Community Message Boards

Thread: Help - need egg substitute in cake...

Question Help - need egg substitute in cake...

Ok - its Saturday night and I need to make something for snacks for church tomorrow AM -- and I have NO EGGS! (DH wanted to try some 'Farm Fresh Eggs' advertised in the neighborhood, but FORGOT to buy them):mad:

I have a cake mix that could serve as the basis of some quick cookies if I can substitute APPLESAUCE for EGGS. Does this work?

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

this is from foodsubs.com, hope it helps!

For baking

1 egg = 2 tablespoons liquid + 2 tablespoons flour + tablespoon shortening + teaspoon baking powder (Recipe from Substituting Ingredients by Becky Sue Epstein and Hilary Dole Klein. See my sources. Add one or two drops of yellow food coloring if desired.)

OR egg substitute (Substitute 1/4 cup egg substitute for each egg. Using egg substitute in place of eggs tends to make baked goods rubbery, because egg substitute has no fat. To improve the product's texture, add one teaspoon of canola oil for each egg replaced. Egg substitute can't be whipped and is much more expensive than regular eggs. It doesn't work well in cheesecakes. For more information, visit the Illinois Cooperative Extension Service's Egg Substitutes page; for a recipe, visit its Homemade Egg Substitute page)

OR egg whites (Substitute 2 egg whites for each whole egg. This substitution may make baked goods less tender. To compensate, try adding 1 teaspoon of oil per egg called for in recipe.)

OR flaxmeal (Make flaxmeal by grinding flaxseed in a blender until it has the consistency of cornmeal. Use two tablespoons flaxmeal plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder plus 3 tablespoons water for each egg called for in recipe.

OR egg yolks (Higher in fat, but increasing the egg yolks in a baked good often makes it moister and more flavorful.)

OR gelatin (To replace each egg: Dissolve 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin in 1 tablespoon cold water, then add 2 tablespoons boiling water. Beat vigorously until frothy.)

OR cornstarch (Substitute 1 tablespoon cornstarch plus 3 tablespoons water for each egg called for in recipe.

OR mayonnaise (Substitute 3 tablespoons mayonnaise for each egg called for in recipe.)

OR Ener-G Egg Replacer (Substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons Egg Replacer plus 2 tablespoons water for each egg called for in recipe.)

OR bananas (Substitute 1/2 of a mashed ripe banana plus 1/4 teaspoon baking powder for each egg.)

OR silken tofu (Substitute 1/4 cup tofu for each egg.)

OR fruit-based fat substitutes (Substitute 2 tablespoons fat substitute for each egg in recipe.)
    I was born okay the first time thanks.
    -random bumper sticker

If you are interested in a quick delicious dessert without eggs, I have a great one. If you don't have dark brown sugar on hand, I am sure light would work.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oat Bars

Recipe By :Julie Hasson
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 c packed dark brown sugar
    3/4 c butter -- melted
    3 tbsps light corn syrup
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp salt
    3 c old-fashioned rolled oats
    6 ozs semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper and grease.

In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt. Add oats and chips and mix well. Press dough into prepared pan.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned but not too dark. It will still be soft to the touch but will harden when it cools. Let cool in pan on rack. Cut into bars.

Source:
    "125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 251 Calories; 13g Fat (44.2% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 23mg Cholesterol; 132mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : these are so yummy and dangerously easy. they can be whipped up so quickly and you always have the ingredients in the house. mine were definitely done in 20 minutes. they were all bubbly and everything when I took them out, so they didn't look done. but they firmed up on cooling as the recipe said. the outer pieces were more crispy/chewy and the inner ones were more soft/chewy. I loved both kinds! but it is nice that there is this variation because you can choose to eat the kind you prefer (or you can choose to eat both in my case!). The taste is great! I love the chewy whole oat and dark brown sugar flavor. I used only about 3/4 cups of chocolate chips and that was plenty. what a simple ingenious recipe.