Community Message Boards

Thread: Rev: Apple Pie with Oatmeal Cookie Crust

Thumbs up Rev: Apple Pie with Oatmeal Cookie Crust

I was invited to my great aunts for Sunday dinner and my housemate's GF had just given me a big bag of apples, these two facts led me to seek out a tasty apple dessert. And being rather nervous around typical pie crusts, finding a recipe with an oatmeal cookie crust was just the ticket. The recipe came from Mollie Katzen's The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest. While I don't usually end up with consistent results from this book, it did not fail me this time. The pie was inhaled with "oohs" and "yums" from around the table. The filling was nice and tart, while the crust was crunchy and sweet. It would have been perfect with a little vanilla ice cream.

The only changes I made was that the recipe calls for tart apples, but the ones I had were sweet, so I replaced 1 cup of apples with about 3/4 cup of fresh cranberries. And since I used the rest of my brown sugar making the crust (oops!), I used raw sugar (turbinado) in the filling and just less than what was called for. Last one, I left out all the optional ingredients. I baked it on a cookie sheet fearing leakage, but it didn't leak at all! I'll just say once more that this was an awesome apple pie

Apple Pie with Oatmeal Cookie Crust
    30 minutes to prepare (took me 45)
    45 to 50 minutes to bake

4 to 6 servings (that would be huge! I easily got 10)

Crust:
    1 1/2 c rolled oats
    1/2 c unbleached white flour
    1/4 t salt (rounded measure)
    3/4 t cinnamon
    3 T brown sugar
    1/4 c finely minced nuts (optional)
    1/2 t vanilla extract
    1/2 c (1 stick - in America) butter, melted

1. Combine all crust ingredients in a medium sized bowl, and mix well.

2. Press firmly and evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9" or 10" pie pan, forming a thick crust. Reserve a handful of crust mix for the topping.

Filling:

6 c peeled, sliced tart apple (or 5 c plus 3/4 c fresh cranberries)
    3 T fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 t cinnamon
    1/4 t allspice or ground cloves
    1/4 t nutmeg
    1/2 t grated lemon rind
    3 T unbleached white flour
    1/4 c brown sugar or honey
    1/2 c sour cream (optional
    a handful of chopped nuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 F

2. Place the sliced apples ina large bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice, and sprinkle with spices; toss until well coated. Add the rind, sprinkle in the flour and mix again. Gradually add the sugar or honey (and optional sour cream) as you mix. Don't worry if the apple slices break a little while being mixed and tossed.

3. Distribute the filling into the unbaked crust. Sprinkle the handful of reserved crust mix over the top, with or without the optional extra handful of nuts, and pat neatly into place.

4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the apples are soft and the crust is nicely browned on the edges. Note: If the top appears to be browning too quickly during baking, cover loosely with foil. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

Thanks for posting this emily.....I have some granny smiths that I need to use up so will make this one this coming weekend.
    Maureen

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

That looks great! I like your addition of cranberries. I make an oatmeal crust when I make Fresh Strawberry Glazed Pie. It's really tasty and easier than a pastry crust...

Oatmeal Crust

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
    2 T. finely chopped toasted pecans
    2 T. packed light brown sugar or white sugar
    1/8 t. salt or crushed kosher salt
    1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted

Combine flour, oats, pecans, sugar, and salt. Stir in melted butter until blended. Pour into a 9 inch pie plate (can spray with Pam first, if desired). Press onto the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    Linda - Yummy! Oatmeal = awesome! What temp do you bake that oatmeal crust at?
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by LonghornGal
    Linda - Yummy! Oatmeal = awesome! What temp do you bake that oatmeal crust at?
    Oops! 400 degrees. I'll edit my post above. Here's the strawberry pie recipe in case you're interested...
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...strawberry+pie

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    Thanks. that strawberry pie sounds great! It's in the Mastercook "To Try" list now!
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

Oooh, I agree that the strawberry pie looks awesome! Now if I only remember about it when strawberries are back in season

Emily

I made this pie for Thanksgiving. I thought it was very good and the spices in the apples were great. The crust had good flavor and was crunchy where it stuck out from the pie up the sides, but the majority of the crust which was covered with apples, was mushy. I also found that the bits of crust that were sprinkled on top of the apples got very brown after only 30 minutes in the oven, while the apples were still hard. So I ended up covering the pie with foil for the last 20 minutes and the apples cooked and steamed while the crust bits on top didn't get any browner but also got soft. I took the foil off for the last few minutes to crisp up the topping. It also didn't look very pretty, but we enjoyed it.

I called it "Upside Down Apple Crisp" after DD said that Apple with Oatmeal Cookie Crust didn't sound very good. Everyone else thought that "Upside Down Apple Crisp" was quite gourmet!

I'm wondering what to do to keep the crust crispy. Do you need to cook the crust and apples separate from each other and then put them together at the end? I should have also kept more of the crust to use as the topping so it would have looked prettier.

All in all, I liked it, but for company I would do something different.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I made this Apple Pie and just wanted to bring this recipe up again.
    Fall is coming and nothing better than the smell of apple pie/cakes baking in the oven, right?!
    I had this recipe in my to try pile since it was first posted here by Emily, and finally got around making it this weekend. The pie was delicious, the apples were soft and flavorful with the spices and lemon juice, and the crust was nice and crisp, really yummy dessert!
    As Loren mentioned above, my topping also got overbrown after a while in the oven and I had to cover it for part of the time.
    My only problem was that although the crust was nice and crisp (really good!), I wasn't able to cut it as a pie... it sort of broke apart in big chunks/pieces as I tried to lift it up. I did exactly as the recipe stated, just didn't used the optional nuts.
    I made the pie to take to a friend's house as a dessert to our pizza night, and even though the "pie" ended up being spooned into little bowls it was still super tasty and everyone loved it. We thought it was a delicious "apple oatmeal crisp", and it was just perfect served warm with vanilla ice cream!
    It was very easy to make, and I liked the flavors a lot (I LOVE Oatmeal! And apples!!), I was just a little disappointed that I could not serve it sliced as a pie....Has anyone else made this recipe and experienced this?
    Even with my little misfortune it was definitely a recipe worth trying!
    Ana