Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I double a pizza dough recipe?

Can I double a pizza dough recipe?

DD is having her birthday sleepover and wants me to make pizzas for 10 girls.

I usually make my pizza dough in the bread machine, but I'd like to double the recipe and get 4 pizzas out of one making of dough to save time. I can use my KA instead to make that much dough.

Are bread/pizza dough recipes ok to double? Bread is such a science that I wanted to ask.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Cool

I have no idea if there is some rule on the subject, however, I will chime in and say I've halved and doubled pizza doughs with no ill effects. If pizza dough making is a science, I consider it an inexact science (consider that you virtually never put in the exact quantities of flour...) I say, go for it!

PS I do not own a bread machine, so I'm talking about KA or by-hand methods.

I have doubled pizza dough with no problems - I've never doubled it in the bread machine, and I don't know that a double recipe would fit in my bread machine, but its pretty easy to do in the mixer or by hand.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I double bread recipes all the time. The size of you mixer bowl and the rising are the usual limitations.

Thank you. I have the 6-qt KA so I know it'll fit!! A double recipe would never fit in my bread machine.

Will it take longer to rise?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.