if i use margerine instead of crisco or butter. who knows...

This has been discussed a lot on this board. I will try to see if I can figure out how to narrow down a search to find some of the old threads for you. If you are making your cookies with all butter, that is probably causing them to spread. If you use shortening (for all or part of the fat) it does not melt as quickly, so the cookies will not spread as much. I prefer to use all butter, so I put the dough in the freezer after I form the cookies. Because it is so cold going into the oven the cookies don't spread as much.

You also might try doing a search for Alton Brown's "Puffy" chocolate chip cookies recipe, which I think has been posted here before.

Claire

My cookies tend to be flat when I use too much oil or butter and when the baking powder/soda isn't fresh.

Sometimes if you over beat the batter, the cookies will spread a lot. I have noticed that certain cc cookie recipes spread no matter what you do.

I have a great one that uses all butter and all brown sugar that is puffy and doesn't spread. If you like, I'll post the recipe later.

Here are a couple of old threads to look at:

Flat Cookies

More Flat Cookies

Also, here is a thread with a bunch of chocolate chip cookie recipes (including the Alton Brown recipes and also a link to a blog some BB members created while testing lots of different recipes.

Claire

I had the same problem with the Chocolate Chip cookies from RED MILL
    Muesli. Delicious but, spread out too much. First I added more muesli, still too soft, then instead of 3/4 cup flour, I added 1 cup of flour instead, and voila, they didn't spread. So, try increasing the flour!
    Curleytop

there was a food scientist on Sara Moulton's show a few weeks ago. I think her name is Shirley Corriher. she was talking about this exact thing, & how to get the kind of c.c. cookies you like. It was due in part to the type of fat used. but I don't remember which caused what. I find that by adding maybe 1/4 cup more flour my cookies stay thicker. I like thicker chewy cookies rather than thin/crispy. I never use use crisco type stuff, and used to use 1/2 butter, 1/2 margarine. haven't made them in years though.

Edited to say she has a new book called 'cookwise" that has recipes plus the science behind how & why things work the way they do. I looked at amazon, and chocolate chip cookies are in the index. on air she gave a fairly lengthy explanation on how to get the kind of cookies you like.

I did a search on baking911.com and here is what the resident expert over there said when a reader inquired why her friends cookies turned out so nicely and hers so flat when using the same recipe:

"It has to do with the amount of flour in the recipe. Compare notes on how she measures the ingredients. If she is scooping the flour into her measuring cup and you are spooning the flour into your measuring cup, she will get more flour and the cookies will puff more. Also, compare notes on the type of baking pans you both use-- on light, aluminum sheets, cookies spread less than if baked on dark, nonstick pans. If your oven is off and hers isn't, you'll get different cookies -- an oven thermometer will help with this. Let me know what happens."

Hope this is helpful.

d
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Here's my recipe for fluffy, chewy chocolate chip cookies.

Makes 29 cookies

3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup salted butter (2 sticks), softened
    2-1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 large eggs
    2-1/3 cups chocolate chips
    1-1/2 cups walnut pieces, toasted

1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
    2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, mixing well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and beat just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
    3. Drop by 1/4 cup (I use a cookie scoop) measure 2-inches apart onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.Bake in preheated 350F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until just puffed and pale golden. Cookies will still be soft to the touch and look somewhat undercooked. Let cookies cool completely on pans on racks.

I think that this recipe is on my website as well: www.juliehasson.com
    Last edited by pumkinmuffin; 10-10-2003 at 06:04 PM.