Community Message Boards

Thread: Reheating mashed potatoes

Reheating mashed potatoes

How do you reheat mashed potatoes?
    I like to make them in the morning when I have more time.
    I've tried reheating in a double boiler (over simmering water), , and microwaving, but they just don't taste as good as when first made.
    Any good tips ?
    Thanks
    Ginny

I agree that most mashed potatoes need to be served right away...but one exception I've found is the Parmesean Smashed Potatoes, either a CL or BB recipe. I don't have it with me, a recipe search probably will find it, but I do remember that you heat up fat free 1/2&1/2 with a couple of T of butter and mix that into the cooked red potatoes with some lite sour cream. They are excellent and are truly just as good reheated. That doesn't really answer your question...but is another option!

Well, I make mashed potatoes with olive oil rather than the milk/butter/cheese that most people here seem to use. So my method may not work for you. I wrap the mashed potatoes in foil and stick them in a 350F oven until they've heated up -- and if I want a "crust," I open the foil packet toward the end and let the exterior crisp up.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I am going to try Sara Moulton's tip: cook and rice the potatoes earlier, then put them in a ziploc bag and refrigerate. When you're ready to serve, reheat in the microwave and finish with your preferred liquid and fat.
    Kim

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
    -Pat Conroy

sour cream or yogurt

I always make extra mashed potatoes because leftover's are always handy and popular around my house...and have found a couple of tricks...some of which where mentioned already. I always use alittle fat free half and half...along with about a tablespoon of either fat free sour cream or plain yogurt. When reheating, add a little butter, and fluff it up with a fork periodically during the heating process. The fluffing is what really seems to add the right amount of air to replicate the just mashed texture.