Community Message Boards

Thread: Crystallized Ginger

Question Crystallized Ginger

Does anyone know how to make crystallized ginger? I love recipes that use it but it's so expensive where I live.

I had posted a recipe for this a couple of weeks ago. Try a search on "crystallized ginger" and you should find it.

Look under search for it. I made it this weekend and it is wonderful. Better than anything in the store. Much sharper flavor and really fresh tasting. It took a while to cook, but you don't do anything to it so you can do other things in the mean time. I will never buy it in the store again, and it is cheaper to make it as well.

I was looking for a receipe for crystallized ginger, too. It is actually one of my favorite snacks! As suggested, I did a search and only came up with recipies *including* crystallized ginger, not one for actually making that ingrediant. Might someone be willing to e-mail me a recipe, or re-post it?

Here's SusieO's recipe:

Slice 1/2 cup fresh ginger. Boil sugar water (1 cup sugar to 2 cups water) and sliced ginger for at least 1 hour, or until the mixture becomes translucent (mine cooked 2 hours). Remove the ginger from the sugar syrup and cool it completely. Roll the ginger in granulated sugar. Store in an airtight container.

Ginger/chocolate chip biscotti is an unbelievably good recipe using crystallized ginger. My husband became a huge Cooking Light fan after I made that one!
    It is available on-line.

I'm not sure how much you pay for crystallized ginger where you live but I know The Spice House sells tons of it and the prices are as follows: 1oz .89, 4oz 2.79,
    8 oz 4.49, and 16oz for $8.90.
    This stuff is HIGHLY addictive and with cooking gas prices as high as they are I bet its better to have them send it to you. www.thespicehouse.com or 847-328-3711

Wow! The only bottle I could find last time I looked was a tiny spice-bottle-size for $7! I'm going to try to make some this weekend to see how it compare with the store bought kind. Thanks for the help!

Jea
    Try looking in the Chinesse section of your supermarket. There you will find crystalized ginger at a good price.

Smile

Just a quick tip...(sorry if this is old news). Crystalized ginger is a great cure for heartburn or an upset stomach. We keep a container handy in the kitchen to munch on if needed. Thanks for the recipe for making your own, it sounds so much nicer. I buy my crystalized ginger from the bulk spice bins in almost any grocery store, and it is NOT expensive at all. (and here,in Canada, everything is usually so much more expensive or harder to find!)
    Erin

Question

For how long does it stay good? I keep a big jar in the refrigerator, but it's been there a couple of years now.

This is all very facinating. I love crystalized ginger. It tastes just like ginger ale. Which makes sense that it would be good for heartburn and nausea. I had a jar in my refrigerator for 3yrs and it never went bad. I buy it in bags in the produce section now. The pieces are bigger and better for munching. Now I keep it in the freezer because I like the texture when I take it out. I haven't tried the ginger chocolate chip biscotti, but I did make just plain ginger ones and I loved them. I got more compliments on them, too. The fresh ginger taste really came through.

I buy crystalline ginger for $2/lb at a food co-op. I give pieces to my patients with nausea from their chemo. It doesn't work as well, or as long as the anti-nausea drugs, but it does really help with this type of nausea.

Thumbs up

I have found the most wonderful crystalized ginger made by a company called 'The Ginger People'. I buy it at Trader Joes, and it is so good that I eat it right out of the bag. I can't imagine it getting any better than this stuff. The company also has a website at www.thegingerpeople.com that you could check out. I don't work for them : ) I just REALLY like their product!

Cool

I went to the Fresh Fields/Whole Foods grocery store last week (to get some red lentils to make the fragrant red lentils CL dish -- great!), and saw they had crystallized ginger. They sold it as a candy/snack food, I think. Now I'll have to go back and buy some!