Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Recipes for chemo patient

ISO: Recipes for chemo patient

I did a search but didn't come up with too much, jsut one thread from earlier this year. I am looking for some recipes that are easy to make (meaning they don't involve hours of prep/cook time) without a lot of hard to find ingredients. They can't be spicy, oily, greasy, or contain a lot of fiber. I'm looking for something comforting and easy on the stomach, and also relatively healthy, but not necessarily "cooking light". He needs to keep weight on him, but still shouldn't be overloading his system with saturated fats and cholesterol. So far he's been eating scrambled eggs, white toast, and turkey tetrazzini. I'd appreciate any ideas you can give me. Thanks!

Kari

baked ziti would be great. or a chicken/pasta/peanut sauce dish. here are two favorites of mine...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Ziti

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound dry ziti pasta
    1 onion -- chopped
    1 pound lean ground beef
    2 jars spaghetti sauce -- (26 ounce)
    6 ounces Provolone cheese -- sliced
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    6 ounces mozzarella cheese -- shredded
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.

2 In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.

3 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

4 Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 463 Calories; 35g Fat (67.9% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 96mg Cholesterol; 669mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : my notes: great!

JeAnne: actually I pulled that from allrecipes.com and I tried it last night for the first time! It's wonderful!!! Probably the best baked ziti I have ever had.
    1)I used ff sour cream, part skim mozzarella, regular provolone
    2)I used lindrusso's magnificent marinara (it is mag!)
    3)I added 10oz frozen chopped spinach to the sauce addition step

Chicken and Noodles with Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

5 ounces uncooked Japanese curly noodles
    1/2 cup fat-free less sodium chicken broth
    1/3 cup hoisin sauce
    1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 teaspoons dark sesame oil -- divided
    1 pound chicken breast tenders
    1 1/2 cups red bell pepper strips
    1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    1/2 cup chopped green onions -- divided

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.

Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (broth through crushed red peper) in a bowl; stir whell with a whisk.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken; saute 4 minutes. Add bell pepper; saute 3 minutes. Remove from heat. combine chicken mixture and noodles in a large bowl.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook 15 seconds. Stir in broth mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the broth mixture and 1/4 cup green onions to noodle mixxture; toss well. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup green onions.

Source:
    "Cooking Light, May 2002, page 174"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
    353 calories (28% fat), 10.9g fat, 28.5g protein, 2.3g fiber, 663mg sodium, 21mg calcium

Val, thank you so much! My mom loves baked ziti so she will love it when I send her this recipe. That is perfect for them, I can't believe I never thought about that type of dish. I have seen so many rave reviews for that particular recipe so I know it will be a winner with them. The peanut/chicken/noodle dish will be good too, as long as she leaves out the red pepper so it isn't spicy at all. These are both great ideas and I really appreciate your help!!

Keep the ideas coming please!

Kari

Here is one of my favorite CL recipes that might be good, if Jack didn't think it was "weird" like my DH does. If this one is too weird, how about the chicken breasts with feta sauce. I will post that one here as well. and speaking of chicken, how about the chicken in blueberry sauce (it is really easy and can be done with frozen blueberries).

Greek Chicken With Capers and Raisins in Feta Sauce

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. Jul/Aug 1999. Page: 126.
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Poultry

4 skinned, boned chicken breast halves (4
    ounces, each)
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup thinly sliced onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/3 cup golden raisins
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons capers
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese
    4 thin lemon slices

Directions.
    Serve with orzo tossed with oregano.

1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Combine flour and oregano in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in flour mixture.

2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add onion and garlic to pan; saute 2 minutes. Stir in broth, raisins, and lemon juice; cook 3 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return chicken to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add capers and cheese to pan, stirring with a whisk; top each chicken breast with 1/4 cup sauce and 1 lemon slice. Yield: 4 servings.

NOTES : my notes: Can I just say how yummy this is? I would never have considered trying it without the great reviews. It sounds kind of strange and not appetizing. WRONG. It is one of the best CL chicken recipes I have tried.I have found that in many recipes that call for capers, the capers somehow get lost among the ingredients. Not here, though. Their flavor shines through and works incredibly well with the raisins. And the feta brings the whole dish together, making a flavorful sauce that drenches the onion, garlic, and chicken mixture. I didn't think 1/4 cup would be nearly enough feta, but it was plenty! I followed the recipe except for the following changes: I used regular (not golden) raisins, I only used 1 cup of broth (plenty), and I used pre flattened chicken cutlets, so they cooked quicker.

Chicken Breasts with Feta Cheese Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Dish Main Dishes
    Poultry

Cooking spray
    6 skinned chicken breast halves -- (6-ounce)
    1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
    4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    1 can evaporated fat-free milk -- (12-ounce)
    1 tablespoon fresh or freeze-dried chives
    3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken, and cook 9 minutes on each side until done; keep warm.

2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly; stir in chives. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 3 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Add cheese; stir until cheese melts. Spoon over chicken.

Yield: 6 servings (Serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 1/4 cup sauce.)

Kari- the Chicken Noodle Bake from the "Make Ahead" Supplement in 2001 would be great. If you don't have that, I'll be happy to post it for you. It's kind of like a mild, creamy chicken lasagna dish.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Kari,

My wife is a breast cancer survivor and I do all the cooking in our household, so your thread hit a personal note for me. I did a search on google and came up with this. Hope it helps.

Cheerful cookbook encourages cancer patients to enjoy eating again
    Index
    RISE 'N SHINE MUFFINS WITH WITH CREAMY ORANGE GLAZE
    FETTUCCINE WITH ASPARAGUS AND MUSHROOMS

FRESH SPINACH AND NEW POTATO FRITTATA
    COUNTRY FRUIT COBBLER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By JOANNA McQUILLAN WEEKS, Standard-Times staff writer

As though coping with a cancer diagnosis isn't difficult enough, dealing with the side effects of treatment heap on even more challenges.
    Among those challenges is getting adequate nutrition when fatigue, mouth sores, nausea, constipation or diarrhea crop up while you're undergoing chemotherapy or radiation.
    Now there's help in the form of "Betty Crocker's Living with Cancer Cookbook" by Kris Ghosh, M.D., Linda Carson, M.D., and Elyse Cohen, M.S., L.N. Published by Hungry Minds Inc., the 255-page hardcover costs $24.95, and a portion of the profits will be donated to cancer research.
    As the authors state in the book's foreword, "Good eating and good nutrition are the cornerstones for maximizing the quality of life during and after cancer."
    Dr. Ghosh is a gynecologic oncologist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and is affiliated with Harvard Medical School, while Dr. Carson is a gynecologic oncologist at the University of Minnesota Medical Center. Ms. Cohen is a nutritionist for the Betty Crocker Kitchens and is affiliated with Bell Institute of Health and Nutrition at General Mills.
    The beautifully and cheerfully illustrated book would be a valuable resource for the cancer patient or caregiver alike, rich in advice and encouragement.
    "I was impressed by how user-friendly it is," said Bethany Klos, a registered dietitian who counsels cancer patients at St. Luke's Hospital in New Bedford and the Oncology Center in Dartmouth.
    One such detail is the color-coded flags on each recipe to guide readers to the appropriate choices for their symptom. For example, Hot Fruit Compote is recommended for people suffering from constipation, while Milk & Rice "Soup" is good for those troubled by diarrhea.
    Sprinkled throughout the book are comments and advice from cancer survivors, as well as some of their personal recipes.
    For example, Anne R. comments, "During my good week when I'm on chemo, I cook make-ahead foods and freeze them so that on the days when I have less energy and can't cook, I can just put something in the oven and still have a great meal for my family. It's important to use your energy wisely when you have it because it comes and goes during treatment."
    Making meals ahead is among the tactics Ms. Klos, a Foxboro resident, said she recommends to her patients.
    Also found throughout the cookbook are notes headed "Food for thought" and "A note from Dr. Ghosh" with valuable insights.
    In the opening chapter, "Coping with Side Effects," a Q&A format is used to explore topics such as "Why does food have a metallic taste?" and "Why is my mouth always dry?" with some remedies to use and a companion recipe.
    The book has a cheerful, colorful design that makes it appealing, too.
    "The photos are inspiring -- they make me want to eat," said Ms. Klos, who enjoys photography herself. The prepared dishes are presented in attractive, calm settings, which she noted is one way to help make the experience of eating more pleasant.
    Some recipes are recommended because their seasoning helps to mask the metallic taste or other off-flavors that can come with chemotherapy.
    Ms. Klos recalled one patient who had lost much of his sense of taste. "He could taste a pickle, but he couldn't taste any other flavor, so he'd always have a pickle in his mouth."
    Eating favorite foods, even at "non-traditional" times, is one way to tempt a flagging appetite, the cookbook's authors advise. This is a time to give yourself permission to set rigid notions of diet aside, agreed Ms. Klos. An eating plan for "risk prevention is very different from cancer treatment diets."
    The authors have provided helpful menus of recipes to use during treatment as well as two-day eating plans to cope with specific problems. Some pages give pointers on dealing with flavor changes, advice on nutritious snacks, or techniques for reducing nausea, such as sniffing a lemon.
    It's important to note that the recipes aren't strictly meant for the patient. One chapter is titled "Family-Pleasing Main Dishes." Among the many recipes in the book that would appeal to anyone are Country Eggs in Tortilla Cups, Cheese Grits, Blueberry Brunch Cake, Caramelized Pork Slices, Bulgur Pilaf, Old-Fashioned Beef Pot Roast, and Rosalie's Orange Butter Cookies.
    One shortcoming is that the book seems to overlook male cancer patients. None of the comments or recipes in the book are shared by men.
    "I've learned you assume nothing," Ms. Klos said. "You always ask a couple, 'Well, who cooks?' and sometimes it's the husband. A lot of men cook."
    Ms. Klos said she would be adding the book to the patient lending library at the Oncology Center.
    She also gives her patients materials such as a booklet, "Eating Hints for Cancer Patients" from the National Cancer Institute as well as one-page handouts ("short and sweet") issued by the American Dietetic Association.
    "The patient and their family are trying really hard to listen, but they can't remember everything when they get home," so having written materials to refer to is important, Ms. Klos said.
    She said helpful advice can be found, too, on the American Cancer Society's Web site, www.cancer.org, as well as www.OncoLink.com
    Here are some recipes to try from "Betty Crocker's Living with Cancer Cookbook."

When a friend of mine was going through chemo after breast cancer surgery I bought her the cookbook called "The Betty Crocker Living With Cancer Cookbook." She really liked it because each recipe comes with a list of which side effects it is helpful in fighting. There are also some great notes in there for making food more appealing, and for getting the most nutrition out of what little they can sometimes eat. My friend had a problem with everything tasting like metal and the book had recipes that she could eat without feeling like she was munching on aluminum foil. I don't know if a cookbook is something you are looking for, but my friend found it really helpful.

Having had 6 months of chemotherapy, and suffering terribly with mouth sores, I would suggest the "white diet". These are the foods you would avoid if you wanted to LOSE weight! Things that felt good to my mouth and stomach were: vanilla ice cream milkshakes, Slimfast or other meal replacement drink, soft white bread (I craved Wonder Bread) with crusts removed and spread with creamy peanut butter, mashed potatoes with butter, tapioca pudding, vanilla pudding.

Think of childhood comfort foods. Chicken noodle soup was good. Scrambled eggs. Milk. Squash. Baked chicken and pork (soft foods).

I absolutely could not tolerate any spices or anything acidic. Tomatoes are very acidic and not mouth-friendly. Nothing with vinegar. Salads were out because of the dressing as well as the sharp edges of the greens!

I didn't want "fancy" food -- just something to fill the tummy and feel good in my mouth.

Best wishes to all. Jan

Two great websites to check out:
    www.cancerrd.com
    www.aicr.org
    Best of Luck.

One idea I had was chicken noodle soup or chicken and dumplings. Another idea might be scalloped potatoes with ham in them. Those are all comfort type foods. Of course, if ham is too salty, it could be left out.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Wow, you've all been so helpful! Thank you so much! I am getting lots of ideas to send my mom now.

Val, I can't see Jack eating raisins in his dinner, probably the reason Don wouldn't eat it huh? I don't think he's ever tried feta cheese, and not sure how many "new" foods he'll be wanting to eat. I will keep the chicken/feta sauce recipe in mind, though.

SueK, that Chicken Noodle Bake sounds really good. Please post the recipe if you have a chance. I think I'd like to make that one for myself as well as send the recipe to my mom.

Thank you everyone else for all the web sites and info you've shared! I appreciate hearing your own stories about going through chemo as it will help us know what to possibly expect during the coming months.

Kari

Hi Kari, how is everything going?

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. DH is beginning to get tired and just a tad nauseous, so we may be needing these suggestions very soon. It will be a big adjustment for me to change the way I cook! I like these kinds of meals once in a while, but I have been cutting down on all the white carbs, etc. The plus in all this is that the kids are bound to love these blander, comfort-food type meals! I just hope I can keep myself from gaining any weight while DH tries not to lose weight!

Take care,
    Alysha

Kari- here is the recipe:

Chicken Noodle Bake
    Using a combination of cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream and mayo in our Chicken Noodle Bake creates a better flavor and texture than using only one of them.

Source: Make it Ahead (CL Supplement from Fall 2000)

1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup (4 oz) 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/2 cup fat-free mayo
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (I did not use this)
    1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
    2 TBS butter or stick margarine
    1/3 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup fat-free milk (I used 2%)
    1 1/3 cups fat-free chicken broth
    1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    Dash of garlic powder
    6 cooked lasagna noodles (I used the no-cook ones)
    Cooking spray
    3 cups diced cooked chicken breast
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 tsp paprika

1. Combin first 4 ingr. in a medium bowl, beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended. Stir in the onion, bell pepper and 1/4 cup parsley; set aside.

2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in poultry seasoning, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Remove from heat; set aside.

3. Arrange 3 noodles in bottom of 13 x 9 baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 of cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 of chicken, and 1/2 of sauce. Repeat layers, ending with sauce. Cover with heavy duty foil; seal and freeze.

4. To serve: thaw completely in fridge. Let stand 30 minutes at room temp.

5. Preheat over to 375 degrees.

6. Combine breadcrumbs, 2 TBS parsley and paprika, sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
    Yield: 8 servings
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

How about baked macaroni and cheese? This one from CL is so good - it's been reviewed a ton on the BB if you don't want to just take my word for it!

Creamy Four-Cheese Macaroni

INGREDIENTS:
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2-2/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina or Swiss cheese
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded extra-sharp
    cheddar cheese
    3 ounces light processed cheese (such as Velveeta Light)
    6 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup crushed onion melba toasts (about 12 pieces)
    1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring constantly. Add cheeses; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni and salt.

Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Combine crushed toasts and butter in a small bowl; stir until well-blended. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    calories: 350 carbohydrates: 42.4 g cholesterol: 32 fat: 11.2 g sodium: 497 mg protein: 18 g calcium: 306 mg iron: 1.9 mg fiber: 2.1 g

YIELD:
    Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup).

Or maybe shepherd's pie? I found this one on epicurious, where many of the reviewers said they could substituted beef without a problem. I don't think it's as complicated as it looks.

SHEPHERD'S PIE
    Active time: 1 hr Start to finish: 2 3/4 hr
    For lamb and vegetable filling
    10 oz pearl onions
    4 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
    2 lb boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 cup beef broth
    1 cup water
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    5 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/3-inch-thick slices
    2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

For mashed potato topping
    2 lb russet (baking) potatoes
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup milk
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Special equipment: a wide 3-quart heavy flameproof casserole (about 2 inches deep; not glass); a potato ricer or a food mill fitted with medium disk

Prepare filling:
    Blanch onions in a 2- to 3-quart pot of boiling salted water 1 minute, then transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Drain onions and peel, trimming root ends with a paring knife. Wash leek slices in a bowl of water, agitating them, then lift out and drain in a medium-mesh sieve.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Pat lamb dry and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Put lamb and 3 tablespoons flour in a sealable plastic bag, then seal bag and shake to coat lamb.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in casserole dish over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then brown half of lamb, turning, about 6 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon garlic and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Transfer browned lamb and garlic to a plate with a slotted spoon and repeat with remaining lamb and tablespoon garlic (do not add more butter).

Add wine to casserole dish and deglaze by boiling over high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, 1 minute, then stir in tomato paste and boil, stirring, until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add broth, water, thyme, browned lamb with any juices that have accumulated on plate, onions, leeks, carrots, turnips, remaining teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer over moderately high heat, then remove from heat.

Cover dish with lid or foil and braise lamb and vegetables in middle of oven, stirring once or twice, until lamb is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.

Make topping while filling cooks:
    Peel and quarter potatoes. Cover potatoes with salted cold water by 1 inch in a 4-quart heavy pot, then simmer, uncovered, until very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain in a colander.

Bring cream, milk, and butter to a simmer in same pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until butter is melted, then remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper. Force hot potatoes through ricer into hot cream mixture and stir gently to combine. Keep warm, covered.

Assemble and broil pie:
    Preheat broiler.

Make a beurre mani by stirring together remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and remaining 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl to form a paste. Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid from casserole dish into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk in beurre mani, then simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Gently stir sauce into lamb and vegetables.

Spoon potatoes over lamb and vegetables and spread evenly with a fork, making a pattern with tines. Broil about 3 inches from heat until top is golden, about 3 minutes.

Cooks' note:
    Lamb filling (without topping) can be made 1 day ahead and cooled, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Bring to a simmer over low heat before topping with warm potatoes and broiling.

Makes 6 servings.

Gourmet
    December 2002
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Originally posted by lindrusso
    Hi Kari, how is everything going?

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this thread, we were away for the weekend.

Alysha, I debated about what to tell you, because I don't want to worry you more about your DH, but I suppose I'll just say the truth. Jack's not handling the chemo very well. He was fine the first month, just a little tired, but now the other side effects have set in pretty badly. He's got mouth sores, and itchy rash on his face, stomach pains, and bad diarrhea. He's been to the ER twice this weekend for dehydration and has lost almost 10 pounds this week. My mother is worried because he doesn't really want to eat much. You should keep in mind that Jack is also 60 and has fibromyalgia, so he didn't start out as healthy as your DH. Luckily all these side effects are treatable, it's just a matter of getting through them. I think about you and your DH a lot and am praying for his health.

SueK, thank you for the Chicken Noodle Bake recipe! I sent it to my mother and she thought it looked very good.

Rebecca, both those recipes look great! I appreciate you taking the time to post them for me. It's funny you suggested the mac and cheese because Jack has really been in the mood for that recently when he feels like eating, so I think he will appreciate this one a lot.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Kari

How about lasagna? CL has a really good lasagna recipe that I made for a friend of mine who was having chemo. Just work around any herbs and spices carefully (can he tolerate them or not). My friend was OK with the herbs and spices as long as they were not on top of the dish (ie.: in the sauce itself)

Good luck. If you want the recipe I used, I will post it.
    Leisa

This recipe is so easy (especially if you have some pre-cooked chicken on hand) and comforting! I serve it on top of rice because it's pretty saucy. If you're a food snob, stop here because it contains canned soup (gasp) and Ritz crackers (eek!). Nevertheless, it's great!

Poppyseed Chicken

3 c. chopped cooked chicken
    8 oz. sour cream (can sub low fat or fat free with fine results)
    1 can Cream of Chicken soup (can use the reduced fat version)
    1 tbsp. poppy seeds
    1 sleeve Ritz crackers
    1/3 c. butter - melted

Combine chicken, sour cream, soup and poppy seeds. Crush crackers and add melted butter. Pour cracker mixture on top of casserole and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.

-Grandma Moses

Abby, we love the Poppyseed Chicken! It's one of the few canned soup recipes that I can't let go of.

Kari, what about the CL Cheddar Chicken Chowder or Italian Wedding Soup? Here are some others that might work:

Sicilian Meat Roll
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    3/4 cup soft bread crumbs (1 slice bread)
    1/2 cup tomato juice
    2 Tablespoons parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 small garlic clove, minced
    2 pounds ground beef
    6 thin slices of fully cooked ham
    2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

In a large bowl combine all ingredients except ground beef, ham and cheese. Stir in the ground beef, mixing well.

On foil, pat meat mixture to a 10 x 12 inch rectangle. Arrange ham slices on meat, leaving a 3/4 inch border around all edges. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese over ham.

Starting from a short end, carefully roll up meat, using foil to lift. Seal edges and ends. Place roll, seam side down, in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Center will be pink due to ham. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top of roll, return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Serves 8 to 10 (I usually cut it in half and freeze half for another time.)

Chicken Lombardy
    1/2 cup flour
    1 cup butter, divided
    salt and pepper
    8 ounce package mushrooms, sliced
    3/4 cup marsala wine
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
    4- 6 boneless chicken breasts, flattened to 1/8 inch thickness

Dredge chicken lightly with flour. Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Cook chicken over low heat, 3 - 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Each time you cook more chicken add more butter. Place chicken in a 9 x 13 inch greased baking dish, overlapping edges. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Reserve pan drippings and saut mushrooms with 1/4 cup butter until tender. Sprinkle over chicken. Stir wine, chicken broth and parmesan cheese in drippings. Simmer 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over chicken. Top with mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 450 for 10 - 12 minutes.

Garden Risotto
    2 Tablespoons oil
    1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 3/4 cups (12 ounces) uncooked orzo pasta
    2 cups broccoli florets
    2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1" pieces
    1 1/2 cups corn
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is softened.

Add orzo, broccoli and broth. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and cook for 6 minutes.

Stir in corn, salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir in cheese.
    Wag more...bark less...

I'm back! Abby's post reminded me of the other canned soup casserole that we love:

Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
    4 - 5 chicken breasts, poached and cut up
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    2 cans cream of celery soup
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped onions
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 1/2 cups herb stuffing
    1 package slivered almonds

Parboil celery and onions slightly (keep crunchy) and drain. Mix all ingredients together except for stuffing, almonds and cheese.

Put mixture in a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Spread cheese over top, layering next with stuffing then almonds.

Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight, or can be cooked immediately if desired.

Bake uncovered at 400 for 30 minutes.
    Wag more...bark less...

Kari, we really like CL's Fettucine Alfredo. It's rich and creamy, but not too heavy, and pretty quick to make. You can add broccoli or other veggies for more of a one-dish meal if you like, and use any type of pasta. It's in CL Complete, or hka posted it on this thread.

I'll second RebeccaT's recommendation for the Four-Cheese Macaroni - another of our favorites.

How about SandyM's Oven-Baked Beef Stew? It's good comfort food, and I'm pretty sure people have made it in the crock pot with good results.

I'm keeping your family in my thoughts.

Kathryn, thanks for mentioning the crockpot! I hadn't even thought of having my mom use that, but it sure would save her plenty of time. I will definitely check out that beef stew recipe, and Fettucine Alfredo is one of Jack's favorite foods, plus my mom told me tonight he's been craving cheesy foods (mac & cheese, cheese pizza) so she's trying to make those types of things to get him more interested in eating. It will be nice to offer her some variety.

Also, thank you Abby and krispy spo for the recipes! They all look great and, no, we aren't food snobs in my family so the canned soup recipes are allowed.

Kari