Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: No-bean chili recipe

ISO: No-bean chili recipe

I recently discovered that I have not been the only one picking around the beans at our annual neighborhood Pumpkin Carving and Chili Supper, so this year I volunteered to make a pot of no-bean chili. DH and I aren't huge chili fans, and once a year is about enough, so I never make chili myself (and so don't have a tried and true recipe). If anyone has a good chili recipe that doesn't call for beans, I would love to have it!

TIA
    Claire

Hi Claire!

While I personally like beans in my chili, being from the Southeast originally, since moving to Texas I have been informed that real chili doesn't have beans, no sir-ee, if it's got beans it ain't chili at all, it's soup.

Here is a recipe from the Terlingua Chili Cook-off, which was supposedly the first chili cook-off in the nation (37 years ago). I haven't tried it, but it looks as authentic as any I have seen, and best of all there are NO BEANS!

ORIGINAL TEXAS-STYLE CHILI
    from A Bowl of Red by Frank X. Tolbert

3 lbs. lean beef, preferably stewing meat
    2 oz. beef suet (or substitute vegetable oil)
    3-6 Ancho chile pods, boiled 5 minutes, cooled, stemmed, seeded and chopped, cooking water reserved. (or 3-6 Tbsp. chili powder or ground chile)
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 Tbsp. crushed cumin seed
    1 Tbsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
    1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
    2-4 minced garlic cloves, to taste
    2-4 extra Ancho chile pods
    2 Tbsp. Masa Harina or cornmeal

Cook suet until fat is rendered. Remove suet. Sear meat in fat in 2 or 3 batches. (Use oil for low cholesterol, less grease.) Place meat in large pot with pepper pods and as much of the pepper liquid as you think you'll need to keep the meat from burning. About two inches of water rising above the meat is usually right. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Add rest of ingredients except Masa and extra Anchos. Simmer 45 minutes more, covered. Stir only occasionally. Skim off grease. Taste and adjust seasonings. If not hot enough to suit you, add extra Ancho pods which have been stemmed and seeded, but not chopped. Add Masa Harina to thicken liquid. Simmer for another 30 minutes until the meat is tender.

Variation: Wick Fowler made his prize-winning chili basically the same way, but he did not use suet and added 15 oz. of tomato sauce. He never served the chili on the day of its conception, but kept it in the refrigerator overnight and skimmed off the grease the next day, then added Masa Harina upon heating the chili if it was too thin.
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    Here's one I picked up earlier this year at the Austin Hot Sauce Festival.

I used ground turkey but the original recipe used ground beef. It calls for Habanero sauce but any hot sauce would work. Watch out - that Habanero was not kidding around!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Austin Hot Sauce Festival Chili

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:20
    Categories : Main dish Soup / Chili
    Tried it - great!

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 pounds low fat ground turkey
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 whole large onion -- chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    5 tablespoons chili powder
    4 teaspoons unbleached flour
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    16 ounces tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons habanero chile sauce -- 3 tbsp for hot, 4 for darn hot
    2 cups water
    1 dash salt -- to taste
    1 1/2 cups low fat mozzarella cheese -- shredded

In large skillet, cook ground turkey, garlic, and onion in oil. Drain off grease.

Combine chili powder, flour, and cumin in bowl. Sprinkle over meat in skillet. Stir lightly to distribute.

Add tomato sauce to water and pour over meat, stirring as you add.

Add hot sauce and salt.

Simmer over low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed

Spoon into bowls, top with 1/4 cup cheese per serving.

Description:
    "watch out - it's hot!"
    Cuisine:
    "Texas"
    Source:
    "Hot Paradise Chili Man at Austin Hot Sauce Festival 2003"
    Yield:
    "1 1/2 quarts"
    Start to Finish Time:
    "2:20"
    T(simmer):
    "2:00"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 295 Calories; 4g Fat (24.3% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 792mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for the recipes, Rebecca and LonghornGal. I will give one of those a try. I knew the Texans could come through with a no-bean chili recipe

Claire

I've enjoyed this recipe, which freezes well, for many years. It was adapted from a winner at the 1988 World's Championship Chili Cookoff and appeared in Family Circle.

Kenton and Linda Stafford's 7/8 Chili

Makes 8 servings.

3 pounds top sirloin, cut into 1/4 inch cubes (Putting meat in freezer until it is really cold, trying to freeze helps. A little bigger is OK, too.)
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon seasoning salt (I leave out)
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 cans (13 3/4 ounces each) chicken broth (I use lower sodium and lower fat)
    3/4 cap beef broth (same)
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce (low sodium)
    1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
    3 to 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    3/4 cup [!] chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon liquid red-pepper seasoning(optional)
    1/4 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano, crumbled
    1/4 teaspoon ground hot red pepper

1. Sprinkle beef cubes with garlic powder and seasoning salt. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in large saucepan or Dutch Oven. Add meat in batches and brown, adding more oil as needed. Remove meat as it browns. Drain off excess fat.

2. Return the meat to the saucepan. Add 1 can of the chicken broth, the beef broth, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, and the red-pepper seasoning and coriander, if using. Simmer uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring in the remaining chicken broth as the mixture thickens.

3. Stir in oregano, ground hot red pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon cumin. Simmer chili for 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally. Taste to see if you want to add a bit of salt -- depends on your taste.