• Frozen

22 48.89%
  • None

1 2.22%
  • Undecided

4 8.89%

Thread: Fresh or Frozen Turkey

Fresh or Frozen Turkey

I don't think I have ever had a fresh turkey, but am considering getting one this year if it isn't too late to order.

How about you? Is your turkey fresh or frozen?

In the past my DM has gotten the turkey, usually only the breast and it's been fresh.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

We almost always have a frozen one. A couple of years I've forgotten to take it out in time so have gotten a fresh one. I read soemwhere recently that fresh ones a more subject to bruising and that frozen was a better choice (and I don't think it was a turkey website either).
    Yesterday DH and the older 2 DSs went to a "turkey shoot" and DS#1 came home with $30 and a 20 pound frozen turkey. The "shoot" was a fundraiser for the FFA.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I always get frozen due to my location. They do get fresh ones but I just go with what I know. Also Safeway usually has a great deal on frozen turkeys for club members.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Fresh Kosher turkey for us.

Cool

I've made both, but I can't give you a fair assessment. Most of the ones I've bought have been fresh, but strangely enough I've actually frozen a few of them because I bought them in advance and was worried about spoilage. This was back about fifteen years ago. Nowadays, I'd just order a fresh one for delivery the day before. Actually, I've had excellent results with the frozen, the fresh, and the fresh I froze. Was it CI which did a study and found the frozen turkeys superior? Or am I dreaming that?

The only turkey I ever bought which I thought was godawful was a Butterball I'd earned at the market. It came out well enough-- as have all of the turkeys I've made-- but the sight of oozing butter made my stomach queasy. Still in all, the guests liked it. I must have my audience well-trained.

If I remember right, CI stated that if you are going to freeze your turkey, you're better off buying one frozen to begin with. The poultry companies freeze them at much lower temperatures so that the texture of the meat is better.
    Alicia

Frozen- I'm not cooking THE Thanksgiving dinner for our family but I got a free turkey breast from the supermarket. Since I don't know when I'll be cooking, frozen's the way to go for me.
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Cool

Originally posted by gobluem82
    If I remember right, CI stated that if you are going to freeze your turkey, you're better off buying one frozen to begin with. The poultry companies freeze them at much lower temperatures so that the texture of the meat is better.
    You probably DO remember right.

Guess I should consider myself very fortunate that those early turkeys turned out so well!

I voted undecided because I'm not sure if I'll be making a turkey this time. We have tentative plans to go up to Denver for the holiday, but several factors (weather, school work, and etc.) could change that plan. If our plans change and I have time I'd like to get a small (7-10 lb) fresh turkey from Wild Oats. DBF doesn't eat meat except fish, so I'll probably make salmon for him and we'll have a ton of leftovers to get us through our finals.

We get a fresh one - doesn't need to thaw for 2 days and always tastes great.
    Kim

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
    -Pat Conroy

already got it, already cooked it, already ate it.

it was frozen.

Thanks for the replies.

In the past I have always gotten a free frozen turkey because the local grocery stores would give them away if you purchased x $ over several weeks, so the choice was easy. I didn't see any promotions like that around here. I plan on getting the frozen one this week only because I am too lazy to see who has fresh available. I know Whole Foods does, but they are not close by and I'm not sure I can be in that area next Wed. I'll have too much other running around to do to prepare for out of town guests staying the weekend.

Fresh was my answer.... it's a family tradition now. And my dad thinks it's funny to see if he can get one bigger than last year.. every year! I believe the one last year was in the vicinity of 28 pounds. Insane!

Anyhoo, fresh cooks faster and tastes super yummy!

C
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

Cooked a fresh one last t-day. No going back. Yum.

-Susan

Originally posted by Gail

The only turkey I ever bought which I thought was godawful was a Butterball I'd earned at the market. It came out well enough-- as have all of the turkeys I've made-- but the sight of oozing butter made my stomach queasy.
    I could be wrong, but aren't Butterballs injected with a salt/broth solution? Not actual butter?

It seems that a lot of the turkeys at my local H.E.B. are injected with the same thing. There are about 4 injected varieties and 1 brand (the store brand) of fresh turkey.

Originally posted by claire797

I could be wrong, but aren't Butterballs injected with a salt/broth solution? Not actual butter?

It seems that a lot of the turkeys at my local H.E.B. are injected with the same thing. There are about 4 injected varieties and 1 brand (the store brand) of fresh turkey.
    Anna,

I don't know WHAT that stuff was, so yes, you could be completely correct. It was yellowish and it didn't look natural. I can only tell you that I found the sight of whatever-it-was utterly disgusting. As I said, my guests thought it was wonderful. My husband and I kept casting "eew" looks at each other when the others weren't looking.

fresh this year, but this will be the first truly fresh one. i usually go frozen, but i got a fresh one 5+yrs ago when we lived in MN, didn't have enough room in my fridge so i put it in the garage & it froze! we had a real cold winter that year.

last year i ordered a fresh one from a meat market here in WI, much to my surprise on thursday, it was frozen!

when i asked them about it, they said that it had to be a "little" frozen to ship it

i just came from a different meat market a few towns over to ask about their "fresh" ones, & they said that they are still running around on the farm! i'm picking it up on wed, so i will let you know if it is worth the extra money.

one question.......do you stuff or bake separately? i personally still stuff-figured it has always been done that way & i'm still here to talk about it!