Community Message Boards

Thread: What to put in my spinach salad?

What to put in my spinach salad?

I have a bag of baby spinach I have to use TODAY, but none of the ingredients for any of several spinach salads recipes I typically use. I can't get to the store before dinner, so I'm stuck with what I have--which is not much of anything. I do have everything I need to make a basic dressing (olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and sugar).

So--quick, what pantry/produce basics do you use in your spinach salad?
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

chopped apple
    craisins
    almonds
    garlicky croutons

and if you can make a balsamic viniagrette....

canned mandarin oranges
    crumbled bleu cheese
    pecans

(not together - just thoughts)
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

red onions (mmmmmmm)

I had a spinach salad once with chopped apple, shredded smoked gouda cheese, green pepper strips and red onion.....with a honey mustard vinaigrette....YUM!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I love spinach salads in so many ways! With nuts, onions, and dried cherries. With shredded mozzarella, tomatoes, other veggies, and balsamic dressing, or with just the cheese! With bacon, onions, peas, and the hot dressing for the wilted greens. With mandarin oranges. With strawberries.

I think that MaryKate's list could work together!

almost forgot--love it with bacon, chopped hardboiled egg, and slices of pickled (sushi) ginger

oranges and almonds. grated carrot, tomato avocado & almonds.

Strawberries and melon balls with raspberry viniagarette dressing.

Shar

Yum. Those all sound so good. I think I'm going with chopped apple and some roasted walnuts, since that's what I've got. Thanks for all the suggestions. Perhaps we should all get together for a spinach salad mix-off. . .
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Originally posted by Robyncz
    Yum. Those all sound so good. I think I'm going with chopped apple and some roasted walnuts, since that's what I've got. Thanks for all the suggestions. Perhaps we should all get together for a spinach salad mix-off. . .
    OMG - how much fun would that be? No recipes allowed - just combinations. Hmmmm ... and you can only use what you've got on hand. Then again, what WE'VE got on hand is most likely entirely different than what the general public might - hell, we've got spinach to begin with.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833