Community Message Boards

Thread: Old review: Salmon with Black Bean Sauce!!! (Jan. 01)

Thumbs up Old review: Salmon with Black Bean Sauce!!! (Jan. 01)

Oh my oh my oh my...This was dinner last night, and it was the most luscious salmon dish I think I've ever had, let alone made myself! The spicy sauce perfectly offsets the creamy salmon, and it was wonderful over brown rice (my new favorite discovery! Who knew rice could actually taste good?). This dish would be very good for company, but it is quick enough to make for a weeknight throw-together supper. And if you make the change that I did, you'll nearly always have the sauce ingredients on hand.

My only change (aside from using salmon steak instead of filet) was to sub jarred black bean sauce for the chopped fermented black beans. If you're intimidated by fermented beans, I bet you've eaten such a sauce at many a Chinese restaurant and not even known it. It's very tasty and distinct. I think I'll have to journey into Chinatown for the real beans, but I did find the jarred stuff at Whole Foods, called "Black Bean Sauce with Chilis" from a manufacturer whose name is written in Chinese. So I used a couple dollops of that, and omitted the crushed red pepper because of the chile in the sauce (which was kind of oily, but the convenience was worth it).

Steamed Salmon with Black Bean Sauce
    From Cooking Light

Salmon isn't traditional in Chinese cooking, but since it's common in the United States and works so beautifully with the black bean sauce, we chose it for this recipe. Steaming accentuates the fresh flavor or the ingredients. The sumptuous sauce is redolent of garlic and ginger; it will highlight the flavor of any seafood, meat, or vegetable dish.

Marinade:
    2 tablespoons rice wine or sake
    1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
    2 (1-pound) salmon fillets (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
    Cooking spray

Sauce:
    1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup rice wine or sake
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons fermented black beans, rinsed, drained, and chopped
    3 tablespoons minced green onions
    2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Remaining ingredient:
    2 tablespoons minced green onion tops

To prepare the marinade, combine the first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Marinate in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Remove fillets from bag, and discard marinade. Place the fillets, skin sides down, on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
    Preheat oven to 450.

To prepare sauce, combine broth and next 4 ingredients (broth through cornstarch) in a small bowl. Heat oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans and the next 4 ingredients (beans through red pepper); stir-fry 10 seconds. Add broth mixture; bring to a boil, and cook for 1 minute or until thick.

Pour black bean mixture over fillets; cover pan with foil. Bake at 450 for 17 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Cut the fillets into 6 portions; serve with sauce, and sprinkle with minced onion tops.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 5 ounces fish, about 1/3 cup sauce, and 1 teaspoon onion tops)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 340 (40% from fat); FAT 15.2g (sat 2.6g, mono 6.8g, poly 4g); PROTEIN 32.6g; CARB 13.5g; FIBER 0.3g; CHOL 99mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 547mg; CALC 23mg;
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I'm always looking for new fish recipes.
    Thanks for the review.
    ...ummmm do you think Mahi-Mahi could be used in this recipe
    I've got some thawing for tomorrow
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Have never seen "fermented black beans"... are they sold in a tub? refrigerated? in a can? a tube?!

I'm sure it would lose something but what about just subbing regular black beans if you can't find any fermented ones? Would you use more than 3 tablespoons?

Thanks!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

Wallycat--

Sure, I think you could use any fish in this, since it's the sauce that really makes the dish. I just thought the salmon put it over the top and made it special (it was also an exceptionally tasty piece of salmon, even without the sauce). But no matter what the fish, I would be licking my plate regardless!

Lynn--Subbing regular black beans wouldn't work, since fermented have a very distinct taste and don't really taste like black beans at all. My recommendation would be to do what I did...buy a jarred black bean sauce at the store and use about the same amount. Then you don't have to waste time chopping, always an added bonus! Mine has chiles in it, so it's already spicy, but I'm pretty sure you can also find black bean with garlic sauce, too.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

Lynn,

Rebecca is right - you definitely SHOULD NOT substitute regular black beans for fermented ones. It's like apples and oranges, two completely different things.

I have seen fermented black beans in a jar at Asian markets, but you would definitely need an Asian market in order to find them. You won't find them at a grocery store. You probably will be able to find jarred black bean sauce at a regular grocery store, though. If your store carries any Asian products, like soy sauce, chile paste, or coconut milk, they probably have black bean sauce. Sunluck and Lee Kum Kee are two popular brands.

"Have never seen "fermented black beans"... are they sold in a tub? refrigerated? in a can? a tube?!"

If anybody has a grocery store that sells the Presidents Choice products (originally from Canada but I think they've moved into the American market), they do a "Memories of HongKong Black Bean Sauce" that I've used forever in this recipe.

It just needs to be thinned a bit with some chicken broth and a splash of wine. It's already got the spices in it but I usually add a bit more garlic.

Just saw this thread and this dish is really awesome. I used rock cod which I got from a Chinese market and steamed it as an individual serving in foil. It's a great dish for someone who cooks for one or two because you can freeze the sauce and cook only as much fresh fish as you need.

I think the black bean issue was resolved in the thread but they are the beans sold in little tins in any Asian market. They are absolutely necessary for the taste.

The sauce would also lend itself to boneless chicken breasts.