Community Message Boards

Thread: Cranberry Jello Dish

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.

Question Cranberry Jello Dish

Ack, I know some will gag at the thought of Jello on the T-day table, but mom expressed a wistful desire for "Auntie's" Jello Cranberry salad. I searched, but didn't see a recipe that sounded right.

I'm pretty sure the main incredients were jello, pureed/smashed cranberries, and perhaps some citrus fruit since Auntie grew it for a living. No grapes or sour cream (ack!) like in some recipes I saw posted.

If no one has anyting like this, I'll make something up. I'm also making the Mulled Cranberry Sauce for something more to my taste!

Also - I don't own a Jello mold. Could I use mini-bundts to make cute little ones?

Thanks,
    Kristin
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

This was my nightmare last year. I too have an auntie that insists on cranberry jello salad *shudder*.

Spiced Cranberry Salad
    Ingredients
    1-1/2 cups boiling water
    2 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Brand Cranberry Flavor Gelatin
    1 can (16 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce
    1 cup cold water
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. ground cloves
    1 orange, sectioned, diced
    1/2 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnuts

Preparation
    STIR boiling water into gelatin in large bowl 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Stir in cranberry sauce, cold water, lemon juice, cinnamon and cloves. Refrigerate about 1-1/2 hours or until thickened (spoon drawn through leaves a definite impression).

STIR in orange and walnuts. Spoon into 5-cup mold sprayed with no stick cooking.

REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until firm. Unmold. Garnish as desired.

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Cranberry Jello Salad

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Fast Low-Cal
    Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 cups cranberries, fresh
    1 tablespoon orange rind
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 small packages orange jello
    1 cup water
    1 cup orange juice
    2 cups apple -- unpeeled, diced
    1/2 cup walnut pieces -- (optional)

Grind berries. Add orange rind and sugar. Let stand (stir
    occasionally). Heat water and orange juice. Add to orange jello and
    stir until jello dissolves. Let stand until cooled. Add cranberry mix,
    apples and nuts, stir well, pour into a 2 qt mold. Chill to set.
    Serves 8-10.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

There's a really good one in my mother's Better Homes and Garden's cookbook. (Not sure exactly which edition; she was married in 1974 and I *always* remember it around, so I'm guessing it was published in the early '70s.) Unfortunately she's in another state and I don't have the recipe with me. But it uses cranberry-orange relish and we like it quite a bit.

This probably doesn't help at all, but maybe it might trigger someone else who has the book to look up the recipe?

Stop your "shuddering"!!!

Jello is comfort food!!!
    I was planning to transfer the recipe for my Grandmother's cranberry gelatin salad to Mastercook today and when I do I will post it in this thread. As I was growing up, we had this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is really good, full of cranberries, apples, celery, oranges and nuts. Full of nutrition (okay, discount the sugar...) and lowfat.

It was never molded, but scooped out of the bowl onto lettuce leaves.

I'll post it later.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

This was DH's favorite growing up. There isn't really a recipe, but I'll write what I do to make it. I'm sorry I don't have measurements. If I make it this year, I could watch how much I use.

Mom's Red Stuff
    box of lemon jello
    box of lime jello
    canned whole berry cranberry sauce
    ginger ale
    cream cheese, at room temperature
    whipped cream or cool whip

Make the jello using 1/2 hot water and 1/2 ginger ale. Add in the cranberry sauce and mix. Pour in to 9 x 11 pan. Put in fridge to gel. Mix together cream cheese and whipped cream until smooth. Frost
    jello with cream cheese and whipped cream. Serve by cutting into slices like a cake.

There are two recipes for molded salad using cranberries in my 1962 Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I have not tried either one, but here they are.

Cranberry-Avocado Ring

Dissolve two 3-ounce packages lemon-flavored gelatin in 2 cups hot cranberry-juice cocktail. Add 2 cups cold cocktail, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spoon thin layer into 6 1/2 cup ring mold. Chill till partially set. Peel 1 ripe avocado, slice lengthwise; arrange along sides of mold, ends in gelatin. Chill.

Chill remaining gelatin till partially set. Add 1 cup finely diced unpared apple, 1 cup finely diced celery, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Spoon into mold. Chill firm. Serves 8 to 10.

Cranberry Relish Mold

1 9-ounce can crushed pineapple
    1 3-ounce package cherry-flavored gelatin
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespon lemon juice
    1 cup ground fresh cranberries
    1 small unpeeled orange (seeds removed), ground
    1 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Drain pineapple. Reserve syrup, add water to make 1/2 cup. Dissolve gelatin, sugar in 1 cup hot water. Add syrup, lemon juice. Chill till partially set. Add fruits, celery, nuts. Chill in 5-cup ring overnight. Serves 8 to 10.

Thanks everyone! These are definitely the right type of idea. I'll have to ask mom if she remembers nuts in "Auntie's" salad. I don't personally shudder at the thought, but I remember I'd always take a small amount just to be polite, and never went for seconds!

Any thoughts on the mini-bundt idea? I've only made jello in a pan/bowl, never tried to dump it out onto a plate.

p.s. I just made the Mulled Cranberries and they're so tasty!

--Kristin

BH&G

This is from my Mom's BH&G

Cranberry Mold

1 cup ground raw cranberries
    1 cup ground unpared apple
    1 cup sugar
    1 3-ounce package lemon-flavored gelatine
    1 cup hot water
    1 cup pineapple syrup
    1/2 cup seeded Tokay grape halves
    1/4 cup broken California walnuts
    6 pineapple slices

Combine cranberries, apple, amd sugar. Dissolve gelatine in hot water; add syrup; chill till partially set. Add cranberry-apple mixture, grapes, and nuts. Pour into individual molds; chill until firm.

Unmold onto pineapple slices on crisp lettuce.

Pass mayonnaise. Makes 6 servings.
    Leisa

Re: Cranberry Jello Dish

Originally posted by LonghornGal
    I don't own a Jello mold. Could I use mini-bundts to make cute little ones?

Thanks,
    Kristin
    They should work, but I'd spray them with Pam first, to be sure they will relase. You also might want to try it out first with just some plain Jello and see how it does....
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

I'd have to say I do not care at all for cranberries at T-giving. BUT, my mom makes some sort of cranberry jello type salad that is sooo good. It has mandarin oranges and pecans (or maybe walnuts) in it. It is not molded like most jellos, so maybe that would be more up your alley?

I could get the recipe if you're interested.

Christina
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

I'm going to see mom this afternoon so I'll ask her more about the dish. I've got a pretty good feeling that one of the BHG ones is it as my Auntie cooked out of those alot. I'll report back if there are any earth-shattering revelations!

I just really like the mold idea - if I'm making Jello salad, I'm doing it all out! or is the correct term "mould"?

--Kristin

Cool

Here's another my husband's Aunt Marion used to serve, which sounds like a fleshing out of the recipe colleency metioned above. Not being a great fan of Jello salads, I can say I remember this as being good if you're into Jello salads:

FROSTED CRANBERRY SALAD

1 13 1/2 ounce can crushed pineapple in syrup
    1 ounce package lemon Jello
    1 7 ounce bottle ginger ale
    1 1 pound can jellied cranberry sauce (now, interestingly, when I saw her make this once, I SWEAR she used fresh cranberries)
    1 2 ounce package dessert topping mix
    1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional

Drain pineapple, reserving syrup. Add water to make 1 cup; heat to boil. Dissolve Jello in hot liquid; cool. Gently stir in ginger ale; chill till partially set. Blend fruits; fold into Jello. turn intno 9 x 9 x 2 dsih; chill until firm. Prepare topping according to package. Blend into cheese. Spread over Jello.

Optional: Toast nuts in 1 tablespoon butter at 350º for 10 minutes. Sprinkle atop. Chill.

Everyone loves this salad...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gram's Thanksgiving Salad

Serving Size : 8

1 cup water
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup fresh cranberries
    1 envelope gelatin powder
    1/2 cup cold water
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts -- or a mix of walnuts
    and pecans
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 large Granny Smith apple -- chopped
    1 large orange -- peeled and chopped

Combine sugar and water and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.

Add crnaberries and boil for 5 minutes longer, stirring frequently.

Mix together gelatin and clod water in a small bowl. Andd slowly to the cranberry mixture, stirring until the gelatin is completely dissolved.

Pour into a bowl and chill until soft (this will take 2-3 hours).

Add nuts, celery, apple, and orange. Mix well.

Chill until firm (about 4-5 hours).

Serve on lettuce leaves.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 183 Calories (kcal); 4g Total Fat; (20% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 36mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Been making this for years. It's easy and not too jello-y though it is "congealed" as the recipe says.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cranberry Congealed Salad

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Family Favorites Holiday Favorites
    Salads Sides

1 package black cherry jello
    1 package lemon jello
    1 Cup boiling water
    1 whole orange -- juiced & grated rind
    1 whole lemon -- juiced
    1 large can crushed pineapple -- drained
    1 can whole cranberry sauce
    1 cup chopped pecans

Dissolve jello in boiling water.

Add remaining ingredients.

Blend well.

Chill until firm.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 85 Calories; 7g Fat (65.8% calories
    from fat); 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
    1mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2
    Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Here is my contribution. This is from a power bill in Columbus, Indiana 1971. Still make it every year, has the jello but never molds so firm that you can unmold it out of the dish so i just put it in a nice clear glass bowl that looks beautiful.

Crunchy Cranberry Salad

Mix in blender (not processor) until all is uniform in size: (you have to stop and scrape it down a couple of times)

8 ounces fresh cranberries
    1 naval orange, quartered (skin included)
    Juice from one small can crushed pineapple
    1 T. lemon juice

Dissolve 1 regular size box cherry jello with 1 cup hot water then add:

1 cup sugar
    1 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    drained pineapple

Combine all and pour into glass bowl, cover and refrig.

Cranberries & Pickle Relish?????

Won't claim to have made this . . .

TART CRANBERRY MOLD

One year Grandma H was wanting to take a different salad down to the Harbor for our annual family Thanksgiving dinner with the C side of the family. While looking through my cookbooks I found this recipe listed in two: Favorite Brand Name Recipe Cookbook and Best Recipes From the backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars.

The following is directly from the book.

This just might be the recipe you’ve been trying to track down. It’s that tart-sweet cranberry mold your mother or perhaps her best friend always served with the Thanksgiving turkey. There are dozens of variations, but this one from Heinz® is, in my opinion, the best. Certainly it’s one of the first and appeared in a booklet printed back in 1946.

1 3oz Package Lemon Flavored Gelatin
    1/3C chopped Heinz Sweet Pickles
    1-1/2C Boiling Water
    3T Sugar
    1-1/2C Raw Cranberries
    2C Prepared Whipped-Topping Mix
    1/2 Medium Orange, seeded, unpeeled

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; chill until slightly thickened. Meanwhile, put cranberries and orange through food chopper using fine blade. Stir in pickles and sugar. Fold cranberry mixture into thickened gelatin; then gently fold in whipped-topping mix. Pour into a 1-quart dish or 8-1/2 cup molds. Chill until firm. Unmold on lettuce or endive. 8 servings.

One book notes: May serve as a dessert topped with additional whipped topping, if desired.

The ingredients are not quite in order as the recipe had tabs and I had to align.

Linda~

Again, thanks to all. Never realized there was so much diversity in Jello dishes. Pickles??? guess I'll have to try it before I knock it though.

Mom and I recall cranberries, some sort of orange, chopped nuts, and celery in a very red jello. Auntie eats Jello every day for her hair and nails, so it's likely she had her own special recipe. I think I'll be able to come up with something given the recipes above!

Of course, we could actually call Auntie for the recipe, but what would be the fun in that???

--Kristin

I used the one from the Thanksgiving 101 cookbook by Rick Rodgers. It is actually pretty good. I will dig it up and post tommorrow.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Mom picked Gram's Thanksgiving Salad out of the pile. Although it definitely wasn't the same as Auntie's, we liked it better. So don't tell my Auntie, but we'll be making this one again!

What we liked best about this one is that it didn't use any flavored Jello, which made certain that the fruits we added were the true source of the taste. Not that I have anything against flavored Jello - acctually contemplated buying the "Joy of Jello" cookbook I saw on special at B&N but successfully resisted the beautiful rainbow creation on the cover.

--Kristin