Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO-recipe for Indian rice pilaf with caraway seeds

ISO-recipe for Indian rice pilaf with caraway seeds

I don't know the name for this dish so I'll try to describe it. Our Indian restaurant always serves it along with the other courses & it is so delicious and delicate. It is a very light and almost dry rice pilaf with a little saffron rice mixed in with the white. There are also caraway seeds and a few fresh peas mixed in too. The rice is different in that it is not gummy or moist. Very fluffy. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and also have a recipe? I'd appreciate any input. TIA

Indian rice recipe

Hi!

The Indian rice recipe served in the restaurants is REALLY easy to make. Trust me!

The seeds in there are not caraway seeds, but cumin seeds.

Here is a quick version on how to make it.

1 cup basmati rice
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 inch stick of cinnamon
    3 cloves
    3 cardamom pods
    1/2 cup frozen peas

The cinnamon, cloves and cardamom pods will add extra flavor to the rice. If you want, you can omit it, but it does add a nice touch.

In a pot, melt a bit of butter or heat up some oil. When it is hot, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Saute until seeds turn brown and the cinnamon stick has slightly opened. Add the one cup of rice and saute gently until the rice bits turn a slight brown.

Add 1 3/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Let cook for 15-20 min. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the frozen peas right on top of the rice.

When ready to serve, turn off heat and fluff rice with fork and serve! Remove cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, and cloves as they are not meant to be eaten

I hope this helped!

Savita

one more thing about the rice

oops forgot to add the part about the saffron rice

soak 1/2 tsp saffron in 2-3 tbls hot milk

do this before you start cooking the rice

After the rice has finished cooking, dribble the hot milk saffron over the top of the rice. Then fluff with the fork. You will end up with bits of yummy saffron rice intermixed with the flavored rice

Delicious!

Please let me know if you any questions!

Savita