Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has Columbus Day off?

Who has Columbus Day off?

Just curious who gets this day off. I only know that the kids are off from school but everyone else is working. Oh, perhaps government offices are closed too. So, are you working or not?

The stock market is OPEN, so I'm working!

Vanessa
    Why does everyone always ask me 'How's Married Life' now that I'm married? Did I miss some huge metamorphosis when I became married? I always say 'It's the same as single life, but my left hand is a bit heavier and I have an extra piece of paper to keep track of now'

I do. (I work for a state agency.) As far as I know all Ca. state agencies are closed and I think the same is true for all counties (i.e. court houses, human services, etc).
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

My children are in school tomorrow, so as far as I can tell, Columbus Day isn't any more than an excuse for a sale around here .

I'm off - I work for the state government.

Originally posted by ClaraB
    My children are in school tomorrow, so as far as I can tell, Columbus Day isn't any more than an excuse for a sale around here .
    Ditto for here in Indiana. Neither DH nor the kids get off tomorrow.

Originally posted by lindrusso
    Neither DH nor the kids get off tomorrow.
    Same here!
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I AM OFF!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

I have been looking forward to this 3-day weekend for weeks...NOBODY had better call me before 10am tomorrow!
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I'm off tomorrow- yeah! (no school) Even DH, who works in retail, is off. Of course, he has worked EVERY other Monday holiday this year, so he was owed at least this one. Looks like we'll be going kayaking- great weather forecasted!!
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

I work for a bank, so I'm off.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Regular work day for me. DH doesn't have it off either.

Don't you guys know that Columbus day is observed as the day after Thanksgiving? Here in Columbus, I have class. Government offices are closed, though.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Originally posted by MKSquared
    Don't you guys know that Columbus day is observed as the day after Thanksgiving?
    Oh, I thought the day after Thanksgiving was a combination of President's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Veteran's Day and all the other holidays I don't get off!

Are you serious? I live in FLORIDA. Where slavery is still practiced much to the delight of the employers.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Well, the University of California doesn't celebrate Columbus Day....I have school tomorrow. I think that most of the public elementary/middle/high schools around here are open as well (but I could be wrong).

Nope - the university is open, so I'm working. Besides, I have an audit on Tuesday so I reeeeaaaalllyyy need to get some work done tomorrow!

The university where I work (and where Rebecca goes to school) is closed.

(But, I'm still on Family Leave -- until Oct. 22 -- so I'm off for the next week and a half, anyway. )

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

We do! We do! I've got the day off, and so does DH (he's a school teacher).

University of New Mexico is open, so I am going to school and teaching. However Thursday and Friday there are no classes for "Fall Break." I'm not exactly sure why Fall Break falls where it does, but I'll gladly take a four day weekend.

i am working. i don't know anyone who is off.

Are you serious? I live in FLORIDA. Where slavery is still practiced much to the delight of the employers.
    Same here, in VA. Our schools will be operating on a normal schedule, so I guess I will be working.

Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Our schools are open tomorrow, so I am working, but Iam off the 23 and 24 for fall break. WHOOHOO.

Vicky

My firm is closed, but I will still be working. Gotta make my hours this year. I think I am going to work from home, though, and probably will sleep in.

Jen

I'm off!!!

Three day last weekend because of Yom Kippur. Three day weekend this weekend because of Columbus Day! I love the NYC public school calendar (even though I work for a private, we follow their calendar pretty closely!)

I could get used to a 4 day work week...

Working tomorrow, but I do get a four day weekend for Thanksgiving.

the only good thing about being a corporate peon in a bank is these three day weekends...plus, on friday, i got to leave early since monday is a holiday

Originally posted by hannah_phi
    University of New Mexico is open, so I am going to school and teaching. However Thursday and Friday there are no classes for "Fall Break." I'm not exactly sure why Fall Break falls where it does, but I'll gladly take a four day weekend.
    Fall break? You get a fall break? I'm transferring. We get Thanksgiving then right on through to Christmas.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I'm off but have the whole week off for Fall Break. Couldn't have come at a better time! Arizona pretty much gave Columbus Day up so that we could be politically correct (rare for AZ) and have Martin Luther King, JR. Day off in January. The government offices and banks are closed today because they follow the federal government.

Now what time should I take that first and all important nap today. . . .

Lisa

Nope. I'm at work, but obviously not doing much working if I'm here!

Originally posted by badunnin
    Fall break? You get a fall break? I'm transferring.
    We got a whole week for fall break - you wanna move out here?
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Originally posted by KristinK
    Nope. I'm at work, but obviously not doing much working if I'm here!

We got a whole week for fall break - you wanna move out here?
    Hmmmm. Of course, as a future teacher, I know that if you lose it someplace, you are making up for it elsewhere in the school year. A 15 week college semester is 15 weeks in the classroom, no matter how you break it up. *sigh*
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."