Community Message Boards

Thread: Best subscription renewal price?

Best subscription renewal price?

I called CL and they said the best price is $22. I thought some folks had received a better deal. Does anyone know if this is the best price?
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I've been ordering my subscription through discountmagazines.com, and their price is $14.00 for one year.

I posted my $12 offer not too long ago. I sent it in, but have yet to be billed.

I have always paid $16.00 a year. I think you can do better. Around the holidays they sometimes offer two subscriptions for a reduced price. If you know someone that wants to get CL also, you may be able to do it with them when the offer comes out.

Peggy

I had a $12 offer included in the shrinkwrap of my November issue. The funny thing was that it said to reply by 10/28. I received it on 10/27. I dropped it back in the mail the next morning.

I recently sent in a postcard for 1 year's renewal at $22 thinking that that was a decent price for 11 issues. However, when I rec'd the invoice, they had charged me for two years.

By that time I had seen the BB thread for the $12 rate so I called and asked for one year at $12. I ended up getting 10 issues (instead of 11) for $12.48. Close enough and much better than $22!

Thanks for your recent thread about this, funnybone!
    Wag more...bark less...

Thanks for the tips. I am sorry I missed your other thread, funnybone.

I called back and asked for the $12 rate. They insisted there was no such thing but I got the $16 rate, which seemed fair to me.

btw it drives me nuts when magazines escalate for loyal subscribers. I get Sew News for my stepmother as a birthday gift each year, and this year they wanted $38 for the renewal price. The web price was $22--so that is what I paid!
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I got the $12 renewal offer -- not sure if it was with the last issue or sent about the same time, but just after I sent that in, I got an $11 gift subscription offer than also has a place to check for renewal. I think I'll send that one in too, and then maybe the Roman Meal for another year, and then I'll be set for a while!

I do wish they wouldn't play with the subscription rates. Southern Living has gone up so much that I stopped renewing. My mom renewed for me on a 2-for-1 offer the last couple of years, but she's not renewing anymore, so I think I'm going to let it go. I enjoy getting it, but not that much.

I just sent off the required 6 codes from Roman Meal Bread--for a year's free subscription. In 6 or so weeks, we'll see if they come through. http://www.romanmeal.com

Shar

Originally posted by Jessica

I called back and asked for the $12 rate. They insisted there was no such thing but I got the $16 rate, which seemed fair to me.

No such thing Well, I scanned the letter and here it is. BTW, I checked my account status on line and it shows they issued an invoice for $12, dated Oct. 14.

You probably select all the best ingredients and delicious, healthy recipes -- whether you're cooking for yourself, family or friends. After all, you chose Cooking Light!

And because you're a Preferred Subscriber, we'd like to offer you these special savings: Renew your Cooking Light subscription now and get one full year (11 issues) for $12! You'll also receive our Quick & Easy Entrees FREE with your paid order.

Not only will you save money on a magazine you love, you'll also get our best new collection of deliciously simple recipes hand-picked by our Editors! You'll find easy recipes for dishes like Herbed Chicken Piccata, Barbecued Flank Steak and Pasta Jambalaya that you can make super-fast and are sure to enjoy.

Quick & Easy Entrees combines our most delicious (and don't forget good for you) recipes ever! And its mini size makes it easy to store and take anywhere! You won't believe how wonderful each dish is or how easy they are to prepare!

To reserve your FREE copy of Quick & Easy Entrees and accept this exclusive Preferred-Subscriber discount, simply return the certificate above today in the pre-addressed envelope enclosed. We can bill you later if you prefer.

Continue choosing the best of everything for a healthier lifestyle and all its rewards. Renew Cooking Light TODAY!

Sincerely,

Ira D. Walters
    for Cooking Light

P.S. Be sure to reply by 10/07/03 to guarantee these great savings and reserve your FREE Quick & Easy Entrees!

Are there any special rates for us Canucks? The shelf price is $6 plus tax Cdn. I looked into a magazine website someone on the BB recommended, but it turns out the special deal for Cooking Light isn't offered to Canadians. (If I bought an entire year of magazines, that's over $75 including tax. That's a bit much IMHO for a magazine.)

Originally posted by foodfiend
    Are there any special rates for us Canucks?
    If you read the fine print on the subscription card, it says:

Outside the US, add $15 delivery.

I've sent gift subscriptions to friends in Canada - I've had the deals where the second one is $5 more, so it pays off if you can get something like that. Right now in the Nov issue, the renewal card is for $22 and then $16 for the additional issues. Not as great a deal.

Originally posted by sharris315
    I just sent off the required 6 codes from Roman Meal Bread--for a year's free subscription. In 6 or so weeks, we'll see if they come through. http://www.romanmeal.com

Shar
    Shar, I'm doing the same and just in time as my subscription just ran out

Diet Coke has a promotion for $12 subscription fee. I just found it inside one of my diet coke fridge packs. I renewed a few months ago for $10 through some offer sent to me in the mail.

Cheryl

Originally posted by foodfiend
    Are there any special rates for us Canucks? The shelf price is $6 plus tax Cdn. I looked into a magazine website someone on the BB recommended, but it turns out the special deal for Cooking Light isn't offered to Canadians. (If I bought an entire year of magazines, that's over $75 including tax. That's a bit much IMHO for a magazine.)
    The Coke offer for new subscribers says it is for US only, but then it says to add $10 US for subscriptions outside the US. That would make the offer for $22 US. I don't know how that works out for Canadian currency, but it sounds a lot better than $75.