Community Message Boards

Thread: Dry Pancake Mix Help

Dry Pancake Mix Help

I've been eager to try this recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes for a long time now...I'm finally going to make it either tomorrow night or thursday night (LOVE breakfast for dinner! I think I'll try to make them in cute Halloween shapes too...I'm such a geek!) Anyway, you can see that they call for 2 cups of your favorite dry pancake mix. Well, I don't have a favorite dry pancake mix and I'd like a homemade one. Does anyone have a recipe for just the dry ingredients? Thanks!

Pumpkin Pancakes

2 cups of your favorite dry pancake mix (I use my homemade dry ingredients, then follow the rest of this recipe for the moist ingredients)
    1 egg
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 cup canned or fresh cooked pumpkin
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl Pour small amounts of the batter onto a hot lightly greased griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat.
    When bubbles form on the pancakes and the edges begin to brown, flip the pancakes.
    Serve with butter, maple syrup or a little bit of honey.

A HUGE hit with kids and very nutritious.
    Makes about 20 4" cakes.

Here's the one from King Arthur, along with links to some recipes using it:

A Quick Mix
    The Basic Mix And What To Do With It

"Quick and easy" -- aren't those just the most typical buzzwords of the day? "Quick Mix," making a basic dry mix that's the base for a variety of baked goods, is a concept that's been around for a long time. We've done articles on it in the past, but have recently seen renewed interest so thought it was time to revisit the subject. Quick Mix is great to bring along in the RV or camper, on the sailboat, or to your vacation home. It's an easy way to make scones, muffins, biscuits or pancakes in just a few minutes. "Quick and easy" there are those words again! -- S.G.

9 cups (2 1/2 pounds) unbleached all-purpose flour*
    5 tablespoons (2 3/8 ounces) double-acting baking powder**
    5 teaspoons (1 ounce) salt (extra-fine, if you have it)
    1 1/2 cups (7 3/4 ounces) Baker's Special Dry Milk, non-fat dry milk, or dried buttermilk powder (we like to use 3/4 cup each dry milk and buttermilk powder)
    1/3 cup (2 1/2 ounces) sugar
    1 1/2 cups (9 1/2 ounces) vegetable shortening (use butter-flavored if you like)

*Substitute 100% white whole wheat flour for up to half of the unbleached all-purpose flour, if you wish. However, this substitution will cut into the mix's storage time. Whole wheat flour deteriorates quickly when stored at room temperature, especially when it's warm out. So a mix made partly with whole wheat will only keep for a week or two at room temperature, though it'll last longer when stored in the freezer.

**Most baking powder you can buy in the store is double-acting; you'd have to really work to find a single-acting baking powder, so don't stress over making sure the baking powder you pluck off the supermarket shelf is the "right" one.

Measure all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl, whisking them together to blend. Cut in the shortening till well-blended, using a pastry fork or blender, your fingers, or a mixer. Note: An easy way to do this is to put about 1/3 of the flour mixture, and all of the shortening, into the work bowl of a food processor, and pulse to blend; it'll take just a few seconds. Then stir in the rest of the flour. Or place about 1/3 of the flour mixture, and all of the shortening, into a mixing bowl, and mix at low speed, adding the remaining flour mixture when the flour and shortening have formed very fine crumbs. Store the mix in plastic bags or an airtight container for up to 1 month (longer in the freezer). Yield: 14 cups mix.

Notes

When measuring the mix for a recipe, be sure to fluff it up first. It'll compact as it sits, and therefore it's easy to use too much. Each cup of mix should weigh 4 1/2 ounces. Luckily the following recipes are very forgiving; if the dough ends up feeling dry, just add a bit extra water or milk.

Pancakes - http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibi...5306215987552?

Muffins -
    http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibi...7235515987552?

Scones -
    http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibi...2802415987552?
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Here is the recipe I use whenever I make those Pumpkin Pancakes:

Pancakes

1 1/2 cups flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt

The quantity falls slightly short of the 2 cups stated in the pumpkin pancake recipe, but I always make them with the above amounts of dry ingredients and they come out just fine.

Peggy

Thanks so much you guys! I appreciate it. Can't wait to try those pancakes...I'm getting pumpkin cravings as it gets closer to Halloween!!

"Instant" Pancake Mix
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary
    Yield: 3 batches of pancakes
    6 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (check expiration date first)
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    2 tablespoons sugar

Combine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix.
    Use the mix within 3 months.

"INSTANT" PANCAKES:
    2 eggs, separated
    2 cups buttermilk
    4 tablespoons melted butter
    2 cups "Instant" Pancake Mix, recipe above
    1 stick butter, for greasing the pan
    2 cups fresh fruit such as blueberries, if desired

Heat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees F. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
    Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.

Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don't try to work all the lumps out.

Check to see that the griddle is hot by placing a few drops of water onto to the griddle. The griddle is ready if the water dances across the surface.

Lightly butter the griddle. Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)

Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.

Serve immediately or remove to a towel-lined baking sheet and cover with a towel. Hold in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.

Yield: 12 pancakes
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833