Community Message Boards

Thread: Ground Turkey VS. Ground Beef???

Question Ground Turkey VS. Ground Beef???

I was wondering if any one could explain what is the difference between ground beef and ground turkey? I know one is a bird and one is a cow, but nutrition wise?? I made a chili recipe out of the "Complete Cooking Light Cookbook", it called for ground sirloin but I substituted ground turkey. It was great and my husband didn't know the difference.
    This is my first time using ground turkey and I was looking for any info.

well, ground turkey is definitely much much lower in fat, I can tell you that much

Doesn't the ground turkey have to specifically be the breast meat before it's lower in fat than the sirloin? I thought I heard something to that effect.

I think I have read the same thing also, but I was not sure because I can't remember where I read that. Do you think it is better for you? I normally don't eat red meat (health reasons) but I found this to be a nice substitute.

Originally posted by shoyski:
    Doesn't the ground turkey have to specifically be the breast meat before it's lower in fat than the sirloin? I thought I heard something to that effect.

Here. Play with this a while.

This is the link to USDA Nutrient Database for Standard reference.
    www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

When the market offers "ground turkey", it is often a combination of white & dark meat ...plus skin. This can be as high or higher in faat than "ground beef".
    For truly low fat, ask for ground breast meat only . Better yet- buy the breast & ask teh butcher to grind the meat - without any skin. Can be costly, but you know for sure what's in it.

In Texas, they sell a type of beef called Longhorn Ground Beef (from Springerhill Ranch). It is 98% FAT-FREE!!! They don't fatten their cattle up with lots of grain, and the nutrition label shows that a 3-oz. cooked serving has 120 calories and 2 grams of fat. I think it tastes great! Laura's Lean Ground Beef is 96% fat-free, and there are others. It's amazing how low in fat some beef cuts can be.

Red face

I also heard that if you buy a really low-fat ground beef it's better for you than the turkey. Or at least no worst.

i have been using ground turkey for the last 5 to 7 years now. You can use for a great meatloaf or burgers. For some it has a gamey taste. Just becareful when u cook it cooks faster and if u have cats they will go wild when u make speghti (at least all 3 of mine do) good luck with it if you need any great recipes matt

I buy ground beef thats 93% fat free. I think that's the same fat content as ground turkey. My husband finds ground turkey lacking flavor and I've tried slipping it into chili and meatloaf but he can always tell the difference. He says its too bland.