Community Message Boards

Thread: What To Do With Hickory Nuts

What To Do With Hickory Nuts

We just moved into our house in the woods a year ago, and I see that we're surrounded by shaggy bark hickory trees. And we're also surrounded by hickory nuts, all over the yard. When they fall, they sound like little mortar hits on the hard ground. I'm tempted to ask DH to wear a helmet when he cuts the grass!

Anyway, is there anything edible we can do with the hickory nuts? Are they OK to eat raw, or should you roast them first? If so, does anyone have the specifics, or better yet, has tried it themselves?

My car is completely dented from falling hickory nuts. It's amazing the force with which they fall. I remember a neighbor explaining that not all hickory trees' nuts are edible, and some produce edible nuts only every other year. I'll do a little investigating.

Buckeyes, on the other hand, are poisonous: Buckeyes are killer nuts.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Great. From what I'm reading, my fmaily has wasted years' and years' worth of great hickory nut harvests. Seems as though shagbark hickories produce some great nuts year after year, as long as you get to them before they turn black, the worms get to them, or the squirrels have a feast.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Thanks, MK. Sorry to hear about your poor car!

I'll have to see what is recommended for preparation of the nuts. Even if I don't make a "harvest" of them, it would be neat to pick one up and eat it once in a while.

I'm going to have to ask DH to face the mower exit port AWAY from the house, or we'll be buying new windows and repairing dents in the siding!