Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Pumpkin Bars

ISO: Pumpkin Bars

We're going to a going away party on Saturday and I was asked to bring "pumpkin bars". I'm not sure what kind they mean, but I think she wants the cakey kind with icing. I have recipes in MC and could find some on the net, but was hoping to get some tried and true recipes if possible. It doesn't have to be the "cakey" kind, if you have another fantastic pumpkin bar-type recipe I'd love to see it also. Thanks!

Linda, here is a recipe that I have tried in the past. I remember that they were good, but it has been awhile.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spicy Pumpkin Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 Bar Ingredients:
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 2/3 cups sugar
    3/4 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter -- softened
    1/3 cup milk
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 eggs
    1 can cooked pumpkin -- (15-ounce)
    Butter Pecan Frosting Ingredients:
    4 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter -- softened
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 tablespoons milk -- (3 to 4)
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Instructions:

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all bar ingredients in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes).

Pour batter into greased 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until bar springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool completely.

Combine powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, gradually adding enough milk and scraping bowl often, until desired spreading consistency (1 to 2 minutes). Stir in pecans by hand. Frost cooled bars. Cut into bars.

*Substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.
    Ingredient Substitution Index

Yield: 48 bars

www.landolakes.com

Nutrition Facts (1 bar)

Calories: 140
    Fat: 6 g
    Cholesterol: 20 mg
    Sodium: 135 mg
    Carbohydrates: 21 g
    Dietary Fiber: <1 g
    Protein: 1 g

NOTES : These ever so moist pumpkin bars are topped with a truly delicious butter cream frosting.

Here's one that I would like to try, so I am not sure if you are interested in it for now, but I'll post anyway.

Pumpkin Bars

Recipe By : Better Homes and Gardens
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Ingredients
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 eggs
    1 can pumpkin -- (15 ounce)
    1 2/3 cups sugar
    1 cup cooking oil
    3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
    1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
    Pecan halves (optional)

Directions
    1. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat together eggs, pumpkin, sugar, and oil. Add the flour mixture; beat until well combined. Stir in chopped pecans, if desired.
    2. Spread batter in an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with pecan halves, if desired. Cut into squares. Store in refrigerator. Makes 24 bars.

Cream Cheese Frosting: In a medium bowl beat together one 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened; 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened; and 1 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating until smooth.

Nutritional Information
    Nutritional facts per serving
    calories: 250, total fat: 13g, saturated fat: 4g, cholesterol: 45mg, sodium: 147mg, carbohydrate: 31g, fiber: 1g, protein: 3g, vitamin A: 43%, vitamin C: 1%, calcium: 3%, iron: 6%

I've made the Pumpkin Bars from Epicurious.
    I followed one of the reviewer's suggestions and added a bit of ginger to the cake batter and a teaspoon of vanilla to the icing. They come out really moist and tasty.

They make a good big pan, everybody I've shared them with loves them.

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe...n+bars&x=4&y=6

I made a recipe from an old Bon Appetit that I thought was perfect. I looked on Epicurious and I'm pretty certain this is the recipe (mine's at home). These are wicked (check out the sugar and oil and eggs!) but what the heck...you're foisting them on someone else anyways!

PUMPKIN-RAISIN BARS
    These cake-like treats are moist and spicy-and great with milk.
    2 cups all purpose flour
    2 cups sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 15-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
    4 large eggs
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup raisins

6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1/3 cup butter, room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch baking sheet. Stir first 8 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Add pumpkin, eggs and oil and beat until blended. Mix in raisins. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.

Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and butter in medium bowl to blend. Spread frosting over cake in thin layer. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated.) Cut cake into bars and serve.

Makes 24.

Bon Appétit
    January 1998

I made these a few weeks ago and we loved them! I un-lightened them a bit by using 1/3-less-fat cream cheese in the frosting because that's all I had on hand. I also skipped the step with putting the wax paper in the pan and just sprayed it once with cooking spray instead. I probably added slightly more cinnamon to the cake because I love cinamon, and for the frosting I used 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp cinnamon flavoring.

Kari

Cinnamon-Pumpkin Bars

1 cup canned pumpkin
    1 large egg
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon

Cream Cheese Frosting
    4 oz fat-free cream cheese, at room temperature
    1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly coat a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom with wax paper or parchment papaer and spray again.
    In a large bowl, stir together the pumpkin, egg, sugar, oil, and sour cream. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and mix until well blended. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
    In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. When the bars are cooled, spread with the frosting. Cut into bars and seve.

Makes 24 bars.

Per bar: 114 calories (20% from fat), 2.6 g fat, 9.7mg chol, 85mg sodium

These taste just like a Pumpkin Pie. You could spread some Low fat Cool Whip on the top before you cut them into bars and it would be somewhat Like a "cake". It really has the consistency of a firm cheesecake /pie. Travel well and freeze beautifully.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

1 (16oz) pkg pound cake mix
    3 eggs (I sub egg beaters)
    2 Tbs. Butter
    4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 (8oz) softened cream cheese (I use Low fat)
    1 (14oz) Eagle Brand condensed milk (I use low fat)
    1 (16oz) can of pumpkin
    ½ tsp salt
    1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mix in a large bowl – cake mix, 1 egg, butter, and 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice until crumbly. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
    3. In another mixing bowl, beat – cream cheese, condensed milk, 2 eggs, pumpkin, remaining pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
    4. Pour cheese mixture over crust, and sprinkle with nuts if you want!
    5. Bake 30-35 minutes or until set.
    6. Cool!

Yield: 24 – 48 bars depending on how you cut them up!

Hey Canice!! You and I seem to share the same taste in recipes.

High Five. Or Jinx or whatever the Internet equivalent would be.

Yum! Decisions, decisions! Thanks everybody...anyone else?
    Kari, do you know the source of your recipe?

I really loved Jewel's Spicy Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars. The spicy, brown sugary, nutty crust is great with the more pumpkin pie-like (but with cream cheese) top layer.

Jewel's Spicy Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

I ate a TON of these! And now I want to make them again! -sarah
    "Always serve too much hot fudge sauce on hot fudge sundaes. It makes people overjoyed, and puts them in your debt."
    Judith Olney

I make the recipe for Pumpkin Bars out of the BHG red checkered book every year.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Originally posted by Linda in MO

Kari, do you know the source of your recipe?
    Oops, I forgot to mention that! It's from a cookbook I got called "Light and Easy Baking", by Beatrice Ojakangas. I've only had the book a month and already made 3 things out of it, and all of them were great! Neither DH nor I could tell any of them were light at all.

Kari

These are sooooo good and cakeyish (I'm sure that's a word. ) The last time I made them for my sister in law was a year ago and she just called for the recipe. She doesn't bake much, but needed something to take to work and remembered how good these are - which is saying something because I am always taking something I've made over there and this is the first time she has ever asked for a recipe. They're from "Betty Crocker's New Cookbook." Oh, and I use a 13 x 9 pan instead of a jelly roll pan (because I don't have one.)

Pumpkin-Spice Bars

PREP: 15 min; BAKE: 30 min; COOL: 2 hr. Makes 49 bars

4 large eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 (16 oz) can pumpkin
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1 cup raisins
    Cream Cheese Frosting (below)
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of jelly roll pan 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch, lightly with shortening.
    2. Beat eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin in large bowl until smooth. Stir in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking sodaa, salt, ginger and cloves. Stir in raisins. Spread in pan.
    2. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Sprinkle with walnuts. Cut into 2 x 1 1/2 inch bars. Refrigerate any remaining bars.

Cream Cheese Frosting
    1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup stick margarine or butter, softened
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 cups powdered sugar

Mix cream cheese, margarine, and vanilla in medium bowl. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth.

This is a yummy one from Taste of Home last fall. The dried cranberries and brown butter frosting work really well with the pumpkin/spice flavors.

Frosted Pumpkin Cranberry Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

1 1/2 c flour
    1 1/4 c sugar
    2 tsps baking powder
    2 tsps cinnamon
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp ginger
    3 eggs
    15 ozs canned pumpkin
    3/4 c melted butter
    3/4 c dried cranberries
    brown butter frosting:
    1/2 c butter
    4 c confectioner's sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    4 tbsps milk -- (4 to 6 tbsp)

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, and butter; stir into dry ingredients until well combined. Stir in cranberries. Spread into a greased 15x10 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes our until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

For frosting, heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool 5 minutes. Stir in the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread over bars.

Fig,
    I made that recipe last year when it came out an I agree they are great. (I even started a whole thread on this recipe here.) I thought they were best on the second day, but they were really good even on the first day. I loved the browned butter icing, too!
    Val

At the last minute I decided I wanted to make something just a little fancier than pumpkin bars, so I made a pumpkin roll. And for the kids, I also made an Eating Well Died and Gone to Heaven Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze (from CL complete) and sprinkles (multi-colored leaves). Yummy as usual.

Thanks for all the recipes though! They are all going into Mastercook. And last night I ended up making the Cinnamon-Pumpkin Bars posted by Kari. I reviewed them on this thread...
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...threadid=49295

Pumpkin Roll

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cake , Dessert

3 large eggs
    1 cup sugar
    2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
    1 tsp lemon juice
    3/4 cup flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp cinnamon -- (or 1 t. cinnamon and 1 t. pumpkin pie spice)
    1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg or ground mace -- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup finely chopped walnuts -- optional (I don't use)
    Filling:
    8 ounces softened cream cheese -- (light works fine)
    1/4 cup softened butter
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs on high for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar until thick and lemon colored.

Add pumpkin and lemon juice.

In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. Fold flour mixture into pumpkin mixture.

Grease a 15x10x1 pan and line with wax paper or parchment. Grease and flour (I didn't flour) the paper.

Spread batter evenly in pan; sprinkle walnuts over batter if using.

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly.

Immediately turn the cake out onto a linen towel dusted with powdered sugar. Peel off paper and roll cake into towel starting with short end. Cool completely on rack.

Meanwhile, prepare filling by mixing all ingredients together until smooth and fluffy.

Unroll cake carefully and evenly spread filling over cake to within 1 inch of edges.

Roll up cake again. Wrap and chill. Dust roll with powdered sugar if desired.

I have to second Jewel's Spicy Pumpkin Cheesecake bars...they are amazingly, sinfully good

J
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

oops duh heehee. No wonder why I went for a cup of coffee

J
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com